VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 6, 2011, 12:39 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Found the pictures on this auction:
http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n93831749

Not sure honestly if Michiru Oshima composed or arranged, and I can't tell what the second credit on the back cover is...
Old May 6, 2011, 04:22 PM

Arrangement. The kanji for composition is a lot less dense. The second credit is for the conductor (Taizo Takemoto?).
Old May 6, 2011, 05:53 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I've changed the classification for Original Soundtrack. Why this album was classified as Original Work? Did I miss something? Sorry if I made a mistake.
Old May 6, 2011, 06:23 PM

I just supposed Oshima only did the trailer music
Old May 6, 2011, 06:43 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I see. If this is the music trailer from E3 2005, the track appears in the demo movie of the game. But if I'm not wrong, Michiru Oshima also arranged two tracks that weren't used in the game.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 11:19 PM

Taizo Takemoto posted a higher-quality photo of the contents some years ago. There's also a page on Nindori.com.

EDIT: The length of "The Legend of Zelda: Orchestra Piece #1" on this album is 2:10.480 (per an archived dump of the disc which I will not link to here).

Some will probably remember that IGN released an MP3 file "twilightprincess.mp3" for this on the very same day the Nindori issue with the CD was published. Curiously enough, though, IGN apparently didn't rip their file from the CD as their version is 2:12.519. More strangely, after doing a spectral analysis, IGN's MP3 file has a narrowed sample rate of 32 kHz as opposed to the CD track's 44.1 kHz. That means that IGN's file had a native 32 kHz file before it was upsampled to the distributed sample rate of 44.1 kHz (with the sample rate still capped at 32 kHz and the slight quality loss thus persisting, of course). Maybe IGN got their file directly from Nintendo? The demo movie that plays after the game's title screen also has 32 kHz audio, the file is called "demo_movie98_00.thp".

And then, someone in the chain of distribution made a grave mistake and added some erroneous MP3 tags to the file released on IGN. They identified the E3 2005 trailer music as the instrumental piece "Don't Want You No More" from The Allman Brothers Band, originally released on their 1969 album of the same name. This led to years of confusion about the piece's title when it was reuploaded on YouTube and such. In some strange parallel universe, the E3 2005 trailer for Twilight Princess might actually be set to that music from The Allman Brothers Band.

The punchline is that, whoever added the erroneous tags even managed to get them adopted and spread by Nintendo in an official manner. Another upsampled 32 kHz version of the track was uploaded to the official site where it was called "Twilight Princess Orchestra (Don't want you no More) (Bonus Track)" in the tags and had a length of 2:12.414 while being 1.3 db louder than IGN's file. So we have at least three different versions of that track floating around, not counting the ones in the game, on the HD Sound Selection and the HD Original Soundtrack (which may or may not be the same as any of those three listed here). Add to that the confusion about who composed it and you've got a foobar situation.

Last edited by zierts; Apr 18, 2021 at 09:28 AM.