VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 10, 2021, 07:54 AM

The potential of this box is staggering in terms of new OST releases. We could see Image Fight and Image Fight II, R-TYPE Complete CD, X-Multiply and more.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 08:05 AM

Super R-Type is already pretty huge. As long as this doesn't suffer the same mastering issues as the Team Entertainment collection I'll definitely be picking this up.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 09:41 AM

I've never bought any of the R-Type offerings so far, have always been kind of unimpressed by the selections. This one I'll preorder.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 08:28 AM

Ah, something that excites me for once.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 08:55 AM

I'm trying to order this from Amazon.jp but the shipping to the US is $200! Is this a bug?
Old Feb 24, 2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
Super R-Type is already pretty huge. As long as this doesn't suffer the same mastering issues as the Team Entertainment collection I'll definitely be picking this up.
I remember some super R-type songs are on that Super Famicom Magazine CD series.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_Chaser View Post
I remember some super R-type songs are on that Super Famicom Magazine CD series.
It's just three tracks on vol. 1 (which I do have)
Old Mar 12, 2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radspencer View Post
I'm trying to order this from Amazon.jp but the shipping to the US is $200! Is this a bug?
Running into the same issue. I certainly want it, but not for an additional $200 beans lol. CDJapan is doing a proxy sale of it, but I’m worried bout the proxy charge since Amazon Japan is asking so much for shipping XD
Old Mar 13, 2021, 12:13 AM

Play-Asia seems to have it, although no bonus as usual

https://www.play-asia.com/r-type-ori...-box/13/70e6b1

Just got the Konami Shooting boxset from Play-Asia, no issues.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 05:05 PM

Just ordered it and only $20 to ship. Thanks for the heads up
Old Mar 19, 2021, 06:59 PM

Still one month before stock, did Play-Asia charge full price and shipping already?
Old Mar 22, 2021, 11:21 AM

Yea. Play-Asia charged full cost immediately so keep that in mind when hitting purchase

One of those "charge now, no option to cancel" deals.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 05:36 PM

Ah I didn't know they worked like that for pre-orders. Either way I'm probably going to order it on Play-Asia too. I'm not too familiar with R-Type music but I don't want it to be out of print.

I'm still biting my fingers at not ordering the Toaplan box and the Makaimura box back then.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 12:29 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxKiller65 View Post
Ah I didn't know they worked like that for pre-orders. Either way I'm probably going to order it on Play-Asia too. I'm not too familiar with R-Type music but I don't want it to be out of print.

I'm still biting my fingers at not ordering the Toaplan box and the Makaimura box back then.
Looks like CDJapan still has the Toaplan albums. The final vol says it still comes with the box. You have to search with "Toa Plan" and not "Toaplan" to find them.

Couldn't find that particular collection sold as a complete box set so I bought the individual albums and was pleasantly surprised to get the box to house them all since I missed that detail when ordering.

[Edit]
I just noticed the Play-Asia Pre-Order for R-Type Sound Box reverted to a "coming soon" label. I think they may have sold through their pre-orders and are waiting on confirmed inventory before opening pre-orders again :/

Last edited by VGMFan20XX; Mar 23, 2021 at 02:45 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 06:28 PM

Yes, I bought the Toaplan discs with the special box recently! I meant the Shooting Chronicle thing with the bonus DVD, which has doubled in price.

I'm confident there's still time to get the R-Type box before it disappears. The latest Konami box did the same, it came and went a few times. The only thing to miss is the pre-order bonus, but the R-Type bonus is useless to me anyway.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Yes, I bought the Toaplan discs with the special box recently! I meant the Shooting Chronicle thing with the bonus DVD, which has doubled in price.

I'm confident there's still time to get the R-Type box before it disappears. The latest Konami box did the same, it came and went a few times. The only thing to miss is the pre-order bonus, but the R-Type bonus is useless to me anyway.
Ahhh, gotcha. Yea, I missed that one too XD. Agreed with the R-Type comment. Pretty sure it will be accessible at least for a little while beyond release.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NESSNESMASTER View Post
Ahhh, gotcha. Yea, I missed that one too XD. Agreed with the R-Type comment. Pretty sure it will be accessible at least for a little while beyond release.
Actually, the situation is much more critical, as expected. At the moment, it's only available if you are willing to pay the ridiculous shipping charge. Hopefully that is the case, or else this is misinfo.
Old May 1, 2021, 07:37 PM

For anyone else in the US looking at Amazon JP, I didn't see any issue with the shipping cost (ordered it just now). It was around $30 which is what I would expect the minimum to be these days. Loving this resurgence of R-Type (been playing Final 2 since Monday).

I'm more concerned about damage in transit since it is a boxed collection, because lately I have gotten a lot of damaged deliveries from DHL which seems to be the defacto courier since EMS was suspended which really gets annoying when paying shipping almost costs more than the contents of the package
Old May 4, 2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbfish View Post
For anyone else in the US looking at Amazon JP, I didn't see any issue with the shipping cost (ordered it just now). It was around $30 which is what I would expect the minimum to be these days. Loving this resurgence of R-Type (been playing Final 2 since Monday).

I'm more concerned about damage in transit since it is a boxed collection, because lately I have gotten a lot of damaged deliveries from DHL which seems to be the defacto courier since EMS was suspended which really gets annoying when paying shipping almost costs more than the contents of the package
Amazon JP has been slacking hard in the packaging department. The last time I ordered from them I bought 5 CDs, and they shipped them all in a paper envelope instead of the boxes they used to ship them in. Needless to say they all showed up destroyed. I wasn't happy about that at all. I haven't bought from them since. Which sucks because they have tons of material that I want.
Old May 5, 2021, 06:00 PM

Last package from Amazon Japan came in a box, but all the stuff inside (5 boxsets) were stacked, tight inside a plastic wrapping with a thin sheet of cardboard. No bubble wrap at all.

Looks like the new way to save money and GO GREEN (so trendy). Only problem is, any little bump or fall and your stuff is damaged. I was shocked, and FromJapan is doing exactly the same. Should have taken a photo.

I guess nobody cares much anymore, they're all gone FULL DIGITAL, buying stuff with their implanted chip through brain waves directly from big brother's large collection of media inside the matrix shop.
Old May 6, 2021, 10:15 AM

Yep, unfortunately had the same experience Lux, got my order today and why did they even bother wrapping it to that piece of paper? That wasn't rigid cardboard they used to use. DHL did an awful job as usual and now I've got a nice dent in the slipcase. Considering dropping my preorder for this now if I can find another seller. Amazon.jp used to be good
Old May 6, 2021, 07:47 PM
Trusted Editor

- Added album info from inserts
- Adding track times as I get to them
- Added Tomohiko Sato as an uncredited composer (credited as Movie Sound Composer in R-Types PSX credit scrolls) so that is definitely D3M22 and D3M24, *maybe* D3M20, and unknown on D3M24.
- Inserts say that both Takayuki Iwai and Yuki Iwai composed and did sound effects direction for R-Type Final but according to the games credit scroll, Yuki Iwai was the composer and Takayuki Iwai was the Sound Director & Designer and this is further validated from the original R-Type Final soundtrack insert credits. This is probably a lazy notation error.

Last edited by dancey; May 6, 2021 at 09:51 PM.
Old May 6, 2021, 08:15 PM

Hopefully CDJapan and Play-Asia will keep using good old bubble wrap. Can't believe what's happening. We are wasting billions of plastic gloves and masks for the flu every month, yet this pollution doesn't exist because they don't talk about it. I guess sending fragiles without protection is really the right way to save the planet, right here, right now. Go idiots.

Sorry for being out of topic.

I'm still on the edge about this release, I've never been a big fan of the series, is the music worth it? Trying to find an excuse to buy it.
Old May 6, 2021, 09:40 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Hopefully CDJapan and Play-Asia will keep using good old bubble wrap. Can't believe what's happening. We are wasting billions of plastic gloves and masks for the flu every month, yet this pollution doesn't exist because they don't talk about it. I guess sending fragiles without protection is really the right way to save the planet, right here, right now. Go idiots.

Sorry for being out of topic.
If you care more about the packaging your luxury box set item comes in over the 3.2+ million people who have died from a global pandemic (read: not the flu) perhaps just keep those off-topic opinions to yourself.

CDJapan still uses bubble wrap, green paper, and boxes.
I don't know what PlayAsia does, I never use them.
Amazon uses boxes with your items shrink-wrapped to a cardboard insert so they don't move around in shipping. They have been doing this for literally as long as I've been using them (20+ years).

I did once (recently) receive the green paper shipping envelope version that DistorteDContacT is talking about but it was not from Amazon, it was from a regular seller on eBay in Japan. Just like every personal seller they are trying to minimize shipping costs. It is unlikely that Amazon used this as a shipping method and they might have bought something off Amazon from a personal seller instead of Amazon themselves?

In the 25 years of having this hobby I have received items with dented corners, stress cracked cases from too much pressure, disc spindle holder things that have snapped or fallen off, etc, from every source (CDJapan, Amazon.co.jp, Wayo, VGMWorld, Otaku.com, eBay, personal sellers from forums, HMV.co.jp, Tower.co.jp, just to name a handful). No shipping method or vendor is perfect. I have never once received a CD, DVD, or Bluray that does not play. Those are the inherent risks you take when you have anything shipped to you from anyone from anywhere.

Everyone is allowed to have their own opinions and preferences wrt shipping practices and condition items are received in but please spare us the unfounded rhetoric. Evaluate your options, pick the shop you think is the best shipper/packager if it's that important to you, and assume the risk(s) of international shipping.

For what it's worth, Amazon.co.jp does have a return policy so if something gets to you unsatisfactorily damaged, you can return it.
Old May 7, 2021, 05:43 AM

I'm fine with risk. Just saying that switching to packaging with little to no protection, all of sudden, while wasting tons more at the same is not very meaningful. I'm also fine with you not liking my opinion and will not refrain from sharing it just because you don't like it.
Old May 7, 2021, 01:37 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
I'm fine with risk. Just saying that switching to packaging with little to no protection, all of sudden, while wasting tons more at the same is not very meaningful. I'm also fine with you not liking my opinion and will not refrain from sharing it just because you don't like it.
If you think spending money and materials on face masks and gloves in the middle of a global pandemic is a "waste" then I think the problem might be you.

My Amazon package for this boxset arrived fine, in a box and shrink-wrapped to a cardboard insert like in dancy's post.
Old May 30, 2021, 09:38 PM

Super R-Type composer breakdown, that I got directly from HIYA! back in 2016.

HIYA! did 10-03, 04, 05, 08, 16 and 17
HIROSHI aka Hiroshi Kimura did 10-06 and 15
And Charlie Y.K aka Yasuhiro Kawakami (supposedly him) did the rest plus SE

N̶o̶t̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶"̶B̶O̶N̶U̶S̶ ̶T̶R̶A̶C̶K̶"̶ ̶i̶s̶,̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶l̶i̶s̶t̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶.̶ The bonus track is basically a small excerpt of song 08 but with another melody above it (?). Not sure I understand, never heard it in-game, but I think this is HIYA!'s as well.

Ps: These track names just suck. This game had all the track names on the staff roll and they are MUCH better (some of them kept their original name).

Last edited by Robert_Chrystian; Jun 1, 2021 at 06:46 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 02:31 PM

can anyone who bought the boxset tell me a bit about the included interviews? i'm considering buying it and translating some of them for shmuplations, but itd be nice to know a little more first (are they only composer interviews, or is the general development covered too?). ofc if anyone could provide scans that'd be golden but I know it'd be lots of work...
Old Jun 12, 2021, 05:41 PM

It's composer interviews talking almost exclusively about the music. One page each for Ishizaki, Irie, and the Iwais (as a pair) and two pages each for Ishida and Hiyamuta.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
It's composer interviews talking almost exclusively about the music. One page each for Ishizaki, Irie, and the Iwais (as a pair) and two pages each for Ishida and Hiyamuta.
Thank you! I got my hopes up a little bit since the original webpage talked about "developer interviews" but didn't specify. Well, I'm still interested in translating these but probably will wait for scans since the box set is pricey. If anyone does want to make them for me (I'd like to do more R-Type stuff soon since we just posted a piece on Irem's late 80s arcade output), please DM me or email me via shmuplations, thanks!