VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 30, 2014, 03:02 PM
VGMdb Staff

I think that "Arrange Words": Steve Deutsch for tracks 15 is a typo on the booklet, since the Memorial Box report him as simple music arranger.
Does "Arrange Words" mean anything?

Last edited by depa; Jan 30, 2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depa View Post
I think that "Arrange Words": Steve Deutsch for tracks 15 is a typo on the booklet, since the Memorial Box report him as simple music arranger.
Does "Arrange Words" mean anything?
I came to the same conclusion when I was editing this album. In japanese sites, Steve Deutsch is always listed as 編曲 (arranger), and I think he has never been credited with anything related to lyrics. Along the same lines, the booklet credits for track 14 may belong to track 15, but I am not 100% sure about that.

Now that we're on it, I'd like to ask what's your criteria for naming the old Saint Seiya albums. The albums [32CC-2224], [32CC-2572] and [CC-3295] have translated titles, and in some cases the translated title doesn't even match the 'official' english titles of the movies. At the same time, the albums [32CC-2656], [32CC-2999], [COCC-7089] use the term "Hen" (romaji) as part of the title instead of a translation of said term ('Chapter' would be the most common translation).

I don't say that one thing is better than another, but I'd prefer to see an unified criteria for those albums.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 02:59 AM
VGMdb Staff

Long story short - there was 'killing' of unofficial English titles in the past few years. Putting unofficial translation (only for album title lines) isn't wanted anymore. If an official English title of the game/anime exists (comes from company/companies that well, obviously officially licensed the game/anime), it can be added as an alternate title (usually) for jp album releases; if it doesn't exist, title should be only in romanized form and should not be translated at all except for 'other' words that are part of the title, such as ongakushuu -> music collection etc. This specific part can be basically read as the tooltip whenever an album's edited/submitted.

Spoiler:
Quote:
line 1: Display Name
This is the name that will appear as the title when the album is displayed.
Generally, the name for an album comes from the title on the Front or the Spine.
If a game does not have an official English language release, don't submit a literal translation of the game's name. It is fine to translate other parts of the album title (e.g. Ongakushu -> Music Collection).
Never abbreviate to OST (unless the title really does include it, but this is rare).
All monospace characters should be mapped to the Latin charset equivalent, thus ~JASCII should be ~JASCII. Decorative symbols like ☆ are still permitted.

At the same time, tracklists can be still freely 'unofficially' translated.

That is how it's supposed to be.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 03:09 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdapi View Post
I came to the same conclusion when I was editing this album. In japanese sites, Steve Deutsch is always listed as 編曲 (arranger), and I think he has never been credited with anything related to lyrics. Along the same lines, the booklet credits for track 14 may belong to track 15, but I am not 100% sure about that.
I think the same, I don't remember but track 14 doen't have guitar pieces anyway it's a Yokohama work.. it speaks about vocal arrangement and registered in LA. It seems quite strange

Last edited by depa; Jan 31, 2014 at 03:32 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 03:35 AM
VGMdb Staff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAINT-SEIYA-...item4619f504af

I was looking the insert image of this auction of the official LP. It's small, surely "Arrange Words" is still there, but about that typo of Track 14 (over Dragon Shyryu shot) I can't read
Old Jan 31, 2014, 04:57 AM

Thanks for the clarification, Efendija. Then, I assume, there is some work that needs to be done.

Quote:
I think the same, I don't remember but track 14 doen't have guitar pieces anyway it's a Yokohama work.. it speaks about vocal arrangement and registered in LA. It seems quite strange
You can listen to it here, around the 1 minute mark a guitar begins to play an extended riff. The guitar part is not very prominent, but there is guitar in this track. It also contains singing (scat) in the final part of the piece.
So, those credits may, in theory, belong to track 14, but it's more likely that they belong to the only song of the score (track 15).
Old Jan 31, 2014, 05:40 AM
VGMdb Staff

Well, I'm waiteng a reply from my friend collector's for the LP insert shot.. Maybe the answer is here or in its child albums.