VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:59 AM

Question FALL ANIME SEASON 2012 - What are you watching/listening?

As between animation/film/video game music fans I am pretty sure that there are few members who are watching some anime series only for music...I should probably write that I hope that there are some members of this kind.

So this season for me:
Zetsuen No Tempest - amazing orchestral music, anime - should be interesting

"K" - hip groovy music, anime - little bit mess, I hope this will be not "Horizon" anime case where I didn´t understand anything from it´s plot.

JoJo B.A. - it is Matsuo - music fit scenes like glove, anime - strange visual style, weird story - don´t like both main characters

Magi -again great music and I like oriental themes delivered by Sagisu(yes there are some brief Bleach music similarities), anime - like the story and it´s settings

Code: Breaker - Hattori bring again some excellent action writting and his writting skills for wind instruments are awesome, anime - watchable

Best so far after hearing in anime: Zetsuen no Tempest

All the best
Porter
Old Oct 9, 2012, 02:19 PM
VGMdb Staff

I don't really watch anything only for the music. I'll give you my thoughts so far on what I've watched.

Oshima's work on Zetsuen no Tempest is excellent, as expected. I agree that it's easily the best soundtrack so far this season. I feel like the music didn't really fit with the anime though (kind of distracting). Seems like it could be a decent show, but I won't expect much due to the writer.

K was pretty cool. Good piano. The character themes were interesting and that arrange of the main theme was nice too. I keep seeing people complaining about it not making sense even though it's only the first episode. I don't get that.

Go Shiina's soundtrack for the new Kyousogiga is better than Hiroshi Takaki's soundtrack for the old one. Even though it's just a short little anime, the music fit very well and was orchestral.

JoJo's music was nice and classy. Very fitting too. Matsuo sure knows what he's doing. The visual style was really interesting, I liked that part about it. I heard the story/characters get better from a lot of people.

One episode of Magi and I'm hooked. Really like the setting so I hope it doesn't disappoint in the long run. The music was pretty standard Sagisu and pretty much what I was expecting. Definitely has similarities to some of his other stuff, but that's just due to his recognizable style.

I wasn't really planning on watching CODE:BREAKER but I wanted to hear Hattori's latest work. Was actually pretty watchable. Music was good in general. Only a couple orchestral tracks in the first episode, but I'm sure there will be more.

I'm a fan of Yuji Nomi's work so it's no surprise that I liked his music for Sukitte Ii na yo. It's a shoujo romance anime, so the music is what you would generally expect. There wasn't a whole lot of music played in the first episode, but what was played was nice. A couple peaceful acoustic tracks, a cheery woodwind track accompanied by piano, and some sentimental piano tracks accompanied by strings. The anime itself left me with a good feeling. Felt very similar to Kimi no Todoke.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:29 PM
Trusted Editor

I tried out Zetsuen no Tempest after reading everywhere that it was "the killer score of the year" but I honestly don't see why people regard it so highly. I find it boring like most of the works I know from Oshima (FMA, Sora no Woto, Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei, Xam'd and probably some more). Same applies to the anime itself -- I don't think I'm going to watch more than ep2 if there isn't as drastic change in plot.

Scorewise I very much enjoyed Girls and Panzer. Crazy plot but very pleasing music for my ears.

Plotwise I enjoyed Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!. Had some good laughs while watching ep1 (the scene at the trainstation -- epic Jedi force demonstration *g*).

Also going to continue:
Shinsekai Yori (reminds me of Noein)
Little Busters!

EDIT: Dropped Zetsuen no Tempest after nearly falling asleep during ep2. I'd probably die from boredom during the next episodes *yawn*

Shinsekai Yori keeps getting better and better, I hope they can get maintain this level.

Also tried first ep of Magi, but it turned out to be a huge waste of time. What is this supposed to be? An Arabian nights parody?

Last edited by LiquidAcid; Oct 13, 2012 at 07:51 AM.