VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How important is the obi strip to you?
Essential - Will not purchase album w/out one 4 11.76%
Preferred - Heavy preference towards having it 18 52.94%
Little Importance - Don't really care too much 6 17.65%
Zero Importance - I just want to listen to music 6 17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 16, 2012, 05:32 PM

Default How important is the obi strip to you?

The obi strip affects album prices. It looks nice. But how important is it to you?

I used to not really care about this, but after looking at Henry Explorers Original Game Soundtrack with the spinecard around the cd case I realized that the obi strip made my non-Japan cds look boring. I need to buy plastic sleeves to keep them wrapped around the cd case. I don't think I will buy soundtracks anymore that aren't complete.

Last edited by Vert1; May 16, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old May 16, 2012, 05:51 PM

If it's between $30 with and $25 without, I'll go for with. If it's $25 without and $50 with, I'll take without. It's not necessary in my book, but it does look better on the shelf, that's for sure.
Old May 16, 2012, 06:12 PM

sometimes, there are primordial info only on the obi you can't find anywhere else

Last edited by Phonograph; May 17, 2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old May 16, 2012, 07:40 PM

I have some albums that I'll be extremely hard pressed to find again... So if I find something I never see for sale and the obi is missing I'll get it for sure. But the obi is important to me. If I have an album without one and one pops up for sale with one, I'll buy the one with and sell the one without.
Old May 16, 2012, 08:34 PM

As listening oriented collector, it's not my thing, really. I have a hard time appreciating CD to CD just on the shelf as it is, and even then, there isn't even much artistic merit to the obi strip as opposed to the CD itself, right?
Old May 16, 2012, 09:07 PM

Nice thread I am mostly indifferent to the obi. It is actually a hassle because you have to stick it somewhere in the CD case and it is always falling out, getting stuck in the hinge or whatever.

If I can find a CD I want with obi, I prefer to get it for completeness sake, but I won't hesitate to buy one without. I mean, as far as the product goes, I'm pretty sure they are intended to be disposed.

The one exception I have, where the CD MUST have the obi is this: http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=64529
Old May 17, 2012, 02:41 AM

I don't care about obis. They are probably designed to draw attention from a potential buyer who looks at them at the store, but nowadays Amazon or Apple suggests us not visiting shops anymore. It's okay if I can just put them inside the case and keep them in mint condition, and in other words, I'm pretty annoyed by obis that are bigger than case...
Old May 17, 2012, 05:29 PM

Voted "Preferred" as it's not mandatory in my book, however if anyone has a spare Live A Live PSCN OBI lying around, I'm taking! XD
Old May 17, 2012, 06:02 PM

I'd rather my albums to include them.
Old May 18, 2012, 03:23 AM

I use to really care, and then I realized that it's really not that big a deal. If I'm gonna pay like... $3 more to get an obi... then okay, sure. But I see people with two listings for the same soundtrack, $45 without obi and $70 with obi and I just kinda laugh inside. But then I stop laughing because I realize I use to be that guy who would pay for that

Having the obi is cool and yeah I'd like my whole collection to be complete, but then, I like registration cards just as much and I like the actual CD the most of all
Old May 18, 2012, 04:01 AM
VGMdb Staff

Zero importance. Actual disc is all that matters, everything else is secondary. I can't put the obi in disc drive and play it, can I? lolz
Old May 18, 2012, 07:10 AM
Trusted Editor

Essential for me. Since I consider myself a collector I don't buy (used) stuff that's either incomplete (e.g. the missing obi) or non-mint (or both).

I don't even have the obi placed on the spine of the album. Most of the time the obi's placed inside the booklet by me, so it's not visible from the outside. So it really is just for sake of completeness, no visual aesthetics involved.
Old May 18, 2012, 12:47 PM
Trusted Editor

Essential. I only buy complete albums that come with obi, hagaki, and other bonus items. Yeah I'm a bit anal when it comes to completeness I guess

Last edited by suicider; May 18, 2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old May 18, 2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vert1 View Post
...the obi strip made my non-Japan cds look boring.
hands down, they look cool. Most of my western film music CDs feel naked in comparison to the Japanese stuff (I store CDs in resealable sleeves for protection and the J stuff with the strip around the spine, like it's sold).
Old May 21, 2012, 12:46 AM

If the soundtrack originally comes with an obi then it is an absolute must for me. I like every soundtrack I own to be as complete and mint as possible even if it means paying through the nose. Stickers and liner notes are a must and the only thing I might possibly overlook is the registration card but only for the super obscure albums.
Old May 21, 2012, 02:02 AM

Strongly preferred, but not essential. The more rare the item on offer, the less the obi matters to me.

Let's not talk about the early days before collecting, where I actually threw away the obi (for a couple of releases now pretty rare and expensive) because I considered them part of the wrapping...
Old May 21, 2012, 06:03 PM

I personally prefer buying something that's as close to original condition if it's used. Sometimes, I'll pass a CD if there isn't an obi. If it's a really good deal, I'll probably just buy it. I got a legit copy of Mario Party 3 without an obi for $2.50 off eBay. Paid a little under $6 after shipping.
Old May 22, 2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSIRockin View Post
I got a legit copy of Mario Party 3 without an obi for $2.50 off eBay. Paid a little under $6 after shipping.
Find it very hard to believe it isn't a bootleg.
Old May 22, 2012, 02:41 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Preferred, I consider it part of the cover artwork. Nowadays when I get an album with a spinecard, I just stick it inside the booklet for safekeeping.
Old May 22, 2012, 07:12 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
Preferred, I consider it part of the cover artwork. Nowadays when I get an album with a spinecard, I just stick it inside the booklet for safekeeping.
ditto! Unless it's one of those fancy super-tall obis that's too tall to fit inside the plastic jewel case. Sometimes those will fit behind the plastic tray. But usually those kinds of large-scale obis come with cardboard digipaks, so that's not an option either.

What I'm trying to say is, I've had a hard time with unwieldy obis. There was one that came with the FFXI OST Premium Box (it wrapped around the bottom), and over time it eventually got destroyed, just from moving from house to apartment to house to parent's house to house.
Old May 22, 2012, 05:14 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyblunder View Post
Find it very hard to believe it isn't a bootleg.
If it is, it's kind of hard to tell. Good quality printing, cat# checks out, and there aren't any weird company logos. I can only assume it's real.