VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 1, 2009, 06:11 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Does anyone have any confirmation on the composers Keiki Kobayashi, Tomoko Tatta, Junichi Nakatsuru?
Old Feb 1, 2009, 06:56 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Here is the credits for both games, from the staff rolls (I'll skip the "sound" credits and info from tracks not included in this album):

Seven:
Music Director: Masako Oogami (大上昌子)
Music Composers: Masako Oogami (大上昌子), Yoshinori Kawamoto (川元義徳), Tomoko Tatsuta [not Tatta] (辰田朋子), Hiroshi Ookubo (大久保博)
Cinematics Music Composer: Tomoko Tatsuta (辰田朋子)
Violinist: Takayuki Oshikane (押鐘貴之)

Venus & Braves:
Sound Director and Composer: Masako Oogami (大上昌子)
Composers: Ke-ki Kobayashi (小林啓樹), Tomoko Tatsuta (辰田朋子), Jun'ichi Nakatsuru (中鶴潤一)
Waltz for Ariah (track 16): Music by Ke-ki Kobayashi (小林啓樹)

In Venus the composers' names were written in English as well as in kanji.

Btw, the catalog number for this one is SLPS-25195, but that's the game's ID. Shouldn't we just leave it blank?

A pity these two didn't get proper releases...

Last edited by Dag; Feb 18, 2011 at 04:57 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 07:32 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks for the credits. There are some composers that Cedille didn't put up, but we don't know who composed which track, and it's possible those exra composers don't have any tracks featured here.

We've been using the game's catalog number when a soundtrack is included in that game. It's kind of a habit we picked up from the GMR days, and is probably ok to continue until we get a real number from the back of the CD.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 04:49 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
Yasuhiro Ookubo (大久保博)
This is Hiroshi Okubo.

Quote:
Venus & Braves:
Sound Director and Composer: Masako Oogami (大上昌子)

. . .

In Venus the composers's name were written in English as well as in kanji.
The end credits to Ace Combat 5 also confirm that the preferred romanization of this name is "Oogami," not "Ohgami" as GMCL says, so I changed the artist page.

Quote:
A pity these two didn't get proper releases...
Haven't heard the soundtrack to 7, but I definitely agree about Venus & Braves. Wonderful OST.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Thanks for the credits. There are some composers that Cedille didn't put up, but we don't know who composed which track, and it's possible those exra composers don't have any tracks featured here.
Well, I just edited the breakdown only based on the credit of V&B, and Okubo and Kawamoto should be there.

On a slightly related note, I really didn't know "Waltz for Ariah" was singly credited for my #2 favorite composer, and can't help but have a mixed feeling about it. I mean, it's a good piece of music, but Namco once removed its ringtone from their website, due to 'copyright problem'... and many people have pointed out its resemblance to "Shalion". But yeah, this track really doesn't sound like anything Kobayashi has done since then (that's why I have believed Ohgami would be behind this until now).

Last edited by Cedille; Feb 1, 2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 02:50 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
Hiroshi Okubo.

Haven't heard the soundtrack to 7, but I definitely agree about Venus & Braves. Wonderful OST.
Good catch about Okubo, not sure why I got it wrong.

7's OST isn't as good as V&B, but there are some great tracks not included in the sampler (like variations of track 3 and character themes). Most of the better ones are already there though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
On a slightly related note, I really didn't know "Waltz for Ariah" was singly credited for my #2 favorite composer, and can't help but have a mixed feeling about it. I mean, it's a good piece of music, but Namco once removed its ringtone from their website, due to 'copyright problem'... and many people have pointed out its resemblance to "Shalion". But yeah, this track really doesn't sound like anything Kobayashi has done since then (that's why I have believed Ohgami would be behind this until now).
Interesting, do you know more about that? I've heard before there were copyright issues and an OST wasn't likely to be made, but I thought it was just that the game bombed in sales.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 06:05 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Btw, the catalog number for this one is SLPS-25195, but that's the game's ID. Shouldn't we just leave it blank?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
We've been using the game's catalog number when a soundtrack is included in that game. It's kind of a habit we picked up from the GMR days, and is probably ok to continue until we get a real number from the back of the CD.
SLPS-25195 is printed on the scan we have, so it's fine to use this as the catalog number even if it's the same as the game's. Some of the Disgaea enclosure CDs are this way as well. On the other hand, PC enclosures almost always have their own specific number, so those should be left blank if unknown.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 03:26 AM

I had a scan at one point of the actual disc, and the catalog on it is V&B-001. I'll try to dig up that pic for proof.

EDIT: I found my scans and upped a higher res of the front, as well as a scan of the disc.

Last edited by JumboMaverick; Jun 28, 2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 03:26 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I was checking JASRAC when I thought about looking into this.
Use this JASRAC search page + "waltz for ariah" in the second box (direct link)... it actually lists both Shalion and Waltz for Ariah in the same entry! And they do have Masako Oogami there (the original composer is Michiru Oshima). I could have sworn the staff roll has Kobayashi, but I'll try to recheck it soon just in case.
EDIT: it definitely says Kobayashi did Waltz for Ariah. Maybe Oogami is listed for being the music director, performer or whatever.

Dunno what all this really means. They licensed from JASRAC Grandfather's Clock for the game and the copyright for it is listed in the credits though. What a bizarre situation... Honestly I don't really see much resemblance between both songs anyway.

Last edited by Dag; Aug 22, 2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 03:37 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I added the composition credits from the just-released first volume of the 7 OST and rejiggered the linked artists to just who's confirmed to have music on this disc so far. A second volume is on the way in February, so that should hopefully have the remaining tracks.

I did the composer accreditation based on track titles, so if any tracks have radically different titles on the two albums, I missed them. I did notice a few slight variations ("Opening Movie" vs. "Opening," "Name Window" vs. "Naming Window," etc.).

EDIT: Oh yeah, and also "Seven - The Cavalry of Molmorth" is apparently the official English title, as that's what Namco's using on their sound label site. Or as official as it'll be, anyway.

Last edited by CHz; Jan 26, 2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:35 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I suggest only leaving one of Seven's names in the product field, since it may be confused as US + Japanese releases.
"Seven: The Cavalry of Molmorth" is printed on the disc btw and I think it was used in official sites and such.

Btw-- Venus & Braves was recently rereleased on the PSP, with no music changes I could see. Themes based on the Waltz for Ariah motif are the same, etcetera. But since I believe WfA proper only plays late in the game, I don't know yet if they axed it (it's in the disc files, though).

Last edited by Dag; Mar 7, 2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Violinist: Takashi Oshigane (?) (押鐘貴之)
Takayuki Oshikane
Old Feb 17, 2011, 06:55 AM

HELLO, can add these album in "Related Albums" ?

Seven - The Cavalry of Molmorth Music Collection vol.1
http://vgmdb.net/album/23481
Seven - The Cavalry of Molmorth Music Collection vol.2
http://vgmdb.net/album/23578

THANK YOU~
Old Feb 17, 2011, 07:08 AM

Related albums are automatically added when multiple albums share the exact same text in the product field, which means it works mostly when there is only a single product.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 01:17 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Track 04 wasn't included in Seven Music Collection V1 or 2 thus uncredited.

But since it's a movie track it should be by Tomoko Tatsuta, from the staff roll as "Cinematics Music Composer: Tomoko Tatsuta".

Seven V1 also credits 11, 13, 22 (which are also movie tracks) to Tatsuta, so the staff roll credit seems legit.
A few other movie tracks weren't included in either volume though.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:49 PM

19 and 20 are for sure by Junichi Nakatsuru, similar compositions from Soul Calibur. 17 is possible by Koboyashi. 18 has different sound structure, so its most likely to be Tomoko's.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:11 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Hold up, is there confirmation from Namco on those Venus & Braves tracks? It sounds like you're guessing, and we shouldn't be putting guesses on album pages.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:34 PM

Yes, I'm guessing, but I could ask the composer if its his work. I'll let you know if he replies. Should I change it back, in the mean time?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:58 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I reverted the change. You can guess all you want in the discussion threads, but guesswork should never make it to the album page.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:01 PM

I did receive confirmation from Nakatsuru that The Battle is his works. Though, I'll ask him about the others as well.