VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:13 AM

Question Chrono Trigger arrangement by Shota Shimizu

I've got a question that bothers me for days now and I don't know what to do v_v

In 2009 Japanese artist Shota Shimizu released a single called 美しき日々よ / さよならはいつも側 (Utsukushiki Hibi yo / Sayonara wa Itsumo Soba ni). Track three on this single is a modern pop version of Chrono Trigger's 風の憧憬 with lyrics.

Should this be added to the database and how do I tag this?
It's not an official promo, instead I would call it a fanwork even though we got a celebrity perform the song.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:34 AM

It's already added. This album is set to Official, as it was published from a big record company so it was highly likely they got the licence from SQEX (Mitsuda mentioned this album too), so it doesn't fall under a typical Doujin/Fan-made album.

Btw, didn't Mitsuda talk on twitter about another main-stream album that featured his music?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 03:35 AM

Thanks, that was quick. I wonder why I didn't found the single when searching for CT on VGMdb but if it's already added that's just fine.

But nevertheless I think "official" isn't right in this case. Some composers sometimes mention remixes by ocremix members and that's not official. In my opinion "official" means that a album/single/song was produced because of an appointment.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viaan View Post
Some composers sometimes mention remixes by ocremix members and that's not official.
Oh yeah that's a good point (he just did it!) and I forgot we abolished "Official" longs ago. Now it's "Commercial". We haven't tighten up the definition yet, so what "Commercial" is may vary by individual, but I think it's still hard to classify this album as "Fan-made", since this guy got the licence from SQEX (the lack of licence is not always definitive to classify something as Doujin/Fan-made, but that's another story).

http://natalie.mu/music/news/18294
Quote:
この楽曲のサンプリング使用が公式に認められたのは、スーパーファミコン専用タイトルが1995年に発売さ れてから14年目にして今回が初。清水翔太の熱意が原曲作曲者の光田康典と発売元のスクウェア・エニックス 関係者に伝わり、ついに使用が許諾されることになった。
A very rough translation is "This is the first case the sampling use of this track was official allowed while 14 years had passed since the SNES title was released in 1995. The license was finally given, after Yasunori Mitsuda, the original composer and Square Enix, the publisher, listened to the eagerness of Shota Shimizu.".

Anyway, there is another album that features the same track from CT (10th track). You could go ahead and add it instead, but as only one track of the entire album is game-related, it might not be seen as a welcome addition by some users (same applies for that single).

Tags
adding to database, chrono trigger