VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:21 AM

Publisher editied.
Sources: the image of the european disc (no Atari logo on it) and http://www.uk.namcobandaigames.eu/pr...ium-edition/pc
They have the editions of Witcher 2, which contained the soundtrack, in their game lists.

I hope everything is alright, it is the first time i edit anything here.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:28 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

You are right.
Though we generally don't do that because... normally each release should get a different entry on the database (1 for each region).

I am not really wanting to do that as the package is similar (just little variation on the Disc), so we generally use the US version as the reference. (so we use the US publisher)

Publishers for the game are:
Atari (US / Australia)
Namco Bandai Games (Europe)
CD Projekt RED (Russia / Poland)
CyberFront (Japan)

Last edited by Myrkul; Dec 4, 2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:54 AM

Okay, then why is the polish version a single entry? My DVD Box is looking like the one in the images for the polish version, only the text is translated. Even itunes gave me the polish name, when i put the cd into the drive.
Just for later editings, so that i know when a new entry is used and when not.

And by the way your list seems to be not 100% correct, Atari is only publisher for USA, Namco Bandai seems to be the publisher for the whole PAL region, so australia, too. At least you find Witcher 2 on their australian website but not on the us version.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:32 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I made a new entry for the European version.
Since we got an entry for Poland, and another one for Russia, it's probably ok to add one more.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 01:28 PM

I have copied the information from the polish edition to the european edition, as this also is correct.
Don't know about the us version, but i definitly have a dvd box with two discs in my premium edition.

btw what about different digital versions? The GOG digital premium edition has 27 tracks not 23. http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/the_witcher_2
How are such things handled here?
Old Dec 4, 2011, 02:20 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

No idea about the contents of the US edition, but i think it should be the same.

If you'r able to provide the tracklist for the GOG release (that is unknown for non-buyers), then you could create a new entry for it.
Since the contents is different, we can't "child" (link) the digital release with the physical ones.

We do no have any clear policy regarding GOG releases soundtracks.. most of the time, they provide music files without proper names/packaging/idtags..etc.. and thus they can be considered as game rips or at least lower quality releases.
I don't mind having them on the database, but more feedback from other staff members is required.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
[...]

We do no have any clear policy regarding GOG releases soundtracks.. most of the time, they provide music files without proper names/packaging/idtags..etc.. and thus they can be considered as game rips or at least lower quality releases.
I don't mind having them on the database, but more feedback from other staff members is required.
While I regard GOG.com higher than FilePlanet, researching first before submitting anything offered by [either of] them should be anyone's priority.

Last edited by PsychoZeke; Dec 4, 2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:55 AM

Okay i guess no help here, found out that GOG named the bonus tracks: 01_gog_bonus_track.mp3, 02_gog_bonus_track.mp3, 03_gog_bonus_track.mp3 and 04_gog_bonus_track.mp3 without any ID3 tags.

I found a list of possible names, but they don't explain how they found them out.
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Witcher_2_soundtrack.

There is also another preorder cd with 8 tracks, but empik is a polish site and i can't speak polish.

Edit: Found a post in the GOG Forum by a CDP Red employee:

"01_gog_bonus_track - Funny story but this one doesn't actually have a name
02_gog_bonus_track - "By the King's Will"
03_gog_bonus_track - "A Nearly Peaceful Place"
04_gog_bonus_track - "Assassins Theme" "

But still how do you build the tracklist in this case? Just add them as number 24-28? And how do "name" a track, that has no name?

Last edited by Koldan; Dec 7, 2011 at 01:04 AM.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 09:40 PM

With this game, which title does one prioritize (at least from an "original name" point of view, not necessarily a physical change to the database)? It's a Polish game released in Poland and English-speaking countries on the same day.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 01:07 AM

This was bundled with the US release, so the English name should be the obvious choice. The same applies in reverse for this one being Russian...if we are to follow the Polish example.

Last edited by 413/0; Sep 6, 2013 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Culex.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 02:14 AM
VGMdb Staff

There's one important difference though (I think), as a standardization thing, display title is in Latin alphabet, and Russian uses Cyrillic one so it isn't acceptable as the display title. One can search for "саундтрек" [soundtrack] (as I did) and see that no Russian release album has the real, Cyrillic title as the display because of this.

Russian can be romanized to Latin though, same we do with the Japanese (so you could have Russian romanized on the display, Russian Cyrillic on the original and English on the alternative title line), but we never seem to actually do that.

Last edited by Efendija; Sep 6, 2013 at 02:29 AM.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 02:50 AM

Got it. Thanks for the explanation.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 07:03 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Here's the Czech version of the soundtrack.
" Zaklínač 2: Vrahové králů "