VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 25, 2012, 08:44 PM

not sure that sort of "anime" has its place here for the moment
Old May 25, 2012, 08:48 PM

I'm wondering, it does have an anime counterpart, and it's basically animation with musical scores, even if this title isn't by nature japanese itself, what do you think?
Old May 25, 2012, 08:52 PM

I never wanted to submit ost for japanese version of walt disney stuff (from avex/walt disney records), so submitting original version...
Old May 25, 2012, 09:05 PM

This particular album doesn't have a japanese version, but there is an animated series in japan simply called "Stitch" and it had cds regarding this title, so, maybe it could be added because it was relative.
Old May 25, 2012, 09:29 PM

if there was a "cartoon" category, it could have its place here
because that sort of stuff isn't really animation in the sense of japan animation (leastwise I always considered animation as japanimation)
Old May 25, 2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
if there was a "cartoon" category, it could have its place here
because that sort of stuff isn't really animation in the sense of japan animation (leastwise I always considered animation as japanimation)
Wow, I didn't know that, there wasn't a specific definition to what "animation" meant, I just thought it was an umbrella term in general. like even though there are vocal albums, we just call it "original soundtrack"

Last edited by Gaiden; May 25, 2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:30 PM

As Phonograph said that is his personal opinion.

I think adding disney/pixar/etc types have been talked about before but was said to wait until a later date, especially since they were easier to in a sense do.

I would prefer to have those, and any animation/cartoon soundtrack on here. however as I stated before it was put off for now, especially since the animation section is new. However if you raise this as a questions maybe one of the higher ups may have something more to say about it.
Old May 26, 2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearin View Post
As Phonograph said that is his personal opinion.

I think adding disney/pixar/etc types have been talked about before but was said to wait until a later date, especially since they were easier to in a sense do.

I would prefer to have those, and any animation/cartoon soundtrack on here. however as I stated before it was put off for now, especially since the animation section is new. However if you raise this as a questions maybe one of the higher ups may have something more to say about it.
That sounds like a great idea, I would love to keep up to date info on stuff like this. Ithanks for both of your help.
Old May 27, 2012, 02:16 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Our tagline is "The Music of Visual Arts and Games". Our vision for Visual Arts does include all animation, so ultimately the Disney stuff will probably end up here. However, it is much too early to start adding albums in this area. We decided to open up to anime music submissions primarily because of its intersection with game music, both in terms of the fanbase and the artists. Even with this small step, the adjustment has been somewhat painful for members and staff. The anime community is enthusiastic, but does not seem to have the same history of research rigor, so it's been a challenge training new submitters, and an even deeper challenge trying to find enough staff who are comfortable moderating public submissions of anime music.

So, I think we've got a long way to go before we start working on these.
Old May 28, 2012, 02:41 AM

As a side, it seems like and I may be very wrong. That Disney would have a say handful of albums, not including copies and specials. I will say about 100, and lets say the same for Pixar, etc. Getting them out of the way may be the best bet, they are in English already so most of the users could read and edit these without huge amounts of research on how to spell the names or forced wording.

Having these be done and in the database, easily checked will allow people to use the database a bit more easily, or get new users.

However on the other hand we don't know how Disney, et al would react to having their scans on the site.

If given the okay, my advice would be start with one company and let those be added, then increase to the next, etc.
Old May 28, 2012, 02:47 AM

Quote:

However on the other hand we don't know how Disney, et al would react to having their scans on the site.

I don't think japanese publishers/distributors have been informed scans would be on this site and any agreement for those scans have been asked
Old May 28, 2012, 04:04 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
As a side, it seems like and I may be very wrong. That Disney would have a say handful of albums, not including copies and specials. I will say about 100, and lets say the same for Pixar, etc.
It wouldn't surprise me if The Lion King generated about that many releases alone, especially once you count all the separate regional releases.

Quote:
That's a good point. Though it looks like Discogs is hosting scans for Disney albums.
Old May 28, 2012, 06:50 AM
VGMdb Staff

I hope this database won't stay Japanese animation-exclusive for too long. idk, end of the world could happen before this kind of releases get accepted

That aside, while it's true it would be easier to make entries, there's a common problem of western-based "written by" formula, where there's no clear separation between composing, lyrics and arranging in quite a number of cases. It was hard when I was making an entry for the Animatrix here, so yea, a bloody pain...
Old May 31, 2012, 04:55 AM

I've also wanted to know, beyond the Disney albums, there's one for Animaniacs, PBS albums like Arthur and adult CDs like Drawn Together and South Park from Comedy Central, please tell me, how do you feel about those?
Old May 31, 2012, 03:19 PM
VGMdb Staff

Personal opinion - western animated series oriented to adult audience (South Park, Futurama, King of the Hill, Archer, The Simpsons, Family Guy etc. etc. etc.) are no different than loads of anime series that are also for more mature viewers (not speaking only about hentai series/games, of course lol).

But it's probably better to start with Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks releases only (when the time comes).
Old May 31, 2012, 03:46 PM

Ah, Okay very good, it's been bothering me for awhile and I wanted to know how you felt about it, man, I'm really hoping this works out!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 03:58 AM

Plus some of those or a new series that may have large audience of fans can make vgmdb grow a bit. a series like my little pony: friendship is magic (no soundtrack exists for this).

However I also noticed transformers (cartoon version) lack listings here.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 06:54 AM

Stan Bush in VGMdb.

*mind blown*

... wait a sec, I just remembered I have a couple of Sailor Moon albums from the US release by DiC that belong here... and they have songs by Stan Bush.

*mind reblown*
Old Jun 3, 2012, 07:15 AM
VGMdb Staff

The day when Elvis Presley gets a VGMdb page - mind disintegrated /chance #1 with this album :O

Last edited by Efendija; Jun 3, 2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:32 AM
VGMdb Staff

Breakdown added (I guess it can't hurt).
Here we got that 'written by' phrase and no possible way to distinguish roles further if there were multiple people involved.
The only exception is Jerry Leiber & Mike Stoller collaboration - it was known Leiber always wrote lyrics and Stoller wrote composition.
So, where no separation could be done, no artist was added in any of the fields (comp/arr/lyr).