VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Oct 18, 2014, 01:43 AM

Default want to do a game remix album but don't know how

i LOVE game music & ive always wanted to do a remix album of classic games like nintendo, sega, konami, capcom, etc but i don't know how to start i wanted to ask on this forum bc it's dedicated to vgm so i want to know what i need to start like what mixing software should i use, what i should name the albums (my bro said to call the sega one "vault sega" in referense to vault disney on disney channel in 90's), what songs to remix, etc please give me a list of classic 8 & 16-bit nintendo, sega, konami, & capcom games to remix i want to remix popular & obscure themes
Old Oct 18, 2014, 08:13 AM

I think you're asking the wrong questions if you're not already producing music. It isn't as simple as downloading software, though that is of course one way to start!

There is a large variety of music software available out there. It is hard to say which you should use though. My recommendation based on my own personal experience would be to find free (or cheap) MIDI sequencing software, and worry about finding a digital audio production suite later on once you've familiarised yourself with the basics of writing songs. I also recommend finding an active music composing community to participate in and nurture you. There isn't much of one on VGMdb; OCRemix should be better for that.

As for which songs to remix, it is absolutely your choice as a creator! No-one else can meaningfully tell you what ideas to work with or materials you should be using. Stick with stuff you love and be authentic as possible, IMO.

But anyway, tl;dr, be prepared to spend some time learning to write music, learn music software, familiarise yourself with principles of music and sound, and so on, and have fun just learning. Ambitious projects come afterwards.