VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:41 PM

This is another soundtrack whose translations I am wondering about. I still have some really old translations, but sometimes they seem to be better (or at least more accurate in punctuation) than the ones here.

For track 12, "Spirit of Truth", I have "Chant of Truth". Multiple online translators seem to think 言霊 is "kotodama", which seems to mean soul / power of language. And then 真実, which means "truth", and の to join them. This would make Chant of Truth more accurate, or maybe it would mean "The True Power of Language" or something.

For track 15, I can't really understand it, but there seems to be a lot more there besides "Old Cid's Castle." The one I have is "Old Man Cid's Castle". *shrug* Maybe I'm looking into it too hard.

Track 24 should definitely be "Ultros".

Many of the other tracks seem to match up (although some magically pop up with exclamation marks where there are none), but this is an older game and it may have a pretty dated tracklist. The one on Chudah's Corner is exactly the same, so I'm sort of going back to the Brave Fencer Musashi thing right now :P
Old Feb 12, 2010, 01:17 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
Track 24 should definitely be "Ultros".
Isn't Ultros a bit of a mistranslation of the greek creature Orthros (as it's on some FF-games). But then, if it was named Ultros on the english version of Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon 2, then I would change it to Ultros
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:29 AM

It is indeed Ultros in the English version.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:17 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I tweaked the translation. Kotodoma is as you say the belief of "spirit/power residing in the words", so I guess "chant of truth" is a good option, or maybe "mantra of truth" if you stretch it a bit. I think Old Cid sounds more natural but others should judge.

As for the exclamations some were actually correct, beware as sometimes the JP tracklists aren't 100% accurate, it's fixed now.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 01:01 PM

Ahaha, I hadn't thought the error would be in the Japanese tracklist.

Thanks again! :)