VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 16, 2009, 05:40 PM

I find VG music has such great compositions and is truly great music to listen to. As a kid growing up on the NES, Sega, all I could remember is the awesome music to it. It wasn't until '05 when I started purchasing OSTs. With that said, I'm pretty happy with my collection as I've managed to get some rare titles
Old Sep 17, 2009, 04:56 AM

Well I started officially buying vgm in 2002 when I stumbled upon an irc channel and actually found out that game soundtracks existed. In 2003 I sold my collection, around 90 pieces (some crap, some very rare) because I was desperate for education cash but the desire to own never went away. Then *5* yes five years later, I found myself in a position to collect vgm again, and since then I have been whore hunting some of the rarest soundtracks on the planet. Why whore hunt the rare ones you say? Just unfortunate that most of my childhood games were very popular, and hence the soundtracks are too. Altho it be only 200 strong I am very proud of my collection, and each of the rare titles has been patiently waited for, to ensure each of my albums is complete and in tip top condition (obi-less albums make me want to tear my eyes out.) VGM is a passion and a hobby, and I love the nostalgic attachments old soundtracks bring to you. I also love the hunt, maybe more than actually owning the pieces themselves, and I find that the most rewarding part of all. On a final note, Eternal Arcadia OST is the best soundtrack ever made, but my favourite piece from my collection is Contra Spirits, that hunt took me about 14 months to find a mint and complete copy.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 08:49 AM

Growing up, I started to love videogames in a deeper, more mature, way. This lead me to love the videogame music: sometimes I like it because it's good music in itself, other times I want a cd because the love for the game makes me love the music (Resident Evil 4, Pink Sweets: Ibara Sore Kara, ...). I want to purchase a cd only if I am strongly interested to it, I sincerely disagree that people getting many things because they want to get many things. I try to get only factory sealed cds.
I am planning to get all of Treasure games soundtracks as a tribute to Treasure: there's no other reason for which you could be interested in Bangai-O Spirits OST, I guess.
As for downloadable music, it is so mediocre in quality that it's an insult to videogames and Music: audio quality, and not the feeling of keeping a cd in my hands is the reason which I get cds for. Also, it's honest to support authors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post

Here are a few pictures of my collection:

I think that storing cds vertically someway damages them. It's not as good as storing orizontally because of the gravity force.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 08:32 AM

I have been a computer-music fan almost since I started playing video-games (around '87, on Atari ST) and watching demoscene productions. I guess it was the instrumental, melodic and synthetic properties of it which appealed me so much.

I enjoy it to the point that I once used my gameboy as a walkman (playing tunes in the sound test or in pause mode), and made tapes out of various systems plugged on the stereo.
I also started composing computer-music (around '94), using trackers.

Then, thanks to the internet, I discovered about the VGM world in Japan: pressed CDs released with complete soundtracks of even the most obscure arcade games (well, obscure in France ), high end studio arrangements with live instruments, symphonic arrangements, etc... Oh man!

So I started looking for those albums, and found some in stores on Paris. Unfortunately most of those shops carried pirate versions but luckily, I found out about it before buying a big lot.
Then I turned to internet shops, auction sites, sales forums, found legit releases there, and the collection started.

So as you see, computer-music has been a part of my life since my early childhood, then what could be more logical than collecting CDs featuring this kind of music?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 01:35 PM

Ever since i started playing games i thought the music was cool, i remember humming the tunes to Out Run and Afterburner when i was a kid. The thing that got me really into it was a friend doing me a tape of PC Engine cd-rom music, back in the early nineties. The same friend also showed me that you could actually buy some cd's as as he had an import shop he got me a few.

I only have a small collection, and i really want to grow it as there are lots of soundtracks i really love.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 01:42 PM

Mix the soundtrack for Jazz Jackrabbit with Ending from Rockman World and The Moon from DuckTales into the many tunes from Spyro the Dragon, Pokemon Red and Green, Star Fox 64, Super Mario 64, and Jet Force Gemini. Dig in.

EDIT: Whoops. Did not catch the part about VGM CDs in the title (unless getting Smashing Live through NP counts as a collection all its own).

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Jun 11, 2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shively View Post
I remember recording NES & SNES to tape. Some of the recordings came out really good such as my Street Fighter recording while others came out so so. I remember recording Final Fantasy Mystic Quest and durring the final battle you could hear my cat meowing a few times.

As you can imagine when I found Midis ( at first ) I was so excited I almost tossed my tapes but not quite, still have my old school street fighter tape somewhere...
That is exactly what I did. I had so many tapes. From Castlevania all the way to Chrono Trigger. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only out there that ever did that!

I download and burn my music to CD. I have it on my mp3 player. In my head. Everywhere. I have loved VGM's ever since I was remixing the sewer level in Mario Brothers 1 in my head.

There really nothing else to add, as it has already been done so eloquently here already. It's great to meet folks that have such a passion for this genre'.