VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 3, 2009, 01:48 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Seems like this album had a slightly different tracklist than the reprint (confirmation by Cedille here)

Looks like the current english translation is for the DigiCube tracklist, too.
Old May 3, 2009, 02:07 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Currently the reprint system can't allow separate tracklists for a parent album and its reprints. I say we stick with one of the tracklists and then list the differences for the other tracklist in the notes.
Old May 3, 2009, 02:21 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Actually, it does. Try adding a new tracklist to the reprint.
Old May 3, 2009, 08:42 AM

I just added the correct tracklist to the reprint, so I guess now the first print needs cleaning up?
Old May 3, 2009, 08:58 AM

I also added slightly modified English translation to the reprint, but my German is quite rusty and even with the help of some online translation tools, it could use an eye of someone who actually knows German.
Old May 3, 2009, 09:12 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Extra tracklist on original album removed.
Old May 3, 2009, 01:46 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
Actually, it does. Try adding a new tracklist to the reprint.
The other day I tried modifying the tracklist on the original album and it modified the same tracklist on the reprint album. I tested it the other way around and the same thing happened.
Old May 3, 2009, 01:54 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
The other day I tried modifying the tracklist on the original album and it modified the same tracklist on the reprint album. I tested it the other way around and the same thing happened.
Whenever you add a new reprint, it links to the tracklist of the parent automatically, and you don't have to enter a new one. The purpose behind this was so that the user did not have to propagate a track title change through to all of its reprints. There is only one tracklist in this case, and it is the parent's. If you edit the tracklist on the child, it edits the parent's tracklist.

But on occasion, a reprint has a different tracklist than its parent. For these cases, you can go to the child album and add a new tracklist. You should see a warning in yellow text that tells you that this will break the association with the parent's tracklist. When you submit this new tracklist, it belongs to the child, and not to any of the other albums in the hierarchy. If you delete one of these tracklists, the link to the parent's tracklist is re-established.
Old May 3, 2009, 10:44 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Whenever you add a new reprint, it links to the tracklist of the parent automatically, and you don't have to enter a new one. The purpose behind this was so that the user did not have to propagate a track title change through to all of its reprints. There is only one tracklist in this case, and it is the parent's. If you edit the tracklist on the child, it edits the parent's tracklist.

But on occasion, a reprint has a different tracklist than its parent. For these cases, you can go to the child album and add a new tracklist. You should see a warning in yellow text that tells you that this will break the association with the parent's tracklist. When you submit this new tracklist, it belongs to the child, and not to any of the other albums in the hierarchy. If you delete one of these tracklists, the link to the parent's tracklist is re-established.
Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't aware reprints could have either linked OR individual tracklists. I think it's a neat way to do it, albeit confusing at first.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:52 PM

Hey, don't mind me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the English tracklist always supposed to be the default if we have one? Or is it just because we want to avoid Asian character sets and a default with only Latin alphabet is okay...? Because in this soundtrack, the German tracklist is the default right now. It seems like the English one should be.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:57 AM
VGMdb Advisor

You're right, I've made the English tracklist the default.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:06 PM

Played through this awhile ago and found something interesting about this OST. It is missing 2 tracks. It's missing the themes of the towns of Hahn Nova and Laubholz.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:46 PM

Hahn Nova = 2.26 "Zauberkraft"
Laubholz = 2.21 "Nationaltanz"

Last edited by Jormungand; Aug 29, 2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:14 PM
VGMdb Advisor

^ Yeah. Though, I'm not sure this theme was included. Maybe that's what he referred to...
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:15 PM

Yeah, I was going to go find those on the OST but didn't want to sift through the tracks. I knew they were on there though.

(Mainly I just didn't want to have to listen to this game's music )

EDIT: Nisto, I can tell you from the first .4 seconds of that song that it's on there. I recognize that beginning.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:13 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Yeah, you're right. It's track 18 from disc 1, "Verborgenheit", I think.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:28 PM

You're a good man, I'll take your word for it.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:40 PM

Hey, thanks for fixing the tracklist thing!

Oh by the way, according to the PSF set for this game, the only songs missing are just alternate versions of Field Battle II, Field Battle III, and Marvel. These alternate versions either start in a different location in the song, or are just mixed differently, like less bass, less echo... but there really aren't any songs that were "left off" the soundtrack.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:09 AM

Red face

My mistake. It seems that all this time I have been missing tracks 21~27 of disc 2. I never thought to check my rip until now. Must have been like this since I bought the reprinted edition
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:05 AM

There needs to be more game music like this. There's really nothing else like it; only CMD is sort of similar.

Don't get me wrong, I love how Hamauzu has evolved (although his strength continues to be field/dungeon/battle music rather than cutscenes which are often forgettable). But SF2 has one of those unmistakable identities that just can't be matched.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:43 AM

Yeah, this is easily one of the best VG soundtracks of all time. So consistently high quality. I just wish that it would get a remaster at some point in the future, and that Hamauzu would be allowed the freedom to write something as good. I am sure that the problems I have with FFXIII (the ending credits medley, the pop songs) were more the producers' fault than his.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:06 AM
VGMdb Advisor

At the time the game was released, Hamauzu said FFXIII was probably his most representative work (right now I'm sure he would say it's "Black Ocean"!) so I'm pretty sure he is very satisfied with it. It's different from SaGa Frontier 2 because the game world was very precise in terms of art direction so he obviously had to write "precise" music as well. So, inside Cocoon, most of the music is ambiant, electronic or bombastic because this part of the game is artificial—hence the pop song in Sunleth, for example.
Disc 4 feels more "natural" because it's mostly music from Gran Pulse, the second part of the game world, which is a wild and genuine land. The music in FFXIII is really not random, Hamauzu tried his best to fit the visuals. Also, he worked with musicians and arrangers he is very familiar with (no wonder some are now part of his IMERUAT band).
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
At the time the game was released, Hamauzu said FFXIII was probably his most representative work (right now I'm sure he would say it's "Black Ocean"!) so I'm pretty sure he is very satisfied with it. It's different from SaGa Frontier 2 because the game world was very precise in terms of art direction so he obviously had to write "precise" music as well. So, inside Cocoon, most of the music is ambiant, electronic or bombastic because this part of the game is artificial—hence the pop song in Sunleth, for example.
Disc 4 feels more "natural" because it's mostly music from Gran Pulse, the second part of the game world, which is a wild and genuine land. The music in FFXIII is really not random, Hamauzu tried his best to fit the visuals. Also, he worked with musicians and arrangers he is very familiar with (no wonder some are now part of his IMERUAT band).
FFXIII is a great soundtrack, and I have few problems with it. By "pop songs", I meant the Sayuri Sugawara songs, which sounded very little like Hamauzu after SIN arranged them, not any of the other vocals, which were just fine. I don't know where the "random" thing came from, either...
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:00 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Ah, you know, these pop songs are now necessary in every Final Fantasy... Fortunately, you only hear them once, and then it's over. At least Hamauzu wrote "Kimi ga iru kara" himself in the Japanese version. It wasn't a dumb R'n'B song taken from elsewhere, like "My Hands".
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:51 AM

Really not trying to troll, but I think this soundtrack is discordant and extremely unenjoyable. There are very few songs on this soundtrack that I like. I really can't see what everyone likes in it. Many of the songs are extremely repetitive, looping the same 8 seconds over and over again, and then the last 35 seconds of the song "Oh okay do something different YAY FULL LENGTH SONG."

Bah, I dunno, this is probably the single soundtrack from Hamauzu that I really can't stand. I love Hamauzu, but I've never liked this soundtrack, even back in the day. It's odd too, I thought I liked it more than I did, and listened to it recently and remembered... wow.

EDIT: Some detail to what I said.
- Deviation: has a terrible trumpet-like synth in it that's just so off-key.
- Defiant Child: does exactly what I described, the same thing over and over again, and then changes for about 15 seconds.
- Underground: sounds like somebody with down syndrome just pounded on the same piano chord over and over again. The very end is particularly laughable.
- Deadly Enemy: is so frantically annoying, who can sit in their chair and just... listen to this? It's like the songs is literally trying to piss me off, heyheyhey hey heyheyhey hey heyheyhey hey heyheyhey, get annoyed, come on...
- Showing Joy II: couldn't blowout my ears, or my speakers, any more than it does.
- Panacea: same thing over and over again, change at the end. Formula, Hamauzu. Formula.
- Disharmony: One of my favorites, because Hamauzu admits it on this one! Hilarious.

But the winner is Point. This far and away IS one of the worse songs I've ever heard across any soundtrack. The same EXACT piano note over and over again for what is almost a minute straight, throwing another random note in there every now and then. Default to the extremely overused main theme for 27 seconds, and then it's BACK TO THE SAME PIANO NOTE FOR OVER A MINUTE THIS TIME. It's unlistenable. Nobody can seriously like this.

I'm sorry, but this is not one of the greatest VGM soundtracks of all time, even if simply for the technical aspect of the structure of the songs alone. They are so unevolved.

Last edited by Hellacia; Aug 30, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:27 PM
VGMdb Advisor

The loops are what makes it, I wouldn't have it otherwise.
I found the game really interesting too so that helps.

My favs being all the battle themes and 1.26.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:39 PM

Hmm, to comment on the music itself for SaGa Frontier II. Well, I like this soundtrack, I gave it a 3.5 rating which is a pretty good rating, not one of my stronger ratings but to me when you start getting down at around 2.5 it's not a very good soundtrack, it's your run-of-the-mill stuff. Maybe my ratings are skewed but it's how it works in my head. So, this is a good soundtrack, it has a number of songs that I like. But I can't deny that it has its share of just really not-so-good songs. I can't call this one of the greatest VGM soundtracks of all time by any stretch, and by no stretch can I also say that it is a chiefly flawed soundtrack that offers little enjoyment. It's a decent soundtrack, it does have its flaws and it does have its gems, I feel the good music outweighs the bad, but of course that's my opinion.

I think Nature Folk is a great example of melodious music on this soundtrack, one of my favorites, along with Dithyrambs for something to get my leg moving to a beat. Of course, like you duly mentioned Hellacia, Point really is pretty much just one single piano key struck over and over again for roughly 3 minutes long, but in VGM, I find that all soundtracks, even ones I love and give 4.0 and 4.5 ratings to, will always have some songs that just put me off, make me make a face and then just write it off and never come back to it. But on a whole the soundtrack can still deliver good stuff. Ultimately I find that SaGa Frontier II does that, even though it's not Hamauzu's strongest work by any means.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:43 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
Really not trying to troll /snip
You sure????

OK, the game context can make a world of difference. Speaking generally (so not only about this OST) there are so many tunes that are nothing special to a person who hasn't played the game. And those same tunes can fit almost perfectly in the game itself, so you remember the tune along with the game event/level/cinematic/whatever and only then you can judge it completely.

Last edited by Efendija; Aug 30, 2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:58 PM

I know among osts I like, most of them are games I played and finished
and osts I don't like, probably because I never played the games

I'm not sure it can apply for animes (in my case)
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:58 PM

Yes, Efendija, I'm sure I'm not trying to troll. I can have a real negative opinion that differs with everyone else's positive opinion, don't give me that shit

Also, I really don't agree much with that statement, music is music. Whether or not I know what scene it goes to in a game doesn't change the composition of it. I spent hundreds of hours playing Final Fantasy VII, beat it multiple times and still give the soundtrack 3/5 because nostalgia just doesn't really count for squat. Final Fantasy X, which I made it to Mi'ihen Highroad on and have no intention of playing through to the end, gets a 3.5/5 from me because the music is just better. As for this game, I played fully through it back in my gaming days and guess what? The music still sucks. 1.5/5 for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortavia View Post
Of course, like you duly mentioned Hellacia, Point really is pretty much just one single piano key struck over and over again for roughly 3 minutes long
Yeah, that about sums it up. But, as you so duly noted, Nature Folk is a really great track, a diamond in the rough for this soundtrack. It's one of like... 3 songs I genuinely enjoy on this soundtrack (meaning not "oh, that was pretty good" but like "yeah, add this to my favorites/playlist, would listen to again").