VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 6, 2015, 08:01 AM

Guessing Clock Tower 3 isn't making the cut due to licensing with Capcom. These are all Sunsoft licensed?
Old Dec 5, 2015, 08:23 PM

Are the CDs different between the limited edition and the non-limited edition? Is the only difference the vinyl? And the price... doubles??? From 5,400 to 10,969?

This vinyl necromancy trend must stop! STOP IT! Why not tapes? I still listen to tapes, they're so portable, cute, hard to break.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 04:14 AM

This is looking really nice, I'm glad I ordered it. :)

Old Feb 23, 2016, 02:40 AM
Trusted Editor

So yeah, went through the staff rolls of various games (probably for nothing as with my luck the full booklet will have composer info, though the event site also seems to back these up) to check who composed what and here's what I've come up:

DISC1
01~33: CLOCK TOWER (SFC)
Composer: Kouji Niikura
Sound Effect: Kaori Takazoe
(Source: https://youtu.be/3XJ6w7T0_A4?t=48m14s )
34~50: CLOCK TOWER ~The First Fear~ (PS)
Sound Editors: Kouji Niikura, Kaori Takazoe
Source: https://youtu.be/zwcaZOuTSVo?t=1h12m49s (fan translated staff roll)
Source: https://youtu.be/56sh5BCBgjc?t=1h1m36s (Original japanese)

DISC2
01~14: CLOCK TOWER for Windows95 (SC-55)
15~27: CLOCK TOWER for Windows95 (FM)
Same as Playstation Port (Source: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22932752 17:26 min part)

DISC3
01~47: CLOCK TOWER 2 (PS) (Released as Clock Tower in US)
Sound Produce & Sound Effect: Kaori Takazoe
Sound Compose: Kouji Niikura
Source: https://youtu.be/SY-KYC0NZJs?t=1h20m26s

DISC4
01~43: CLOCK TOWER GHOST HEAD (PS) (Released as Clock Tower II: The Struggle Within in US)
BGM: Kaori Takazoe
Source: Sound Effect: Ichiro Atsuno
https://youtu.be/zGD4dVnmsls?t=3h37m10s

So, it's Niikura composing all of these except Ghost Head, which is Takazoe.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 05:23 AM

There were images missing from the current scans, so I uploaded all of mine, keep what you want. A few images were named incorrectly as well; The entire thing comes in a big box, and the discs are all packed in digipaks, that are housed in a slipcase.
Edit: There is no scan of the back of the box simply because it is pitch black without any text.

Last edited by BoneSatyr; Feb 25, 2016 at 05:31 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 05:37 AM
VGMdb Staff

Surely it's no contest - BoneSatyr's exceptional scans trump the old ones completely.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 01:35 AM
VGMdb Administrator

There was a live event for this album in 2015, which was attended by Kouji Niikura, Kaori Takazoe... and Masafumi Takada. http://claricedisc.com/ct20th/event.html

All three are listed as "composers," though Takada's bio doesn't list any specific Clock Tower game he wrote music for, and the game's not in the works list on his site.

Kaori Takazoe's bio on the event site says she was the "main composer" of Ghost Head, which seems like a weird thing to say if she was the only composer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
DISC4
01~43: CLOCK TOWER GHOST HEAD (PS) (Released as Clock Tower II: The Struggle Within in US)
BGM: Kaori Takazoe
Source: Sound Effect: Ichiro Atsuno
https://youtu.be/zGD4dVnmsls?t=3h37m10s
After this, there's "Team Humania" with three people, all of whom were also Human composers: Chiyomaru Shikura, Kenji Hikita, and Masafumi Takada (mistranslated as Masashi). Maybe they contributed music as well!

Shikura didn't compose though => https://twitter.com/chiyomaru5pb/sta...74642997137408
Old Sep 10, 2022, 01:03 AM

Did anyone watch the event video mentioned above by Nisto in full? I'd like to know where they sourced the music from as I've found a comment suggesting that Clarice Disc uses emulation for their soundtracks. Disc 3 with Clock Tower 2 (not Ghost Head) in particular sounds like parts of it are just converted from ripped game files. That is, the FMV stuff with SFX, such as 3.01. It would be interesting to see a spectral analysis for these tracks and to compare them to the game files.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 02:56 AM

Well as you've already shown in your other post there's nothing strong to really back up random YouTube commenter's claim. With the list of people Clarice has on recording staff for some of their releases, I doubt they're relying on emulation.

For soundtracks with sequenced or streamed audio, you're not gonna get cleaner than what it sounds like in-game unless someone happens to have held onto the original uncompressed files somewhere, which is historically a toss-up. You have stuff like Shin Megami Tensei 3 where everything aside from what was included on the initial 2003 soundtrack releases is seemingly lost forever, but then you have clean TGCD Ys I & II cutscene tracks without voices showing up three decades later in 2020. So those Clocktower 2 tracks containing sound effects doesn't really mean anything other than that cleaner versions probably don't exist.

I didn't sit through the whole event video, but it was mostly hally asking the composers about the history of Human, followed by one of the Clarice staff members playing through the SFC game with everyone commentating.

Last edited by Aifread; Sep 10, 2022 at 03:01 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
Well as you've already shown in your other post there's nothing strong to really back up random YouTube commenter's claim. With the list of people Clarice has on recording staff for some of their releases, I doubt they're relying on emulation.

For soundtracks with sequenced or streamed audio, you're not gonna get cleaner than what it sounds like in-game unless someone happens to have held onto the original uncompressed files somewhere, which is historically a toss-up. You have stuff like Shin Megami Tensei 3 where everything aside from what was included on the initial 2003 soundtrack releases is seemingly lost forever, but then you have clean TGCD Ys I & II cutscene tracks without voices showing up three decades later in 2020. So those Clocktower 2 tracks containing sound effects doesn't really mean anything other than that cleaner versions probably don't exist.

I didn't sit through the whole event video, but it was mostly hally asking the composers about the history of Human, followed by one of the Clarice staff members playing through the SFC game with everyone commentating.
Thanks for the insight. Yeah, I guess no one kept the source files for the FMV music. But to be fair, I think there's some clean stuff on disc 3 that probably wasn't included in previous rips of Clock Tower 2. The accusations may be a case of jumping to conclusions. ben忍's musings were mostly based on the tempo of the music, it seems. And his own recording was slower than the Bionic Commando albums anyway.

On the Ys stuff: yeah, I think the clean versions surprised everyone...who found out about the release. It's criminal how under-the-radar that was and that there's no way to get them legitimately now.