VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Nov 26, 2014, 02:51 PM

I added to tracklist from Amazon.co.jp, and I also put in the localized version from the in-game names of the tracks that were altered a little.

Kinda disappointed how the track that was used in Elizabeth's Japanese ultimax trailer isn't on here as an additional track, but still nice that we're getting some extra tracks. And what I can only assume is the cutscene music, that's nice to see as well.

Should Tomoko Komiya be in the performers as well? The booklet doesn't list her, but she does do the vocals in track 22.

Last edited by IJustDontKnowAnymore; Dec 18, 2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:44 AM
Trusted Editor

Is there any reason to have a fan translated English tracklist over an official, localized one?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 01:09 PM

From my understanding the distinction between the two is that the English tracklist retains as much of the stylization as possible to match the Japanese one, whereas the localized tracklist is just its own thing disregarding the stylization of the Japanese tracklist.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 04:48 PM
Trusted Editor

but it's still the more "official" one right? at least it should be the featured tracklist, right?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 04:54 PM
VGMdb Staff

Yeah, more official one should be default.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 05:16 PM

Wait, sound tests and such are considered the official tracklists now? I guess I'll change the Baten Kaitos one I added to default even though it has dumbass titles like "Doomed In The Netherworld" instead of "Dark Conviction" then?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 05:54 PM
VGMdb Staff

Well, localization (if it exists of course) has official capacity compared to fan translation, nothing new there.

About the quality of localization (either if it's missed or not literal enough translation for example), one can always complain
Old Dec 20, 2014, 03:09 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Back in mah day the unwritten rule (which the vgm settlers used) is that sound tests and iTunes tracklists never were to be default (not really official), unless they were close enough to the originals that fan translation wasn't really needed.

Unlike English tracklists written in the booklet (very official), which always should be default regardless of quality.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 06:04 AM
VGMdb Staff

Oh yeah, it's certainly hard to find 100% type of rules on this site, no matter the moment.

Only saying in the absence of pure English tracklist on the CD's printed material, selected/relevant localization from an official game release also carries a type of official capacity opposed to fan version and sure, fan translation can be a subject of constant changing to find what is the bestest xD translation.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:20 AM

I don't see this reasoning at all. This is like saying iTunes tracklists should now be default. brb making all the dumb Final Fantasy iTunes tracklists default because they're more "official" (because right now none of them are the default because this isn't actually a thing).

Something outside of the printed material of a soundtrack is less official then what's actually inside of the soundtrack itself. Stuff from the game just shouldn't be the official default. Because I can hand you the Devil Kings in-game song names right now and they're literally not even close. "The Whereabouts of Victory" becomes "Tide of Battle" and "Running in the Wilderness" becomes "Theme of Riverglen". If you're tagging a gamerip, then use what comes from a game, but the soundtrack's names should be what's default for the soundtrack so if somebody translates the Japanese names of the songs from the soundtrack, that should be the default tracklist. I don't get trying to make something else "more official", it just seems like we're trying to make things more black and white and avoid translation discussions which is lame.

Last edited by Hellacia; Dec 20, 2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:48 AM
VGMdb Staff

Nobody sane would think this is some sort of arbitrary retroactive thing to ye olden albums (if that's what you're implying). iTunes, Amazon and similar stores are just stores, they never technically "translate" anything themselves, they get the albums to sell, and just sell them in the form they were given.

For Square Enix nowadays, the company is the source of translation and just how that isn't an official translation?

iTunes tracklist (again, for new games):
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/li...sy/id739682128

which is sourced from Square Enix:
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/s...fabula/LRFF13/

That's not official?

---

As for really in-game localization because there isn't a better source (aside from the ever-present fan translation), it depends on the moment, on the album itself and if the people don't have a problem with it e.g.
http://vgmdb.net/album/42692

And localization from a hired/whatever professional company is official too when it appears on the official game release, it's not a fan translation patch.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post
and just how that isn't an official translation?
...because half the time they're not looking at the soundtrack names at all? I dunno. I'm to assume the CAPCOM did the translation for Devil Kings and Devil Kings has song names that, again, aren't remotely close (and more than just the examples I gave). You think that just because an English team slaps in names of songs they like, it's an official translation of the soundtrack material? Then you're living in dream world.

I also love how "new games" suddenly become an added requirement to this shit. Yeah, what year does that start? Any year that favors your reasoning? This is so fucking subjective, I don't see how we can't favor a translation that was done directly from the soundtrack material over one that a localizing publisher can arbitrarily slap into the game. This is laughable, but whatever, you're staff, you're the fucking boss. Now using what actually reflects the album material as default (not saying the other tracklist doesn't belong).

Last edited by Hellacia; Dec 24, 2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:02 PM

Can someone please link this OST to a product page called Persona 4: Arena Ultimax? As of now, this OST is invisible when looking at the Persona page for the franchise.
Old May 21, 2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniros View Post
Can someone please link this OST to a product page called Persona 4: Arena Ultimax? As of now, this OST is invisible when looking at the Persona page for the franchise.
Quoting myself to see if this request gets picked up by a trusted editor. I can't see why Persona 4: Arena can have a product page, but the sequel cannot. It is quite annoying when you click on the series page and a few soundtracks (like this one) are missing due to being unlinked.
Old May 21, 2016, 10:48 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Added it. When requesting a product page to be created, it would be helpful to give a link to the official site, the logo and a place where to find info about the release dates/platforms (usually wikipedia is fine). Saves some time to whoever is creating it and there are more chances someone will pick up your request.
Old May 22, 2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illidan View Post
Added it. When requesting a product page to be created, it would be helpful to give a link to the official site, the logo and a place where to find info about the release dates/platforms (usually wikipedia is fine). Saves some time to whoever is creating it and there are more chances someone will pick up your request.
Thanks for your help. I'll do this in future requests.