VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 24, 2018, 09:57 AM

Holy shiii- I’ve wanted something like this for a long, long time. Where was the confirmation for this? Not seeing a SEM post on the official site yet.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:14 AM

illidan often adds fantasy albums ;p
Old May 24, 2018, 10:32 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Source: http://www.neowing.co.jp/product/SQEX-20055
Old May 24, 2018, 11:57 AM

Awesome, thanks. I'm in the minority but I love the blu-ray format for soundtracks and was hoping they'd at least reissue FFI-III sometime the way they did FFIV-VI on CD.
Old May 24, 2018, 02:17 PM
Trusted Editor

I'll buy this, it's really nice to have music in a BD format as one disc instead of 2-6 discs, but if we're going by historical metrics they really do not do that great of a job with BDA. It's either upconverted from 44.1kHz/16bit audio or it's poorly mastered. :/
Old May 24, 2018, 03:40 PM
VGMdb Advisor

The only thing that would make me excited would be the inclusion of the MSX audio here as well.
Old May 25, 2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
The only thing that would make me excited would be the inclusion of the MSX audio here as well.
Completely agreed.
Old May 25, 2018, 03:16 PM

Looking forward to this, and the cover is pretty nice.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 05:39 PM

What does BDA stand for? Google wasn't helpful.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 05:45 PM
Trusted Editor

BDA is bluray disc audio, BDV is bluray disc video, BD is usually both. In this instance, and with all the SQEX BD releases, the audio has been terrible. The video montages they have are actually pretty good, but the mastering audio quality is just not good. See Xenogears BD release & other threads.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
Ditto. That's still my favorite way to listen to these soundtracks.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 03:06 AM

dancey:

BDA mixing and mastering are always difficult if the materials given were in less than those HD format. Personally, I learned this in a hard way while I was working for some video games.

On top of that, unfortunately there are many engineers who have no clues when it comes to HD audio productions which present some very different issues than normal format. One needs to have both specialized knowledge and tools to solve these, since the issues often happens in the range well-beyond our listening capability.

In the normal production with samples and synth are only or main sources, it is best to keep in SD format, or 48/24 at the best.
Unless the original recordings of real performances were captured in 96/24 or higher format, don't go 96/24 for marketing sake. It will present problems more than improvements on audio quality (which is virtually nothing, unfortunately).

But, unfortunately, many people don't know this.
It is like pouring amount of small-sized coke into a large-sized cup, with extra ice.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 04:15 AM

That;s still no excuse for making the audio WORSE than the original.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 04:24 AM

Dear TerraEpon

You are absolutely right about that. There is no excuse.
And I do have concerns for many remastered HD works with no involvement of original creators and/or people personally feel responsible for audio quality...
Old Jul 20, 2018, 04:40 AM
Trusted Editor

I totally agree with your sentiments about mastering being an issue with so many releases where the audio quality is less than what BD supports but I also agree with TE in that one shouldn't make it *worse* than the original. After all, we are talking about 8 and 16 bit soundtracks. It's clear that SQEX likes these releases because they can fit a *lot* more into a single disc than a regular CD release, which would typically span 4-6 CDs and they can add beautiful FMVs to the disc for use in Bluray players.

If they are mostly using it for space-saving constraints, then I just wish they would leave the audio as-is rather than try to upconvert it for the format. I'm not sure that is possible because I'm not an audio engineer .

If I recall correctly, the FFXIV BD releases don't have this problem, but that is probably because all of those music source files are in an appropriate format already (i.e., not 8/16bit era).

At the end of the day I still purchase them
Old Jul 20, 2018, 05:13 AM

I'm gonna be honest, instead of releasing all those useless BD crap
SQEX should reprint old sfc/ps stuff like bahamut lagoon, rudra (with aquarians typo correction), treasure hunter g osts, etc.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
I'm gonna be honest, instead of releasing all those useless BD crap
SQEX should reprint old sfc/ps stuff like bahamut lagoon, rudra (with aquarians typo correction), treasure hunter g osts, etc.
You're seriously gonna complain about a typo on the liner notes that no one cares about when there were missing tracks? I agree that they should reprint them though since the originals are hard to find, granted they're not the cash cow that FF is.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 07:35 AM

The official site mentions something about "memorial films" that differ based on the shop you buy it from. Just curious if anyone knows anything about what these are and what the differences are.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 08:48 AM

If you search that term in the original Japanese on Google images, that might be an indication of what you're getting. I forget what they're called in English - photo reel or highlight reel or something like that. Here's another example from the Parasite Eve album (see left side): https://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=97878
Old Aug 17, 2018, 08:32 AM

Well, my copy arrived, but I don't see anything extra packed in >.>
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:09 PM

where did you buy yours from? I got mine from CD Japan and there was a pack in film thingy.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellfish View Post
Well, my copy arrived, but I don't see anything extra packed in >.>
Eh, not that I dislike extras, but the film thingy isn't that impressive. That said, I remember being bummed that I didn't get the badges that were to come with the standalone MM7 and MM8 OSTs eons ago, but given that we have the ECan/Rockman Soundbox it's kind of pointless to worry about that now.

Also, note that the track-listing is in the booklet in English, so what's listed in the entry is an/the official translation.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:14 AM

Though I have not order the product, the official site states that the extra film thing is an extra for product purchased at or from specific stores: Amazon, SQUARE ENIX e-STORE, Sony Music Shop, Yodobashi, and TOWER RECORDS ONLINE.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:37 AM
Trusted Editor

@Cellfish: Any chance for some mastering analysis?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Not the what you're looking for, but the first thing I noticed was a boost on FFIII's main volume. I have the original OST and this was one of the main things I wanted with this disc. Didn't notice much with FFI/II though.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James O View Post
where did you buy yours from? I got mine from CD Japan and there was a pack in film thingy.
Amazon Japan. I guess they just missed mine or something. I don't really care that much, but thought it might be worth mentioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
I'm not the best at this stuff, but I loaded up the biggest file (Track 91, "The Everlasting World") in Audacity and this is what the spectrogram looks like. (this is the lossless audio track, not the MP3 copy)

It sounds great to me. Would a higher frequency range help 8-bit music much anyway?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 05:35 PM

Apparently there are 3 different bonus films. When you buy the album, you randomly get one of the three.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 06:59 PM

Does anyone know what these "memorial films" are exactly? They look too small to be optical media. Are they downloadable with some sort of code?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 06:09 AM
Trusted Editor

The official website picture(s) and description are exactly what they are. They are not media.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 08:02 AM

I see, so the type of film isn't "a motion picture" but is rather something like "a thin flexible strip of plastic" with some art on it. Thanks, that is helpful to know!