VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 26, 2011, 03:49 AM

Default Lots of original rare video game soundtracks available!

Hi all

I'm new here, just to let you all know Ive decided its time to part with some of my beloved, extensive video game soundtrack collection. I've listed about 40 on ebay which you can bid on here -

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/ryanedwards1/...&_trksid=p3686

I also have lots of other rare titles, so if you are after a particular title or would like a list, let me know!

Thanks

Ryan
Old Jun 26, 2011, 04:26 AM

Default Catalogue numbers

Hi all

To check they are originals, if you see any on ebay and you want me to check the catalogue numbers, please ask - thanks!

Ryan
Old Jun 26, 2011, 04:38 AM
Trusted Editor

My advice would be to include the publisher and the catalog number in the description of the auction. And emphasize that the item you're selling is genuine and not a bootleg. I know a lot of people that just skip items completly if they don't find any catnumber. Just an advice though
Old Jun 26, 2011, 07:16 AM

Think you're right - will go through and update them with catalgue numbers - probably tomorrow as it took me so long to list them all. Will post here, when done.

Thanks

Ryan
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:28 AM

Hi there

All updated with catalogue numbers now :-)

Ryan
Old Jun 27, 2011, 04:23 AM

You really need to work on these listings - I'd need a lobotomy before I thought spending £150 on an OST with no photo and no description was a good idea. Any old idiot can copy a track listing and genuine catalogue number, that's no assurance to your potential customers that the Cd they're buying is genuine.

You'll get out of these auctions exactly what you put in - and to me your listings currently look lazy at best and a likely scam at worst.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 01:43 PM

Hi there

I have spent hours on these listings so I find your tone a bit offensive - I have put pictures, track listings and catalogue numbers on all my collection so perhaps you are looking at someone elses listing?

Ryan
Old Jun 27, 2011, 01:48 PM

If you look at the catalogue numbers, you will see around 5 are bootlegs and the rest are originals. If I was trying to con people (which would be stupid as I would probably get banned on ebay) then why would I list any bootlegs? You really should think before you type such nonsense.

If any serious collectors are interested and want any proof as to a particular title, then they can contact me and I can supply them with all of the information they will need to make an informed choice.

Perhaps someone is a little jealous of the extent of my collection - which I paid a fortune for originally ;-)

Ryan
Old Jun 27, 2011, 02:14 PM
Trusted Editor

The simple fact that you're putting bootlegs up for sale speaks volumes...
Old Jun 27, 2011, 02:34 PM

There are a few CDs you have listed that are on my wish list, but..

- Some are still missing catalog numbers

- You need to add real pictures (like your Shenmue auction) to all of them, not just the stock photo album art up there now

- Condition info? (minty, not minty, any scratches, etc)

- Completeness info? (w/ obi, booklet, stickers, etc)

I can't speak for anybody else but I personally won't bid on eBay VGM unless all of those conditions are met, especially at those prices.

Last edited by the_miker; Jun 27, 2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Indeed, a better place for them is the Best Buy recycle bins. At least they'll be turned into something useful....
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_miker View Post

- You need to add real pictures (like your Shenmue auction) to all of them, not just the stock photo album art up there now
Take another look at that photo - you'll see the text in the bottom left of the image reads "Copyright (C) Retrogames.co.uk".
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:17 PM

Hi there

Have added a real picture of Shenmue - but bear in mind that is one of the few A & G ones!

All are in mint condition and all are complete.

Are there any others you are interested in?

Any that dont sell I am quite happy to keep in my collection :-)

As a newbie on here I am just taken aback by the resentment to the fact I am selling over 35 original, very rare soundtracks, I thought you guys would be happy to get some you have been after rather than shoot me down in flames. I am a general collector rather than just a computer game collector, so when I originally started collecting these, I thought ALL my collection was genuine, it was only after I had spent hours cataloging them all onto ebay that someone from here asked what the catalogue number for the Zelda soundtrack was and revealed to me it was a bootleg (and so I adjusted the price down) - I was shocked - but then relieved to find when I checked and added the cat numbers, that very few were. If I was to start this whole process again, I would put original pics on, but you learn as you go along. As I have said I can supply pictures, anything anyone requires on particular titles. I think all cat numbers are up now, but again if I have missed one please let me know.

Thanks!

Ryan

Ryan
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagman View Post

As a newbie on here I am just taken aback by the resentment to the fact I am selling over 35 original, very rare soundtracks, I thought you guys would be happy to get some you have been after rather than shoot me down in flames.
  • You know you're selling bootlegs... and yet you still don't have the decency to outright mention it in the listings.
  • According to your eBay feedback you've only sold ten things in about seven years - one of those is a neg and another was retracted.
  • Despite the above black marks on your reputation you still think you don't need to supply genuine photos of your items or give a description beyond a nebulous "All are in mint condition and all are complete."
Old Jun 28, 2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Well, not so much simply selling bootlegs as trying to get people to pay full price for them. That's a good bit of the issue here.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 05:56 AM
Trusted Editor

Please keep in mind that selling (unlike buying and owning) bootlegs is against the law. You make yourself liable to prosecution if you knowingly put up bootlegs for sale.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 09:18 AM

Ya, as a noob the lessons you MUST learn (especially if you want the respect of members here) is NEVER use stock photos for your auctions. EVER. Take your own pics, preferably a complete picture that shows the front and back of the case, the CD itself and any and ALL inserts that are included. If you have bootlegs up, I'd remove them or make it EXPLICITLY CLEAR that they are bootlegs, as in change the auction description AND title to include that. You'd be surprised how fast a pissed off buyer can come after you. I've done the same thing as you, bought a bootleg not knowing the difference (Dracula X). I replaced it with an original as soon as I could and I did sell the bootleg on eBay. But I was not at all shy about informing everyone it was a bootleg and had large, clear pictures. And even after that I still found a buyer who was willing to pay. So you just have to be very careful with how you sell things, especially collectibles.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Please keep in mind that selling (unlike buying and owning) bootlegs is against the law. You make yourself liable to prosecution if you knowingly put up bootlegs for sale.
On eBay, a single seller selling a handful of bootlegs is worth nothing to the law. There are sellers who sell hundreds of them and do great business. Morally and legally, it's still objectionable, but it's unlikely that you'll face prosecution for doing so.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:23 PM
Trusted Editor

The question if a prosecutor shows up to sue you is a different one. I just wanted to point out that it's illegal to sells bootlegs, even if you clearly label them as such.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 08:10 PM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_miker View Post
There are a few CDs you have listed that are on my wish list, but..

- Some are still missing catalog numbers

- Condition info? (minty, not minty, any scratches, etc)

- Completeness info? (w/ obi, booklet, stickers, etc)

I can't speak for anybody else but I personally won't bid on eBay VGM unless all of those conditions are met, especially at those prices.
Sometimes I take it a step further and contact the seller directly, grilling him/her with questions about the soundtrack, asking for pics of the soundtrack and, if advertised as "used", ask for pics of the CD itself. There's a lot you can tell about the genuineness of a soundtrack by comparing the symbols/characters/numbers printed on the underside of the CD's inner-ring to an original.

Another thing that raises a red flag for me is if a seller refuses to use PayPal and instead insists on using credit or depute cards. Unless they're a legitimate and reputable business that I can research, there's no way I'm giving out my personal information to some stranger.

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.