VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 9, 2016, 05:34 AM

Default I want to know how to remix other stuff besides SNES & NES!

Like there are so many other consoles I want to remix besides SNES & NES like Game Boy,Game Boy Advance,Genesis,Master System,N64,Game Gear,TG16,C64,etc but the problem is there aren't any convert-to-MIDI programs for these consoles like with SNES & NES(which makes the whole process easier)! I absolutely hate being limited to two systems while all the other remixers get to remix other consoles how do they do it? I want to get good enough to get on OCR but I can't if I'm limited in consoles! I want to do three remix albums: "Nintendo Nostalgia" (split into either 2 albums or 2 discs of 1st party & 3rd party) "SEGA Songbook" & "Classic VGM Redefined" I have songs in mind that I really want to remix please help me or give me some advice thanks in advance!

Also if you want to hear my SNES & NES remixes check out my Google drive page! Please tell me how I did & if I need to improve in certain areas thanks in advance!
m

Last edited by mikurotoro; May 10, 2016 at 12:35 PM.
Old May 9, 2016, 07:07 AM

Well, can you transcribe a tune by yourself? If so, you can cover anything. Also, if you want to become good enough for OC Remix, you shouldn't use MIDIs as that is seen by many as lazy.

By the way, there are MIDI converters for many of the platforms you listed.
Old May 10, 2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdevilfx View Post
Well, can you transcribe a tune by yourself? If so, you can cover anything. Also, if you want to become good enough for OC Remix, you shouldn't use MIDIs as that is seen by many as lazy.

By the way, there are MIDI converters for many of the platforms you listed.
How do I transcribe a song? My mom said that means I have to write down the notation structure while listening to the song! Is she correct? That sounds really complicated but I'm willing to do it! I am completely new to remixing so I don't understand all this stuff!

Last edited by mikurotoro; May 10, 2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old May 10, 2016, 02:06 PM

How do you transcribe a song? Google it. I don't know how to teach someone to transcribe a song, because I have perfect pitch (and it's hard to explain how to transcribe a song).
Old May 10, 2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
How do you transcribe a song? Google it. I don't know how to teach someone to transcribe a song, because I have perfect pitch (and it's hard to explain how to transcribe a song).
What do you mean you have "perfect pitch"? Does that mean you've been able to remix without needing to transcribe?
Old May 10, 2016, 02:44 PM

No. It means I can transcribe a song more easily, due to knowing the semitone of each note.
Old May 10, 2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
No. It means I can transcribe a song more easily, due to knowing the semitone of each note.
Ok that makes sense!
Old May 13, 2016, 04:01 AM

Alot of people do SNES and NES because of programs like nfs2midi and spc2midi. If you want to make anything past that you will have to learn how to write out the song. It can take time if you are new at it. What I do is make an outline keeping a youtube vid of the song out. After I get accuracy, i start to expand on it.
If you got a keyboard to play the notes on as well, it helps.
Old May 13, 2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGMRMissCoriel View Post
Alot of people do SNES and NES because of programs like nfs2midi and spc2midi. If you want to make anything past that you will have to learn how to write out the song. It can take time if you are new at it. What I do is make an outline keeping a youtube vid of the song out. After I get accuracy, i start to expand on it.
If you got a keyboard to play the notes on as well, it helps.
Thanks for the advice! I figured I would have to do that but it sure beats watching the same stuff on TV so I'm going to try it!
Old May 13, 2016, 07:20 PM

it should be noted that most SPC and NSF midi rips are not always clean. Normally those are avoided due to the user unable to clean them up to a serviceable manner. This is where a seasoned sequencer and someone with a good ear is needed since you have to write in the missing or messed up parts.
When I made Vortex, I used both my own memory and some of a SPC rip. It was pretty messed up and it wasnt possible to do a direct set up.

Break down of Vortex
Old May 13, 2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGMRMissCoriel View Post
it should be noted that most SPC and NSF midi rips are not always clean. Normally those are avoided due to the user unable to clean them up to a serviceable manner. This is where a seasoned sequencer and someone with a good ear is needed since you have to write in the missing or messed up parts.
When I made Vortex, I used both my own memory and some of a SPC rip. It was pretty messed up and it wasnt possible to do a direct set up.

Break down of Vortex
Well since I want to remix mostly 8 & 16-bit consoles with some N64 thrown in then transcribing shouldn't be that hard right?
Old May 13, 2016, 09:29 PM

not really hard at all, remember that it's easy to use MIDI's so do what I do and learn as much of it as you can. Good luck!
Old May 28, 2016, 05:53 AM

http://www.vgmusic.com/ has tons of Midi files for all systems.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:37 PM

So it's summer & I'm going to get started on transcribing & remixing songs! It's better then watching the same TV shows!
Old Jun 22, 2016, 09:45 PM

May your endeavors be worthwhile and fruitful.