VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 23, 2011, 05:53 AM

Default Reasons for Collecting

----------

Last edited by Calatia; Aug 8, 2011 at 02:52 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:51 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I don't seem to fit in one of your categories. I just like to have my favourite music in physical form. (vgm is just one kind of music I like) Of course, I'm looking for complete sets of CDs but I'm not depressed if one happens to miss the obi.

Last edited by AcidBeast; Jan 23, 2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:21 AM

----------

Last edited by Calatia; Aug 8, 2011 at 02:52 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:36 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatia View Post
Aye, so you collect to own. It's just that the condition of the album isn't a huge matter of importance.
Eh, yeah. Haha, I kind of misread the part after the comma. My bad.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:47 AM

----------

Last edited by Calatia; Jun 5, 2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:37 AM

Personally, I collect videogame music mainly because I want to hear again some tracks without having the hassle of replaying the game. The only thing that concerns me is the CD's condition, for that reason I used to do WAV rips of each disc I've got... That's it, I don't care if the package/content get damaged over time, or there's something missing.... Never wanted to trade or sell anything, if I'm lucky enough to get my hands on something, I keep it... Can't leave my precioussss
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440

Last edited by ilef; Jan 24, 2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 06:33 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I collect for many reasons. I buy soundtracks partly to have some kind of souvenir of a great game. And (possibly) to display that I like VGM. But ofcourse also, because I actually like the soundtracks.

I guess you could say that I buy soundtracks to own, since VGM is basically my only hobby and is the only thing I spend my money on today.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 03:00 PM
Trusted Editor

I collect because gotta catch them all!
Old Feb 12, 2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
The second type collects to obtain, usually for the purpose of copying the album to their computer.
Usually these are the audiophiles that aren't content with downloading a rip of an album off the web, especially if it's in a lossy format.
This is me for the most part. Whenever I buy a CD, it always immediately goes into my computer in a lossless format. Rippers and bootleggers almost always have problems with noise and cracks in their rips, and it bothers me. I won't settle for anything but the best available, and for now, that's a CD.

But I do like having the albums if they have nice artwork or are in some kind of special packaging. That's always nice.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 09:37 PM

I collect game music because I like it. I've owned several hundred albums physically over time, and a few hundred at this moment since I trade with and give stuff away to friends. Sometimes I have just the CD with no packaging at all, but it's okay, because if I like the music, then it's worth it. I like the materialistic part of collecting, all the packaging and such. It's fun, but not really a reason I collect.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:24 PM

Perhaps to relieve some sort-of guilt of listening to vgm for years for free.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 05:42 PM

What a fine hobby vgm collecting is. Of course mans have to spend his limited time on earth and do something while at it. That's where vgm collecting comes along.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 04:34 AM

I think I'd probably fall into the second category a bit more. What's weird to me is when you find game soundtracks in a record store.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
As far as I can tell, there are two types of collectors.
Why do you collect video game music?
Because I still use CD Players over MP3s anyday. :3 If there are vinyl of it, then I'll more than likely own those too...I still listen to Dvorak and Debussy on the trusty record player.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Why do you collect video game music?
I'm actually more of an anime fan then video game music. Still, the reason why I collect them both is the same: I really like to have a physical item so I can easily play them whenever I want. I'm more of the first type - collect to own.

Sometimes the CDs includes some nice extras and well worth the trouble of finding (and collecting). Of course most of them are probably worth more and harder to get...
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:48 PM

I didn't start out collecting VGM for the sake of collecting. 12 years ago, buying new albums was the only way to really discover music that you hadn't encountered while playing games (which obviously leaves out a shit ton of albums for stuff that never left Japan, not to mention much of the arranged albums in existence). Reviews and samples at places like soundtrackcentral were a huge help in seeing what was out there. So adding some here, some there, it adds up over time.

A lot of my collection now is stuff that has eaten its' way into my very psyche and was either from stuff I was already familiar with or discovered through that whole "exploration" period way back when, when I stumbled onto Tokimeki Memorial, Falcom, KOF, Sakura Wars, etc. I'm pretty out of touch with a lot of newer VGM, so usually when I add something nowadays, it is an older, coveted release that has had the "want" factor building for awhile. *caresses Game Music Graffiti*
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
I collect because gotta catch them all!
Wow, I was trying to find some way to express why I collect in words. Thank you, good sir, for saying it for me.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 08:56 PM

i collect because game music lets me experience the game again without actually playing it. music sticks in my head and i can actually capture some of the same feeling as i did when i was playing. also i love the artwork and packaging.

Last edited by Lao Shan Lung; Jan 7, 2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:15 PM

i dunno...just wanna get the physical disk at hand if i like the music,and i get used to collecting.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:58 AM

Back when I was 15 I played NES, than later SNES. I remember taping sevral of the spongs from various games to listen to.

SInce 1997 I've collected game music to remember both the game story but more importantly moments in my life that looking back were just perfect.

I still collect, share and enjoy vg music but those games and their OSTS I will always remember