VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 12, 2010, 07:53 PM

Should this count as an OST? I used to own this DVD and the soundtracks are just another option under the menus - if that does count then by extension shouldn't any anime DVD with a soundtrack menu also be listed (or any game with a sound test screen)?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:14 PM
Trusted Editor

I think it should count as OST, especially because of the title: "The Art & Music of Silent Hill". If the emphasis was only on art I would also argue against the classification, but here the emphasis is on both...
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:17 PM

Well obviously I can read the title, but it's a multimedia DVD that has a collection of art, movies, and music on it - it's not a soundtrack any more than "The Silent Hill Experience" UMD is.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 03:26 AM
Trusted Editor

What would you choose as classificaton then, if OST is not an option?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 05:07 AM

It's a material collection/data disc, just like this is -

There's no way anyone could classify that Sora no Kiseki UMD as a soundtrack just because it has a selection of SnK albums to listen to - and even if you did that would mean games like Katamari Damacy and Suikoden I & II (both PSP versions) were also soundtracks because they contain full music players within them complete with track names and shuffle options.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 07:33 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimimi View Post
It's a material collection/data disc, just like this is
No, I meant like the (internal) VGMdb content classification. The option 'data' is available there, but only selecting this doesn't do justice to the content IMHO.

I suggest we let some of the admin staff decide what do to with this one.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 07:42 AM

Well personally I don't feel it should be on the site at all - after all, if this is acceptable then it stands to reason that all other mixed media is acceptable to list too, just so long as it has the option to listen to a soundtrack on it.