VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 1, 2011, 04:23 AM

Comix Zone, Virtua Racing, Ristar, PULSEMAN

WAVE MASTER, I FREAKING LOVE YOU

Now, come on Wave Master, you're getting closer and closer as June 2011 draws near; and there's one little speedy blue guy that is begging for your attention desperately. Make the ultimate dream of us Sonic music fans come true.

Silliness aside, I'm so glad a new bunch of games finally got an official release; some of these were LONG overdue. Besides, this release is quite well put together, with a clear visible homage to what was (and still is) one of the best gaming consoles ever released. It also features composer commentaries for each game, with even Howard Drossin saying a few words. And oh yes, complete credits. What more can you ask for?
I hope Wave Master won't ever stop and keep gracing us with more unreleased music.

By the way, I uploaded a new tracklist because the previous one was missing a track on the Pulseman disc.

Last edited by Kewing; Jan 1, 2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 04:29 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewing View Post
Make the ultimate dream of us Sonic music fans come true.
YES! Make it happen!
Old Jan 1, 2011, 04:57 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzQpdd1NUiY&NR=1#t=3m28s

Well that definitely makes Masashi Ogata the same person as Masafumi Ogata, then.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Jan 3, 2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:53 AM

Wow this album really is a surprise. I downloaded Pulseman on my Virtual Console months ago and played through that game. Loved it and the music. Ristar also has a boss soundtrack. Gotta give props to Wave Master for pimping these under appreciated classics.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 02:58 PM

i had no idea Hataya and Ogata worked on Ristar!
Old May 8, 2012, 02:13 PM

I'm not familiar with the music for Virtua Racing, so does anyone know if all of the music in this release is just ported from the arcade? I ask because, according to the game credits, Tohru Nakabayashi and Tomoyuki Kawamura worked on the Genesis version. Mitsuyoshi is only given a special thanks, so I don't think he ported the music himself. Either way, Nakabayashi and Kawamura should be added as arrangers.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 08:48 AM

Added Nakabayashi and Kawamura as the composers for a few Virtua Racing tracks, because those are not present in the arcade version. Sadly we don't know exactly who did what though. Takagi has also been added for one track, as he is credited for sound effects in the arcade version.

(honestly wish this site had edit summaries)
Old Apr 11, 2020, 09:53 AM
Trusted Editor

It does, but it's so well hidden you would think it's an easter egg and not a feature. You can get to it by clicking on the arrow where it says "Edited by" in the box on the right.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 10:00 AM

I'm aware of that. By "edit summary" I meant a little note where you justify/explain your edit, like on wikis, as that would be useful for edits that involve stuff like adding credits not present in an album's booklet.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 03:32 AM
VGMdb Staff

Of course, as we now have comments required for edits, I don't need to say this in the discussion, but I think it's appropriate. (actually, none of these details are specific enough that I feel comfortable making an edit, so I kinda have to put it in the discussion to at least give people a bit more accessible clarity)

Takenobu Mitsuyoshi makes clear in the commentary that he worked on music for the MEGA DRIVE port, though I don't think he explicitly says he composed music. There's some more stuff (like a story involving the song Stream off the B-univ album), but I don't wanna present it inaccurately.

Oh, and without names he mentions a veteran (Tohru Nakabayashi) and basically a newcomer (Tomoyuki Kawamura) who worked mainly on sound programming and sound effects respectively. I think I understand that perfectly, but I could have overconfidence.