VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 26, 2020, 06:09 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyswer View Post
Got my copy.
Crediting is a mess as sadly expected.

Nobuo Uematsu's name is plastered on nearly every track that he composed the original composition to, even if it's heavily arranged by somebody else. Like come on. Why can't they just keep track of who does what? It's so annoying. I hope we can get proper credits somehow soon.

For a mercy at least the 100% original tracks for the remake are properly credited.

About the music: yet to properly listen since it's a mammoth of an OST but I have played the game and I like it of course. These credits leave a bad taste in my mouth...
The booklet has complete composer and arranger credits broken down track-by-track. It's just the metadata that automatically gets filled in when you import the music to iTunes (or wherever) that has Uematsu's name front and center. The booklet credits are done very well!
Old May 26, 2020, 06:16 PM

I feel bad for jumping the gun, because the picture of the liner notes suggests exactly what I hoped for. A lot of folks seem to go with whatever Gracenote (and by extension, iTunes) churns out as official; all of that is user submitted.
Old May 26, 2020, 06:24 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerG View Post
I feel bad for jumping the gun, because the picture of the liner notes suggests exactly what I hoped for. A lot of folks seem to go with whatever Gracenote (and by extension, iTunes) churns out as official; all of that is user submitted.
It's unfortunate that the Gracenote stuff is poorly done, because a lot of people will either ignore what's in the booklet, or they will buy the digital copy only and won't be aware of the proper credits. We'll just have to deal with thousands of people crediting Uematsu-san for everything. Not that he shouldn't get high praise for composing all of the pieces from the original game, but so much effort was put into these new arrangements, and the brand new pieces written solely for the Remake, by so many people, that they really do deserve to be known.
Old May 26, 2020, 06:29 PM

Absolutely agree! I feel the similarly whenever a new FFXIV soundtrack releases and inevitably everything gets attributed by the fanbase to Masayoshi Soken (real second-hand embarrassment for everyone who attributed the Tactics, Vagrant Story and Tactics Ogre originals as his...)

I think it's hard for casual consumers to differentiate a composer from an arranger outside of the context of popular music, where its less about an arranger/composer versus a performing artist, who may or may not be the composer(s).
Old May 26, 2020, 06:32 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerG View Post
Absolutely agree! I feel the similarly whenever a new FFXIV soundtrack releases and inevitably everything gets attributed by the fanbase to Masayoshi Soken (real second-hand embarrassment for everyone who attributed the Tactics, Vagrant Story and Tactics Ogre originals as his...)

I think it's hard for casual consumers to differentiate a composer from an arranger outside of the context of popular music, where its less about an arranger/composer versus a performing artist, who may or may not be the composer(s).
Yeah, I don't think every fan is going to know what role an arranger plays, or how important a role that is (especially in a case like this OST). All we can do is try to educate people in a thoughtful, delicate manner if we see someone has made a mistake in their attribution.
Old May 26, 2020, 06:36 PM

I'm sure it feels semantic to some folks. Either way, I'm thrilled to be wrong about the content of the liner notes and I'm really excited my copies just shipped. It feels like a long time since a Square soundtrack release has properly felt like an event.
Old May 26, 2020, 08:36 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemcoMK View Post
If that is true, then he is also responsible for the new One Winged Angel. Very much the same sound/samples.

I'm still torn on that one – on one hand I feel like it's one of the most tasteless things I've heard in a long time (mostly because of the bastardization of Hamaguchi's classy orchestration with epic drums everywhere) but part of me secretly enjoys it. Anyway I would've been fine with a little more restraint, I mean how can they make it even more 'epic' for the upcoming games?
You were both right about Nishiki!

https://twitter.com/yasunorinishiki/...96294971359240
Old May 26, 2020, 09:54 PM

Jukebox Disc
Spoiler:

Composer: Nobuo Uematsu
Arranger: Takafumi Imamura

Arranger: Yuichi Tsuchiya

Composer: Mitsuto Suzuki & Nozomi Toki
Arranger: Mitsuto Suzuki & Naoyuki Honzawa
Lyrics: Motomu Toriyama

Arranger: Hydra

Arranger: Masanori Akita

Arranger: Miki Fujimoto

Arranger: Sakiko Sakuragi

Arranger: Hydra

Arranger: Naoyuki Honzawa

Composer: Mitsuto Suzuki
Arranger: Mitsuto Suzuki
Lyrics: Motomu Toriyama

Arranger: Sakiko Sakuragi

Composer: Mitsuto Suzuki & Nozomi Toki
Arranger: Mitsuto Suzuki & Naoyuki Honzawa
Lyrics: Motomu Toriyama (Lyrics Translation: Ben Sabin, John Crow)

Composer: Mitsuto Suzuki
Arranger: Tsuyoshi Sekito & Mitsuto Suzuki
Lyrics: Motomu Toriyama (Lyrics Translation: Ben Sabin, John Crow)
Old May 27, 2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Porter View Post
No big surprise there, as the tracks uses his trademark style he used on Octopath Traveler or Princess Connect! Re: Dive

I'm curious about the other credits ... glad the OST is out finally!
Old May 27, 2020, 12:23 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

I’ll post the composer/arranger credits soon. If anyone else is already in the process, post here and let me know so two of us aren’t doing the same thing.
Old May 27, 2020, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Porter View Post
The booklet has complete composer and arranger credits broken down track-by-track. It's just the metadata that automatically gets filled in when you import the music to iTunes (or wherever) that has Uematsu's name front and center. The booklet credits are done very well!
You're right I actually forgot to mention that and just jumped the gun hahaha.
Old May 27, 2020, 02:29 AM

Shotaro Shima is already the unsung hero of this soundtrack for me.
Old May 27, 2020, 02:46 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

I've finished the composer and arranger credits for all seven discs (and the eighth disc over on the special edition entry)!

I'll add lyricist credits and track lengths a bit later. I need to go eat dinner
Old May 27, 2020, 03:16 AM

Thank you very much for adding the credits, Chris Porter! I think Square Enix did an excellent job with these. I was afraid we won't get any track-track-track credits, but I think they know how important this soundtrack is for the fans.

Shotaro Shima is definitely my favorite arranger, indeed the unsung hero. And Nishiki also composed the stellar "Stewards of the Planet", one of my favorite cinematic pieces from the soundtrack! Now that's a surprise
Old May 27, 2020, 04:21 AM

THANK YOU Chris!

But now I'm even more confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Keiji Kawamori is missing and not only was the music supervisor, it seems he did a large chunk of the OST (arrangements).

FF7 Remake Music Interview

Kitase and M. Toriyama seem to have both acted as "music directors", although it's clear Kawamori was more realistically in charge of the direction side of things
Old May 27, 2020, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Al Copeland
Tsukasa Mogamigawa by the courtesy of UNIVERSAL MUSIC LLC
Just 2 vocalists for the entire game?

And is there mark which are new compositions for the game apart from the new arrangements of the originals?

If I am reading the track by track credit correctly, Shotaro Shima did almost the entire first disc's new arrangement compositions if that's how to word it not sure.

Last edited by ako; May 27, 2020 at 05:35 AM.
Old May 27, 2020, 05:52 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ako View Post
Just 2 vocalists for the entire game?

And is there mark which are new compositions for the game apart from the new arrangements of the originals?

If I am reading the track by track credit correctly, Shotaro Shima did almost the entire first disc's new arrangement compositions if that's how to word it not sure.
Vocals for the BGM:
Choir - The Philharmonic Choir of Tokyo (within which there are 36 singers, which are all listed)

Vocals for "Hollow"
Vocalist: Yosh (Survive Said the Planet)

Vocals for the Jukebox songs recording section:
non
Keisuke Albert Kato
KAORI (Language)

As for which tracks are new to the Remake: anything that doesn't have Nobuo Uematsu credited as "composer" is a brand new composition. If Nobuo Uematsu is credited as composer along with one or two other composers, it means that themes he wrote are part of the track, but there are also new passages that the other composer created that aren't in the original FFVII.

So the first disc is almost entirely arrangements of tracks originally composed by Nobuo Uematsu. And yes, Shotaro Shima arranged nearly all of them on the first disc.

In contrast, Disc 5 is almost entirely new compositions that aren't based on original tracks by Uematsu. Masashi Hamauzu has the bulk of the brand new tracks on this disc, though there are a few notable exceptions.
Old May 27, 2020, 06:15 AM

Thanks for the information. My thinking seems to be slow due to being a bit tired not seeing the obvious how to tell what are new from Nobuo's originals sooner.

Quote:
non
Keisuke Albert Kato
KAORI (Language)
Does it clarify who was involved on what tracks?
Old May 27, 2020, 06:24 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ako View Post
Thanks for the information. My thinking seems to be slow due to being a bit tired not seeing the obvious how to tell what are new from Nobuo's originals sooner.

Does it clarify who was involved on what tracks?
It doesn't, actually. It has lyricist (Motomu Toriyama), but doesn't indicate who the vocalist is on each track. I wonder why they didn't add that bit of info...

Well, I guess we could look up other songs the vocalists listed above have done and see if we can match their voice with the vocal songs on the Jukebox disc.
Old May 27, 2020, 06:35 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
THANK YOU Chris!

But now I'm even more confused...
There's a quote from Kawamori in the booklet and he's credited as "Music Supervisor". It sounds like he was largely in charge of the music system and how it works within the game (dynamically changing, etc.). The interview is misleading though, because I thought that it sounded like he had done a bunch of arrangements himself too.
Old May 27, 2020, 08:23 AM

I'm puzzled by 'High Five'. It sounds so much Mitsuto Suzuki (it even is a battle track corresponding to his field track) yet it says it was composed by Uematsu and arranged by Naoyuki Honzawa? Strange.
Old May 27, 2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I'm puzzled by 'High Five'. It sounds so much Mitsuto Suzuki (it even is a battle track corresponding to his field track) yet it says it was composed by Uematsu and arranged by Naoyuki Honzawa? Strange.
Naoyuki Honzawa is a frequent arranger of Mitsuto Suzuki's work. High Five is absolutely composed by Mitsuto Suzuki, so it's a mistake.
By the way, there's a few missing songs from the soundtrack such as the battle version of Under the Rotting Pizza and the Avalanche theme reprise that first plays in Chapter 15 from what I've heard.

Aside from that, I'm really happy there's full track by track credits though they do overattribute Uematsu's presence as expected. They really should've just put
"Original FFVII Music: Nobuo Uematsu" and not bother putting his name in tracks that he's "composed" for (only the original melody) since it's been clearly heavily arranged/probably even party composed by the credited arranger.

But beggars can't be choosers haha.
Old May 27, 2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Naoyuki Honzawa is a frequent arranger of Mitsuto Suzuki's work. High Five is absolutely composed by Mitsuto Suzuki, so it's a mistake.
By the way, there's a few missing songs from the soundtrack such as the battle version of Under the Rotting Pizza and the Avalanche theme reprise that first plays in Chapter 15 from what I've heard.

Aside from that, I'm really happy there's full track by track credits though they do overattribute Uematsu's presence as expected. They really should've just put
"Original FFVII Music: Nobuo Uematsu" and not bother putting his name in tracks that he's "composed" for (only the original melody) since it's been clearly heavily arranged/probably even party composed by the credited arranger.

But beggars can't be choosers haha.
Completely agree. I've already seen a lot of yt comments that praise Uematsu for tracks he's had no involvement in. It's pretty bad on digital releases where his name is the only that's listed on a lot of tracks.

Regarding the missing tracks, don't forget that wonderful Aerith's Theme variant that was previously labelled as Daughter's Farewell. Really want to know who did that one.
Old May 27, 2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I thought I was going crazy! Honzawa arranging it sounds right, but I'm not hearing an Uematsu composition in there. I'm sure it's a misprint, but I hope we get confirmation Suzuki (or otherwise) wrote it if that's the case.
Old May 27, 2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Thanks! I wonder about all the other Honzawa tracks though. They all sound like Suzuki to me. Or like they're all collaborations of some kind.

Anyway, there's also an Avalanche theme version from Chapter 13 missing as well as a track at the beginning of Wall Market when Tifa passes by with the Chocobo. And for the love of god, why is the first phase of Kobayashi's awesome track missing?
Old May 27, 2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I don't understand this either. Was *sure* it was M. Suzuki's work! Does anyone know a Uematsu song with High Five's themes that I'm not thinking of?
Old May 27, 2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinhold23 View Post
I don't understand this either. Was *sure* it was M. Suzuki's work! Does anyone know a Uematsu song with High Five's themes that I'm not thinking of?
The only thing I can think of is the VERY small reference to the normal battle theme towards the tail end of the track (~3:10 into it - perhaps its layered in there other places)
Old May 28, 2020, 06:37 AM

Interestingly, 'Tightrope' has live performed brass while that isn't the case with the in-game version. Maybe Shima realised he wrote a big hit and decided to clean it up before the soundtrack release?

Wish that some other composers had put as much care in their tracks as he did. Absolutely top-class work, in both his arrangements and original compositions. He manages to combine both the 'cinematic' sound of Y. Suzuki with classy orchestrations and live performances *and* in some tracks managed to put in some of the original FFVII synths. What a guy.
Old May 29, 2020, 01:23 AM

Shima really shined in this album. I believe he should of also been in the main credit advertisement alongside Hamauzu and Suzuki.
Old May 29, 2020, 04:53 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Interestingly, 'Tightrope' has live performed brass while that isn't the case with the in-game version. Maybe Shima realised he wrote a big hit and decided to clean it up before the soundtrack release?

Wish that some other composers had put as much care in their tracks as he did. Absolutely top-class work, in both his arrangements and original compositions. He manages to combine both the 'cinematic' sound of Y. Suzuki with classy orchestrations and live performances *and* in some tracks managed to put in some of the original FFVII synths. What a guy.
Yeah, Shima's work is super impressive on this soundtrack. I hadn't even heard his name before this (I didn't play any of the FF Record Keeper games), so I was really surprised that so many of the outstanding tracks on this were either his arrangements or original compositions.