VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Miscellaneous > Archives > Game Remixes Forum Archive 2009-2012
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 7, 2009, 11:43 AM

Default If This Is How You Want To Win

When voting opened for Composition Combat, I sent messages to my friends, telling them where to hear my submission and asked them to rate the song. I also gave them a link to the registration thread so they could hear the other songs that were submitted. Seemed like a fair thing to do.

On the other hand you have people like Kidd Cabbage telling his friends and followers not only to score him perfect, but to rate the other songs "negative" stars. See this thread: http://www.metroidmetal.com/ridley/v...php?f=6&t=7802

I have no doubt that all his friends did exactly that, because in one night after having an average rating of 6.4, the next day I had almost a full point lower score. I noticed many other songs that were highly scored had come down dramatically as well.

This may or may not be officially counted as cheating, but I think it's pretty telling of the character of the people involved.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:04 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Those kinds of votes would be pretty easy to filter out when the results are tallied, as would the votes of those who only vote on 1 song.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 01:37 PM

How sad, good thing to know though. I'm afraid all this Internet voting thing is just too cheatable, the only limit is your imagination. Official polls and stuff like that through Internet are just too unreliable, it's scary.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 06:14 PM

Bud, you're obviously missing on the sarcasm of that post. Since you're new around MM, "olol" pretty much means "This post is tongue and cheek." Other than that, the whole point is that you *can't give negative stars*. You think I'm a big enough ass to seriously ask that in a thread which you, a fellow competitor, posted in before me?

The post was 100% tongue in cheek, as I have been in the whole thread. I have even told my friends that have seriously suggested to me sabotaging my competitors that I did not want to endorse that act.

Other than that, I don't see how advertising to friends is against the rules. It helps the site get traffic, which is the point of the contest, I assume, and on top of that, I was not the first to pimp my song to others. I wasn't the one who made it a popularity contest to begin with.

Basically, what I'm saying is to grow a sense of humor.

Edit: Oh yeah. And by "rate my song perfect," you mean my quote "Give me a bajillion stars!" How dense can you be?

Last edited by Kidd Cabbage; Dec 7, 2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Cabbage View Post
Bud, you're obviously missing on the sarcasm of that post. Since you're new around MM, "olol" pretty much means "This post is tongue and cheek." Other than that, the whole point is that you *can't give negative stars*. You think I'm a big enough ass to seriously ask that in a thread which you, a fellow competitor, posted in before me?

The post was 100% tongue in cheek, as I have been in the whole thread. I have even told my friends that have seriously suggested to me sabotaging my competitors that I did not want to endorse that act.

Other than that, I don't see how advertising to friends is against the rules. It helps the site get traffic, which is the point of the contest, I assume, and on top of that, I was not the first to pimp my song to others. I wasn't the one who made it a popularity contest to begin with.

Edit: Oh yeah. And by "rate my song perfect," you mean my quote "Give me a bajillion stars!" How dense can you be?
I never said advertising to friends was against the rules. I was talking about putting the hit out on others. Just because you "olol" in your post doesn't discount the rest.

I may have caught the humor if your friends didn't immediately go and vote down the other songs. I'm not just talking about my song, dude...That Nuns Hope guy's song got jacked too and that was just one of the more dramatic ones. I wonder why? Maybe because he was the highest rated at the time? As far as I know I was the other one in the way of your victory.

Meanwhile your friends are justifying their 1 star votes for my tune? haha... right... nothing going on here.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpToken View Post
I never said advertising to friends was against the rules. I was talking about putting the hit out on others. Just because you "olol" in your post doesn't discount the rest.
A BAJILLION points. NEGATIVE stars. No person in their right mind is taking that post seriously.

And to shut up your dramatic conspiracy theory forever - TheShizz/MetroidMetal communities have TWO entrants: KiddCabbage and PrinceofDarkness. Feel free to explain why we, if we were hard at work ensuring that the votes fall in our favor, would bring one of them up, smash his "competitors" and ignore the other?

Do you really think that KiddCabbage has a CABAL of followers at his beck and call? Are you really brazen enough to insult two communities full of music-loving adults by saying that every one of their votes was cast with ill-intent?

I'm not saying that NOBODY is trolling on these votes. But quit personalizing it, and knock it off with the conspiracy theories. Stop using Kidd's post as "evidence" - you are the only person who has taken it seriously thus far, including voters.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
When voting opened for Composition Combat, I sent messages to my friends, telling them where to hear my submission and asked them to rate the song. I also gave them a link to the registration thread so they could hear the other songs that were submitted. Seemed like a fair thing to do.

On the other hand you have people like Kidd Cabbage telling his friends and followers not only to score him perfect, but to rate the other songs "negative" stars. See this thread: http://www.metroidmetal.com/ridley/v...php?f=6&t=7802

I have no doubt that all his friends did exactly that, because in one night after having an average rating of 6.4, the next day I had almost a full point lower score. I noticed many other songs that were highly scored had come down dramatically as well.

This may or may not be officially counted as cheating, but I think it's pretty telling of the character of the people involved.
Well, I saw Kidd Cabbages post, I didn't take it as "GO AND VOTE EVERYONE ELSE DOWN!" What I DID do, was go to remixsite, listen to all the competition songs, and give them the score they deserved. It's not mine or Kidd Cabbages or anyones fault that your song deserved 1 star in my eyes (and I don't mean that in an insulting manner, it just means your song didn't live up to my standards for what I like to hear). I think that his post just sparked interest in the voting, and that means that more people who aren't just your friends will be taking more serious listens to your music. Also, I can't say that the new voters are completely unbiased, but I know from experience that people from music related communities like MM and DoD are very serious about their vote and won't just give it away. The spirit of competition means that you will go through ups and downs, you should embrace the race itself as much as you want the prize at the end.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasK View Post
Well, I saw Kidd Cabbages post, I didn't take it as "GO AND VOTE EVERYONE ELSE DOWN!" What I DID do, was go to remixsite, listen to all the competition songs, and give them the score they deserved. It's not mine or Kidd Cabbages or anyones fault that your song deserved 1 star in my eyes (and I don't mean that in an insulting manner, it just means your song didn't live up to my standards for what I like to hear).
You've got to be joking. I've listened to all the songs in the comp and there's no way _ANY_ of them deserve 1 star.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
You've got to be joking. I've listened to all the songs in the comp and there's no way _ANY_ of them deserve 1 star.
You must have very low standards, only two of the songs are worth anything above 3 stars.

Last edited by AndreasK; Dec 9, 2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Cabbage View Post

Not to be belligerent, Kidd, but you if you were more couth in some of your posts then maybe WarpToken wouldn't have felt threatened by your post at MM. Even suggesting that people on that forum vote others down might prompt them to do so even if the statement was made in jest, and the fact that you have over 2000 posts increases the perception that a number of people there know you and would do such a thing. While I myself wouldn't have perceived your post on MM as threatening as WarpToken did at first glance, I do think that he is justified to be concerned.

And, this really doesn't have anything to do with "growing a sense of humor", nor does the contest have to do so much with traffic that gets on, rates their friends, and goes off as it does with traffic who will get on, stay, vote for everyone, and then participate even after the contest is over (not to mention objectively commenting on our music to help us improve).
Old Dec 8, 2009, 05:30 AM

All that my 2000 posts on MM means is that the people on that site are a better judge of my character than WarpToken is. Exactly why when someone on that site found this thread (on their own - I didn't even link it to him), he replied with

"someone post in the thread that i laughed at that post. make sure the post of my post in their post has the lawl that i posted."

When I told him to grow a sense of humor, I meant if he wants to judge me in having a humor in the thread he posted, which I was showing obvious humor, not in my actions towards this competition itself.

That being said, every single post WarpToken has made has been regarding his chances of winning, and "omg everyone's going to cheat against me," including his very first post.

And yet, I am the only person on this forum that has actually gone to thank Remixsite and Quintin for hosting this competition:
Quote:
Anyway, I'd like to openly thank Remixsite and Quintin for the opportunity to enter this awesome contest. I had never heard of this site previously, despite hanging around the big places in the VG Remixing scene quite a lot, but it's pretty great, and I'd like to post what music I can on the site, and try to promote it in any way I can!
And everything I have posted, whether in that thread about voting or not, has been about getting Remixsite promoted and getting the site hits, rather than excluding a majority from voting for my own gain.

So it pisses me off when he's calling me unsportsmanlike because I made a joke *to my friends* and he saw it.

And on another note, WarpToken is obviously wrong when he's saying that he wants everyone to get a fair amount of votes from his friends he's linking to, or he wouldn't have twice as many rating as most of the other competitors. Pot calling the kettle black.

Last edited by Kidd Cabbage; Dec 8, 2009 at 05:35 AM.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuurgh View Post
Not to be belligerent, Kidd, but you if you were more couth in some of your posts then maybe WarpToken wouldn't have felt threatened by your post at MM.
If he "felt threatened" by the post, he could have replied in that same thread and asked Kidd to clarify. You might notice that he didn't post in that thread again before making this one. That suggests to me that he's more interested in the attention than problem-resolution.

Quote:
Even suggesting that people on that forum vote others down might prompt them to do so even if the statement was made in jest, and the fact that you have over 2000 posts increases the perception that a number of people there know you and would do such a thing.
Nowhere did Kidd ever say "vote other people down." He said "give people negative stars," which don't exist and were the subtle clue that he might have been joshing. And he's already said it, but all his 2000 posts mean is that everybody there knows him, knows he's fooling, and is laughing at the display of alarmism here.

Quote:
While I myself wouldn't have perceived your post on MM as threatening as WarpToken did at first glance, I do think that he is justified to be concerned.
Again, the fact that his first instinct is to make a new thread on a forum that Kidd doesn't frequent, in the hopes that it would take as long as possible before he even knew WarpToken had a concern, should say all you need to know about his "justification."
Old Dec 8, 2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby Pufocia View Post
If he "felt threatened" by the post, he could have replied in that same thread and asked Kidd to clarify. You might notice that he didn't post in that thread again before making this one. That suggests to me that he's more interested in the attention than problem-resolution.
Like I'm going to take it up with you guys where you're all one tight knit group. Plus, the damage had already been going on. Am I going to tell you all to take back your votes?

Quote:
Nowhere did Kidd ever say "vote other people down." He said "give people negative stars," which don't exist and were the subtle clue that he might have been joshing. And he's already said it, but all his 2000 posts mean is that everybody there knows him, knows he's fooling, and is laughing at the display of alarmism here.
Negative stars don't exist, but voting 1 star surely brings the score down. I'm really not an idiot.

Quote:
Again, the fact that his first instinct is to make a new thread on a forum that Kidd doesn't frequent, in the hopes that it would take as long as possible before he even knew WarpToken had a concern, should say all you need to know about his "justification."
See the first response.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Meanwhile your friends are justifying their 1 star votes for my tune? haha... right... nothing going on here.

I'd just like you to point out that the only person who's said that they gave you 1 star is AndreasK... and if you look at our join dates, you'll notice he's been a part of this community far longer than I have. It's not like I got him to come just to give you 1 stars.

Quote:
I may have caught the humor if your friends didn't immediately go and vote down the other songs. I'm not just talking about my song, dude...That Nuns Hope guy's song got jacked too and that was just one of the more dramatic ones. I wonder why? Maybe because he was the highest rated at the time? As far as I know I was the other one in the way of your victory.
Yeah, like I mentioned on the MM thread, where I was actually *sticking up for you* (God knows why), once voting opened up, my scores went down for the exact same reasons - the only difference is that I have more votes now, so if I get 1 star, it won't leave as big a dent.

Quote:
Just because you "olol" in your post doesn't discount the rest.
If you were at all judging from the standpoint of anyone else who would be reading that thread, then, yeah, that makes it a pretty straight-forward fucking around post. But hey, if it won't discount the rest, then like Kirby said - a bajillion points and negative stars: there isn't a sentence in the post that someone can take seriously.

But other than that, if you have a problem with what I say, then be a man and say something at the source. If you posted in the MM thread "Hey, that's not cool." I would've been much cooler about letting you in on the joke, and maybe try to get you laugh, too. People there would've explained to you that 99% of posts I make there are ridiculous and over the top. But instead, you come and make a thread here, accusing me of cheating*, and that was the douche thing to do.

And on another note, I have not only been advertising to these communities about my song, but about PoD's as well, and his score is lower than yours. I think you need to stop being such a dick about everyone being out to sabotage your win - you've been posting about this since before you even made your song.

*and even if your first post was absolutely true, and I was out to destroy all of your votes and make you lose, only so I could win, it's still not cheating. Read the rules, and you won't see anything about disqualifying unsportsmanlike voting.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 09:15 PM

It's useless to even try to talk about this with you. Look at the personal insults you fling around.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
It's useless to even try to talk about this with you. Look at the personal insults you fling around.
How constructive.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 05:16 AM

Quote:

Tell me where I have said a personal insult in this thread. The closest thing is saying that you *did* something douchey, which is an insult to your actions, not a personal insult.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 05:54 AM

As per usual in these kinds of situations, nothing is getting resolved here because everyone gets offended and tries to slap the other person back harder. Let the squabbling cease.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 08:23 AM

Warp is calling us cheaters and we're calmly explaining that we're not. I'm certainly not offended, and if he's offended, that's a small price to pay for making unsubstantiated claims (with potential legal ramifications).

Though I do have to give credit where it's due - congrats, Warp, on creating by far the most active thread in the remixSite portion of these forums, however underhandedly so.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 08:30 AM

I am so offend!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 08:38 PM

Maybe Kidd shouldn't have posted what he posted.
Maybe I shouldn't have reacted the way I did.

I apologize.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 11:50 PM

Honestly, WarpToken, you should check out dod.vgmusic.com, check the songs and stuff, but more importantly, check out the discussions on the forums for every month. Join in, and make some music with us, then you'll completely understand what goes on and how completely tongue in cheek everything that's said within our communities really is. And also, it's always cool to get new musicians over there!
Old Dec 10, 2009, 04:42 AM

I check DOD all the time, man. I'll have to get on the discussions. Thanks for the invite.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:01 PM

The comp has ended so I'll post now. I can understand the reasons for this thread, since to anyone involved, at first, it seemed like something was amiss and the votes were being screwed with. Quinten then went on to make a thread about how this was actually being done by a bot. No one's being paranoid, since this is true.

Unfortunately Kid Cabbage from a previous post looked to blame and so got the wrong end of the stick. I don't know him, but his track was decent, as good as anyone else's so he deserves to have a chance and not to have misunderstanding held against him because of something he would most surely retract if he knew this was going to happen. I think it's important to bring these things to attention, so honestly WarpToken, you were right if you thought something was up. We all want this to be as fair as possible, and your actions were kind've commendable given the circumstances. If there's cheating, we'll find out eventually. If not now, then in future comps, so please no one get angry at eachother and spoil this. As far as we know, we're all just doing the best we can.

Quote:
You must have very low standards, only two of the songs are worth anything above 3 stars.
I sincerely hope you were saying that in the heat of the moment. Otherwise, I would have to query exactly what standing you have to say that. For a start, there's more than 3 genres posted, let alone styles within genres, so unless you're some sort've master in every one, you couldn't possibly make such a statement true. Just saying what you did makes things worse than they all ready are... it wasn't constructive and it wasn't true. Personally, I too think that these tracks were really good and all deserved above 3 stars. If you think otherwise, feel free to challenge us.

In any case, let's just see what happens and hope the next comp goes a little more smoothly. I figure next time people will trust eachother a bit more, since we pretty much got everything out this time around.

Last edited by Omnomnomnom; Dec 16, 2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 12:47 AM

There are two 'd's in my name and I'm going to sue you for stating otherwise.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnomnomnom View Post
The comp has ended so I'll post now. I can understand the reasons for this thread, since to anyone involved, at first, it seemed like something was amiss and the votes were being screwed with. Quinten then went on to make a thread about how this was actually being done by a bot. No one's being paranoid, since this is true.

Unfortunately Kid Cabbage from a previous post looked to blame and so got the wrong end of the stick. I don't know him, but his track was decent, as good as anyone else's so he deserves to have a chance and not to have misunderstanding held against him because of something he would most surely retract if he knew this was going to happen. I think it's important to bring these things to attention, so honestly WarpToken, you were right if you thought something was up. We all want this to be as fair as possible, and your actions were kind've commendable given the circumstances. If there's cheating, we'll find out eventually. If not now, then in future comps, so please no one get angry at eachother and spoil this. As far as we know, we're all just doing the best we can.

I sincerely hope you were saying that in the heat of the moment. Otherwise, I would have to query exactly what standing you have to say that. For a start, there's more than 3 genres posted, let alone styles within genres, so unless you're some sort've master in every one, you couldn't possibly make such a statement true. Just saying what you did makes things worse than they all ready are... it wasn't constructive and it wasn't true. Personally, I too think that these tracks were really good and all deserved above 3 stars. If you think otherwise, feel free to challenge us.

In any case, let's just see what happens and hope the next comp goes a little more smoothly. I figure next time people will trust eachother a bit more, since we pretty much got everything out this time around.
I'm not a master in any one "style" of music, but I've been a musician and a lover of music long enough to know what I like and what I don't like. There's no need to be constructive unless someone asks me to be, I was merely stating my opinion on the songs, and you better believe I am ready and very able to back them up. Stop being butthurt because I didn't like your song and move on with life.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasK View Post
I'm not a master in any one "style" of music, but I've been a musician and a lover of music long enough to know what I like and what I don't like. There's no need to be constructive unless someone asks me to be, I was merely stating my opinion on the songs, and you better believe I am ready and very able to back them up. Stop being butthurt because I didn't like your song and move on with life.
Have some tact. As I've stated multiple times, one purpose of the site itself is to provide feedback to aspiring composers in order to direct them to bettering their work; so, in turn, visitors of the site are counted on to give constructive criticism from the moment their browser opens up the page.

Edited because I don't want to start something else. However, I will say that you should back up those opinions of yours if you really care to take part in what this site is trying to provide your peers.

Last edited by Muuurgh; Dec 17, 2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuurgh View Post
Have some tact. As I've stated multiple times, one purpose of the site itself is to provide feedback to aspiring composers in order to direct them to bettering their work; so, in turn, visitors of the site are counted on to give constructive criticism from the moment their browser opens up the page.

Edited because I don't want to start something else. However, I will say that you should back up those opinions of yours if you really care to take part in what this site is trying to provide your peers.
If you want feedback, contact me personally. I'd be more than happy to have a discussion.