VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Sep 2, 2011, 03:31 PM

Good VGM this one is. =D

I was most impressed with the first 10 tracks before I even noticed they were all arranged by one guy (Yoshio Tsuru). Hydra being my favorite. Where We Meet, Forest and Underground Dungeon just steps behind.

Honestly, I thought the vocal tracks on Disc 2 were pretty bad. Can't really go wrong with Super Mega Mix though.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 05:58 PM

The vocal tracks are all a surprise -- a window into the risks arrangers took back then. I mean, a doo wop vocal for the Sorcerian opening?!

Born on Battleline(s) may be a tad cheesy but it's done right in the bossa-style jazz vocal it wishes to accomplish. Only wished there were more musician credits here aside plush acoustics of Makoto Matsushita (who later became one of Shiro Sagisu's guitar sounds!).

Rei Atsumi's tracks are top-notch prog-rock trios that mirror that of Namba and Sakuraba that kill it even without a guitar present. They liked him so much, they brought him back to do the other two!

A classic in my book, a great approach to first time Sorcerian music listeners (was for me in 2003/4), brings a nice blend of genres when they could've just stayed with a predictable medieval theme all along.

Last edited by XISMZERO; Mar 3, 2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 08:36 PM

Chris Mosdell's lyrics for Born on Battlelines are...interesting. I wonder if Falcom knew he and Matsushita (himself an unconventional J-pop artist) were going to subvert the main town theme into a sardonic, morbid bossa nova song. Atsumi should have worked more with Falcom, with or without Namba.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 10:40 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

京谷勝巳's name is pronounced Katsumi Kyougoku (キョウゴクカツミ) according to this page: https://uta.573.jp/artist/312542/songs/album
Old Feb 18, 2023, 03:22 AM

Shoutout to the random piano credit for Yoko Kanno. I believe her lone Falcom appearance.