VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 24, 2015, 02:46 AM

I've seen people claim that "Hot Rod" was composed by Hiroshi Kawaguchi, and "Super Masters" was composed by Tohru Nakabayashi (without providing any source). I have yet to find anything to support this myself, despite a lot of searching. Does anyone else know anything about this?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 02:06 PM
Trusted Editor

Can't say I've ever seen them two credited with those games, so unless somebody got the info directly from them/Sega, I wouldn't believe it.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 01:51 PM

Scans are up. Could someone please check if the names mentioned in the booklet is actual credits for the games.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 03:17 PM
VGMdb Administrator

People who Yosuke Okunari attributes for "music" for each game, along with other example works he lists for some of them:
  • Hot Rod: Hiro (Out Run, Fantasy Zone), N.Y (arcade Super Monaco GP)
  • Scramble Spirits: Y.K (arcade Shinobi, E-SWAT), Master a.k.a. Tohru Nakabayashi (Dunk Shot, Altered Beast)
  • Gain Ground: Dolphin a.k.a. Y.T (Golden Axe, Genesis E-SWAT), Funky K.H. a.k.a. Katsuhiro Hayashi
  • Crack Down: Y.K
  • Super Masters: Tohru Nakabayashi
  • Rough Racer: M.A, N.Y
  • Bonanza Bros.: music by M.A, sound effects by Mickey a.k.a. Koichi Namiki (Thunder Blade)
  • Dynamic C.C.: M.A

No idea who N.Y and M.A are. Since Okunari says M.A did Bonanza Bros.'s music, it seems they're Bluetz Lee, not Koichi Namiki as we have linked on other albums.

Last edited by CHz; Dec 7, 2015 at 12:02 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 04:14 PM
VGMdb Staff

But did Dolphin do all the music for Golden Axe?
Old Dec 6, 2015, 05:03 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The (parenthesized games) are just other games they worked on, there's no implication that they're fully responsible for those soundtracks. Koichi Namiki absolutely didn't do all of Thunder Blade, for example.

Tohru Nakabayashi worked on Golden Axe's sound in some way in addition to Dolphin, but I'm uncertain if it was actually for composition.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 08:22 AM

Didn't Tohru compose all of GA's tracks except "Wilderness"?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 02:55 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Not with any verification. The Golden Axe compilation album credits him as being part of the sound team, but in his comments he doesn't mention how much of the soundtrack he wrote, if any. He just talks a little bit about the sound chip and programming the instruments and sound effects.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 02:13 AM
VGMdb Staff

It's interesting to me that Okunari would mention N.Y as doing music for HOT ROD, as Hiro's Hitmaker profile lists the game with the clarification BGM一式, which I assume would mean All BGM, though I could be wrong (or even Hiro could be wrong).

For reference, the other games he clarifies BGM一式 with are PIT POT, MAGIC HOUSE and Rail Chase: The Ride.