VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 15, 2009, 07:52 AM

Uploaded a full set of higher res scans, which feature commentary by several performers, along many photos of the studio and the performers/arranger, and also more detailed credits, in case anyone feels like giving it a go to figure them out.

I know it already comes without saying, but this album is mind blowing. For any castlevania fan, go hunt this up like, right now.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 05:20 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewing Darksun View Post
in case anyone feels like giving it a go to figure them out
I do!

Brilliant scans, by the way.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 01:46 PM

Nice It's good to finally see a full credits breakdown. Thanks, Chz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
Brilliant scans, by the way.
Hahah, thank you. I take a tad bit of time when scanning, so it's nice to hear the effort/time are worth it. ^_^

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Jan 5, 2010, 01:52 AM

There's a legendary tracklist error in this release. The sixth track is called Op.13, but it is, in truth "Slash". (another piece, from the same game). The true "Op.13" was never given an arrangement in the Dracula Battle albums.

I think you should apply the same criteria you discussed in the Akumajo Dracula MIDI Collection thread: list the corrected tracklist, and post the error in the notes.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:53 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gambler View Post
There's a legendary tracklist error in this release. The sixth track is called Op.13, but it is, in truth "Slash". (another piece, from the same game). The true "Op.13" was never given an arrangement in the Dracula Battle albums.

I think you should apply the same criteria you discussed in the Akumajo Dracula MIDI Collection thread: list the corrected tracklist, and post the error in the notes.
I'm not wild about adding a tracktitle which is not otherwise present on the album, so I think it's better to leave it as it is. The information is here in the thread now so it should be enough.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:21 PM

You sure? Imagine a cover album of the Beatles that has a track titled "Yellow Submarine" but when you listen to it is "Yesterday"... Why going to stick to the misprint label? The info is readily available in the notes below even if you switch criteria anyway (i.e. the bad name in the notes).
Old Jan 5, 2010, 01:02 PM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 01:04 PM

Not to mention Castlebania...
Old Jan 5, 2010, 01:17 PM
VGMdb Administrator

We generally reproduce the errors on the official tracklist, and then correct them in the notes. I think that exceptions to this occur when the publisher issues a correction on their website (this has occurred in some of the doujin releases.) I'll have to look through the albums more thoroughly to see if we are consistent about this.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 01:46 PM

Oh, ok. I was under the impression that you used the opposite criteria, since the Dracula MIDI Collection had the tracks switched in the correct position.

If you are consistent with keeping errors, please disregard my changes for KMCA-162 tracklist as well as this entry.

However, in this case Konami has repeatedly corrected the mistake - I remember an interview with Igarashi addressing the Op.13/Slash issue. In all the following releases, such as the Dracula X Chronicles sound tests / OSTs, the tracks were given their correct names.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 01:54 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Track switches are something we usually have to correct in order for the Freedb lookup to work. We might want to re-visit the issue on the side of correcting naming errors.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 06:59 PM

I see you reverted the tracklist for KMCA-162, I suppose KICA-7809 must be reverted as well.

I must say I'm not too hot with the idea of providing the incorrect info in the main body and go with corrections on the notes. Slash and Op.13 are still so easily confused, perhaps it would be a better service to provide correction right away. But of course, do as you like.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 07:16 PM
VGMdb Administrator

What we need to do is implement a visual indicator (and a corresponding flag in the database) to show whether a track has a differing trackname from what is printed on the album package, with an explanation or source to go with it.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 08:41 PM

Edit: I'll post here too the whole Slash/Op.13 affair, since it's relevant:

[1993, October] PCE DUO Game "Rondo of Blood" is released: Soundtest is correct - (in-game soundtest is correct)

[1993, November] KICA 7622 (Rondo OST): this is the first instance where track titles for these two compositions were swapped, thus originating the whole confused mess (cd package is wrong).

[1994, July] KICA 1145 Perfect Selection Dracula Battle: arrangement CD, features an arrangement of Slash, mislabeled as "Op.13" (cd package is wrong).

[1995] SNES game "Dracula XX" is released: only Op.13 is featured in the game, not Slash (game comes without a soundtest)

[2006] KMUS-0001 Castlevania 20th Anniversary Deluxe Music Collection. Compilation CD. Features three tracks from Rondo of Blood. Track 15 is indeed Op.13 (tracklist is correct).

[2007] Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles & relative OST - the long time error gets fixed. Op.13 is Op.13 and Slash is Slash (tracklist for LC1609-10 is correct, on both discs. Later European release KDE-CVDXC-OST is also correct.). In the polygonal remake, only Slash is used. Newly composed "Red Dawn" is used for the stage that once featured Op.13.

[2008] Castlevania Judgment & [2009] LC-1715 / GFCA-153 Judgment OST - featuring Slash (tracklist is correct).

[2010, March] GFCA 195-213 Akumajo Dracula Best Music Collection Box - lazy reprint of several soundtracks from the series. The box spans 18 discs but only three are relevant here:
GFCA-198 (fourth disc, Rondo OST): incorrect. They once again swapped names as they did in 1993 (cd package is wrong).
GFCA-208 (fourteenth disc, Dracula X Chronicles OST): correct: only Slash is present, and it retains its true name. (tracklist is correct)
GFCA-210 (sixteenth disc, Akumajo Dracula Judgment OST): correct once again. (tracklist is correct)

[2010, July] GFCA-228 Pachislot Akumajo Dracula II OST: features the same rendition of "Slash" found on Castlevania Judgment. (tracklist is correct)

[2010, August] Castlevania Harmony of Despair is released for XBLA. Following dowloadable music packs for the game will include an arrangement of Slash. (in-game soundtest is correct)

[2011, January 13] LC-1960 is Harmony of Despair OST release. It features Slash. (tracklist is correct)

[2011, January] LC-1957 Akumajo Dracula Tribute Vol.1 - features an arrangement of Slash, and thankfully it's correctly titled (Slash is Slash). (tracklist is correct)

Everything has been double checked on original physical media. To these official releases I could add these doujinshi albums:

[2008, August] Blood Liar by Pikopiko Zaemon: it features an arrangement of (correctly titled) Slash.

[2012, May] Castlevania: Chiptune of YM2203 by FREEZEMOON: it features an arrangement of (correctly titled) Slash.

You can find the same mini-FAQ in all the discussion threads for the following albums: KICA 7622, KICA 1145, GFCA 195-213. That is, all the three releases where Slash was incorrectly labeled as Op.13 and viceversa.

Last edited by The Gambler; Mar 8, 2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old May 27, 2011, 06:01 PM

Eh, this thing is old, but I hope they soon (or maybe someone can just do and see how a staff member reacts) just add a corrected tracklist instead of it always appearing in notes.

The visual indicator would work nice, too, I suppose, but if that requires some sort of work, a corrected tracklist seems easy and anyone could add it.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 07:09 AM

Can anybody confirm if the first press came with an outer box like Shooting Battle? There is one listed on Amazon Japan that makes the claim but I myself have not (ever) seen photographic proof of it existing.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 09:28 PM

I have never ever seen this album with an outer box. I do own a sealed 'sample' version which must have been very early in the production process, and I've been following Konami albums on Yahoo Auctions for a long time, so I assume I would have seen it... but you never know.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 11:17 AM
Trusted Editor

This album is absolutely incredible. One of the best VGM arranged CDs hands down
Old Nov 29, 2019, 05:50 PM

Agreed. This version of Bloody Tears is a standard in my book, up there with the Super Castlevania and Rondo versions.

Last edited by Aifread; Nov 29, 2019 at 07:57 PM.