VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 24, 2010, 02:39 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Btw if anybody is curious, in the game the tracks are divided into main melody/percussion/vocals/strings/etc and the game mixes these in real time for depending on the action. You can hear some of these variations in the album but not all of them. The most notable music/variation missing is the music box version of Shadowlord.

Also Nier's downloadable content has some new tracks/remixes, quite different from the originals.

(and now with 100% less capital C in the album title, har har)

EDIT: for the curious, boss tracks are: 104, 113, 115, 201, 209, 215
since Keigo Hoashi said he did boss fights, problably some of these.
Though some event or area themes are also used as fighting tracks so it's hard to classify.

Since Nier's preorder albums actually credits Okabe and Ishihama (only) for some songs, 104 and 201 aren't Hoashi's.

Last edited by Dag; Oct 29, 2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old May 24, 2010, 02:50 PM
VGMdb Advisor

The soundtrack is even more haunting within the game, that's for sure.

There are those who wanted to quiet other's love for this album, but I'm sorry--I'm still absolutely in love with it. 5 stars.
Old May 25, 2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I listened to some tracks, and the music reminded me more of certain parts of Orrizonte and Royal Blood. I like those 'songs' on those albums, but listening to a whole album or game full of it would drive me nuts. It's like candy -- nice to have every once in a while, but you can't eat a whole meal of it.
That may explain why the music becomes revolting after 30 minutes or so. Upon initial exposure to NieR's music, I am completely overwhelmed. To attempt to listen to the whole album in one sitting becomes a laborious task, though.
Old May 25, 2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
There are those who wanted to quiet other's love for this album, but I'm sorry.
Hehe, you're such a fanboy, Kuja. But in this case, I agree with you! Monaca are a great team and did a wonderful job here.
Old May 25, 2010, 01:46 PM
VGMdb Advisor

How dare you call me a fanboy?
Old May 25, 2010, 03:25 PM

Definition: "A person who goes into an outburst every time something he likes is questioned." Sounds like you with respect to Nier or Ishimoto.

But I'm a fanboy about lots of things too, so don't mean it in a particularly derogatory way. It' s good to be passionate sometimes.
Old May 25, 2010, 03:32 PM

Wow, I guess I really need to listen to these soundtracks. I have absolutely no idea what this sounds like at all, I've never even heard of the games.
Old May 25, 2010, 05:14 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Why does this cover have a little "c".

via VGMdb

And this one have a big "C"?

via #gamemp3s
Old May 26, 2010, 12:24 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Definition: "A person who goes into an outburst every time something he likes is questioned." Sounds like you with respect to Nier or Ishimoto.
The problem with Ishimoto is not mine--his music is widely enjoyed inside and outside VGM circles. When I like something, I want to stand up for it. This is not fanboyism. This is passion.

As for the name of the soundtrack, the actual booklet has a little "c". The one with a capital "C" was probably used before the release when the album was promoted on Japanese game websites. This is not the first time Square Enix changed the cover before the release: it also happened with Crystal Bearers last year. At first, only Hidenori Iwasaki was credited, but then they added Ryo Yamazaki. That was for the greater good.
Old May 26, 2010, 03:29 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medina View Post
Wow, I guess I really need to listen to these soundtracks. I have absolutely no idea what this sounds like at all, I've never even heard of the games.
That's what I thought after reading this thread. Personally wasn't impressed with the soulless easy listening jam ... ._.

Tastes and colours, though !
Old May 26, 2010, 04:55 AM

That's actually why I want to give these soundtracks a try, to see if I like them just as much. Obviously I may not like it as much as some people, but hopefully I'll be able to at least see what they see in it. As for giving albums 5 stars, I don't really put enough thought into coming up with a critical response to what I hear and balancing a sense of accuracy to my own tastes, but of the many VGM releases I've listened to, the only ones I can really think of 5 star right now are Fuujin Ryouiki Eretzvaju and Aka.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:26 AM

So guys, wich artist tag are you using?
Old Aug 1, 2010, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperantia View Post
So guys, wich artist tag are you using?
Keiichi Okabe, Kakeru Ishihama, Keigo Hoashi, Takafumi Nishimura

No performers soiling my tags
Old Aug 1, 2010, 05:26 AM
Trusted Editor

You know that ID3v2 specifies a performer tag?
Old Dec 18, 2011, 06:49 PM

Can someone give me accurate tags for this? Freedb just tags everything as SQUARE-ENIX and I'm not sure who did what here.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 07:07 PM

The tags didn't specify composers, but I do know the following:

Keiichi Okabe: Grandma
Keigo Hoashi: Shadowlord (and most battle themes)

There are some other speculative things in the thread, but I had posted this a while ago.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:11 AM

This is certainly one of the most painful and annoying soundtracks I've ever listened to, and I really tried to like it. Talk about music (and probably game experience) being crowded with and destroyed by vocals... I call it the Sigur Rós of VGM.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:17 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

The vocals are the only thing going for this album. If it weren't for the vocals, everyone would realize how bland the compositions are!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:06 PM

I wasn't really a big fan of this soundtrack personally, but if that were true, why was the Piano arrangement album so well received?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
The vocals are the only thing going for this album. If it weren't for the vocals, everyone would realize how bland the compositions are!
But the vocals are part of the compositions. So the point is moot.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 09:55 PM

still discovering new songs on this OST that I didn't really notice before that I love now. Just wow. timeless perfection.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 02:52 PM

Keiichi Okabe is currently working on a score for Drakengard 3. I was excited to find out that a lot of original staff members from Drakengard 1&2 are back on board with the 3rd installment. Hopefully they'll be able to carry over the spirit of Drakengard 1 and NieR into this.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 03:47 PM

I'm a little undecided if I buy this, so I have a question, if I liked the soundtracks of Drakengard, then I'll like this too?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 04:00 PM

They have a bunch of samples for disc1/2 on official website to help you decide.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/dod3/
Old Jan 22, 2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hen View Post
I'm a little undecided if I buy this, so I have a question, if I liked the soundtracks of Drakengard, then I'll like this too?
No!

Nier is about as musically opposed to Drakengard 1 & 2 as is possible. 1 was dark, experimental, textural, and brilliant; 2 was dark, epic, exciting, and cinematic.

Nier? I can't think of a single good adjective. It's full of underdeveloped nonsense; the same chord progressions over and over. Pretty instruments and mixing and no substance whatsoever.

It's nothing like the first two, at all. Not even close.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Nier? I can't think of a single good adjective. It's full of underdeveloped nonsense; the same chord progressions over and over. Pretty instruments and mixing and no substance whatsoever.
Nier has no substance? You just killed me to death X|
Old Jan 22, 2014, 05:26 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
haha, Nier's soundtrack seems to be that thing that everybody either loves and calls it one of the best of all time, or boring, predictable stuff that begin to sound the same after the 4th song. I myself don't see what's so great about it, but so many people seem to love it that it must be us with the odd taste :P
Old Jan 22, 2014, 06:38 PM

I thought I was the only one.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 07:19 PM

Nier doesn't have much substance, and IS the same chord prograssion -- a simple circle of 5ths at that -- over and over.

But man, I can't help but love just how it SOUNDS. The slightly 'off' languages especially, but even just the general color of the music....it just works despite it all.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 01:47 AM

Without bursting a brain bubble I can't understand how can something have no substance and sound good at the same time.
I would say that substance is the music's content which makes you feel or think about something. Substance is music's ability to make an impact on a listener. So if it has no substance then it makes no effect on a person, it's pretty much noise in the background. Doesn't make you feel any hotter or colder.