VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:15 AM

I can't really confirm it, but according to a freedb entry Iwata did the Boss theme, as well as Stage clear, Ending and Stages 2 and 3, while Namiki did the rest. Does anyone know anything about this which could bring some light into it?

Also, I've noticed several tracklists with different translations. For example, I've seen track 4 translated as "Enough about that!", which IMHO sounds way better than "From that kind of thing!" (I've also seen track 08 as "The One Who Is Always In the Forest" and as "Like in the Innermost of the Forest"). I'd really appreciate if someone could check the track translations to get rid of possible inconsistencies.

Last edited by Kewing; Sep 3, 2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 03:04 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, there are way too many translations of this tracklist. Just looking at the first three because they are easy.

The first part of track 1 should just be "The Princess" instead of "Mushihimesama." I've seen track 2 translated as "Shinju Heading to the Forest," but "To Shinjugamori" is better because Shinjugamori is the name of an actual location in the game. You could translate that a little further into something like "To the Pearl Forest," but there are several words "shinju" and it's written in katakana so it's ambiguous about which one is actually being used. Shinjugamori is fine with me. EDIT: This is so simple I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier, but "To Shinju Forest" is the best of both worlds.

Track 3 as "Levi-Sense" sounds good. It's written with a =, but in Japanese that's used as a word separator for western names/phrases written in katakana (just like ・), so I would write it as "Levi Sense" or "Levi-Sense" instead of retaining a = like I've seen in some translations. According to this story translation Levi-Sense is apparently the life force of giant insects, so since it's not someone's name I'd go with the hyphenated version.

Last edited by CHz; Sep 3, 2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:04 PM

I think it's correct, but I have no idea what their source is. The Basiscape official website has a sample section for Mushihimesama here listing Iwata for Stage 2 and Namiki for Stage 2 and 4. Namiki's official website says he has done eight themes so Iwata did five themes by deduction. Their respective themes also represent their individual musical styles quite well.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewing Darksun View Post
I can't really confirm it, but according to a freedb entry Iwata did the Boss theme, as well as Stage clear, Ending and Stages 2 and 3, while Namiki did the rest. Does anyone know anything about this which could bring some light into it?
I don't have time to read it now, but I remember them talking about individual songs in this interview: click!

Might be of help.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 03:08 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I think track 8 should be "The Direction to the Innermost of the Forest", as the "direction/way" meaning of の方 fits better in this context. Other tracks look fine to me.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 11:23 AM

I think I saw the source being posted ... 3 or 4 years ago. It was based on Cave's event or live where Namiki attended.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:27 AM

Many thanks for your help, guys. Greatly appreciated .
Now I can finally tag my mp3s properly

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Sep 25, 2008, 01:23 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
"the Innermost of (the)"
I didn't even know "innermost" could be used as a noun until I looked it up. :P
Old Sep 30, 2008, 08:52 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Hey, did you guys know that part of "Shinju Heading to the Forest" is included in "Dynasty" from the earlier Espgaluda OST?
Old Sep 30, 2008, 01:47 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
I didn't even know "innermost" could be used as a noun until I looked it up. :P
Uh-oh. Not being a native speaker often I don't know when something doesn't "sound right", corrections to make it more natural are always welcome. I try the "google check" when I'm not sure, though...

As for Dinasty, the track is labeled with "next game image", probably it was meant to be a preview/early version of the song, I guess.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
Hey, did you guys know that part of "Shinju Heading to the Forest" is included in "Dynasty" from the earlier Espgaluda OST?
"Dynasty" was the image song for 'a next shmup game' and it became the main motive of the series.

I'm more curious why Sakimoto composed (or rather, arranged) the track exclusive to the playable demo.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 08:09 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
I think track 8 should be "The Direction to the Innermost of the Forest", as the "direction/way" meaning of の方 fits better in this context. Other tracks look fine to me.
Quote:
Uh-oh. Not being a native speaker often I don't know when something doesn't "sound right", corrections to make it more natural are always welcome. I try the "google check" when I'm not sure, though...
I've heard "innermost" used as a noun a few times, but mostly people use it as an adjective, so a more natural phrasing would be "The Direction to the Innermost Point of the Forest" or "The Direction to the Innermost Part of the Forest," something like that.

In this case, there's a common phrase "heart of the forest" meaning the same thing, so I would go with "The Direction to the Heart of the Forest" as a translation.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewing Darksun View Post
I can't really confirm it, but according to a freedb entry Iwata did the Boss theme, as well as Stage clear, Ending and Stages 2 and 3, while Namiki did the rest.
Well, I credited some tracks for Iwata, as his commentary confirms it, but I think the current note (which I edited only minimally) looks a little messy, and can misinform his responsibility is limited to them (he's rumored to compose 1-4 as well).
Old Jul 27, 2010, 03:39 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
Well, I credited some tracks for Iwata, as his commentary confirms it, but I think the current note (which I edited only minimally) looks a little messy, and can misinform his responsibility is limited to them (he's rumored to compose 1-4 as well).
Maybe I'm reading the liner notes wrong (again), but isn't Iwata pretty much saying "among my tracks, stage 2 is (...), but I did stage clear like (...) too", so the last track he did would be 04?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Maybe I'm reading the liner notes wrong (again), but isn't Iwata pretty much saying "among my tracks, stage 2 is (...), but I did stage clear like (...) too", so the last track he did would be 04?
You're right, Iwata did talk about all his five tracks! Thanks.