VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 15, 2013, 01:26 AM

very likely not. i think one should be cautious with estimation and probability assumptions without enough data (auctions, amazon marketplace etc - preferrably more than one reference) in a thread like this - i mean, how can you go from one 40$ ebay listing to a 300$ estimation. because you've never seen it besides that ebay one? only because something isn't regularly found, doesn't mean it would sell high. rarity has not always something to do with how high it would sell. does it even have high demand? that in conjunction with rarity can pump up prices. Watch Ganbare Goemon albums on Yahoo Auctions, with start price not too high. In very short time it will sky rocket in price. Because demand is coupled with low availability.
to give an example about why 300$ is, in my eyes, not too probable, here: http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/161661672
sealed cd with the artbook it came with. all for 3800yen. bids: one.

Last edited by Zethe; May 15, 2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old May 15, 2013, 11:44 AM

On the other hand $300 price tags are hardly unheard of and that itself defies logic.
Old May 19, 2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethe View Post
very likely not. i think one should be cautious with estimation and probability assumptions without enough data (auctions, amazon marketplace etc - preferrably more than one reference) in a thread like this - i mean, how can you go from one 40$ ebay listing to a 300$ estimation. because you've never seen it besides that ebay one? only because something isn't regularly found, doesn't mean it would sell high. rarity has not always something to do with how high it would sell. does it even have high demand? that in conjunction with rarity can pump up prices. Watch Ganbare Goemon albums on Yahoo Auctions, with start price not too high. In very short time it will sky rocket in price. Because demand is coupled with low availability.
to give an example about why 300$ is, in my eyes, not too probable, here: http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/161661672
sealed cd with the artbook it came with. all for 3800yen. bids: one.
Well other times that I have found it (CD alone) they have usually gone around the 100-200 dollar mark, but yes you're right otherwise. I initially intended for my "300 dollars" to be taken as a joke of sorts but clearly I didn't make my intentions of that clear. So I apologize for any misconstrued and incorrect information given.
Old May 27, 2013, 12:43 AM

Star Fox Original Soundtrack? I got mine for like $100 several years ago. And I haven't seen it listed since. Anyone have any info?
Old May 27, 2013, 01:01 AM

It starts at 50,000 yen.
Old May 27, 2013, 03:23 AM

I think he means the SNES game soundtrack. Currently sells for ~18000y at amazon.
And Suruga-ya has it listed for 9000y buy price (you sell to them, the price in that yellow box), which is an indicator for it being a relatively expensive album still. I found the coefficient to estimate street prices out of Suruga-ya's "sell-to-them" prices is often roughly 2 so:
2 × Suruga-ya ≈ Street Price.
You shouldn't depend on this, but as a first orientation, a first clue what to expect, it's not bad.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:09 PM

Shouldn't Sweet Home easily qualify for this list? Rare-as-shit 1989 CD that very seldom seems to pop up at Yahoo Japan, and when it does it's for completely ridiculous prices. There's one up on Amazon Japan for a ludicrous 30,000 yen. I'd like to get a hold of Sweet Home, but I feel hopelessness at my prospects of doing so.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 04:24 PM

felt like sharing a current list with this thread so here are some that come to mind, sorry if some of them were mentioned already:

--- usually available but expensive --- (these usually sell/list very expensive. sometimes i've seen some for considerably less than usual, in that case it's noted next to it)
(definition of expensive here = around or above 10000jpy)
A-Train 6 Original Sound Track
Akagawa Jirou Yasoukyoku -Original Sound Collection- (seen two times for around 10000jpy, apart from that only for much more)
Astronoka Original Soundtrack
BLADE MAKER ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK
Bounty Sword Ongakuhen (seen once for around 10000jpy, apart from that only seen for way above that)
Choro Q Marine Q-Boat Original Sound Collection
Cyber Doll Original Soundtracks (actually was on suruga-ya for around 7000jpy a short while ago)
Death Crimson 2 -Yuri Rosenberg-
Dokapon! Ikari no Tekken Original Sound Album
Dynamite Headdy (saw it for around 6000jpy once, either Yahoo Auctions or Amazon)
EVERGRACE Original Soundtrack (saw it for 5000jpy once on Yahoo Auctions, uncomplete i think)
Fushigi no Yume no Alice
Gakkou de Atta Kowai Hanashi S Original Sound Horror
Glory of Heracles ~ Greece Reminiscences
Glory of Heracles IV ~ Gift of the Gods (there was a copy at Yahoo Auctions that, if i remember right, sold for around 7000jpy)
Gungage Original Soundtrack (saw this for around 5000jpy once, i don't remember where)
Insector X (currently on Suruga-ya for ~8000jpy and was once on Yahoo for around 4000jpy not too long ago, but usually lists for more)
Island of the Seven Winds Story Original Soundtrack & Arrange Album
Kaeru no Ehon ~In Search of the Lost Memories~ Original Sound Track
Kokumeikan Original Soundtracks(mostly seen for way above the 10000jpy mark, but at times it popped up for around 10000jpy, never seen for less than that)
Let's Take the A-Train Z Original Sound Track (there was a copy once @ Yahoo Auctions around 5000jpy)
Maboroshi Tsukiyo Original Soundtrack
Madou Monogatari Original Sound Track
Majotachi no Nemuri Original Sound Track
Pilot ni Narou! Original Soundtrack
Sayonara no Hohoemi The Original Soundtrack
Shin Momotaro Densetsu(online only seen for way above the 10000jpy mark. according to a pal this has been available for 6300jpy in a store in Japan not too long ago)
Shutokou Battle Original Sound Track (actually seen two times for around 5000jpy)
Shutokou Battle ZERO Original Soundtrack
Silent Bomber Original Sound Track
Sound of Tower
Sword Maniac
Tantei Jinguji Saburo: Yume no Owari ni - 10th ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL ALBUM (saw this for around 5000jpy once on Amazon)
Waku Puyo Dungeon Ketteiban Original Soundtrack
WILDTRAX ~ RARE TRACKS FOR DRIVING (besides those crazy offerings it appeared here and there for around 10000jpy. there was a constant listing @ 5000jpy, which was a sample CD)
Wonder Project J ~ Mechanical Boy Pino ~ Sound Adventure
WONDER PROJECT J2 ~ Josette of Corlo Forest ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK
Zeus II Carnage Heart Original Sound Track (never seen for less than 20000jpy)

--- very rare (only seen one or two times) and expensive ---
Chaos World
Iblard ~Laputa no Kaeru Machi~ Soundtrack
Rising Zan: The Samurai Gunman Original Soundtrack

--- very rare (only seen one or two times) but decent price ---
(definition of decent = not anywhere near 10000jpy)
All Sounds of Last Armageddon
First Queen Opening IN HOUSE (cheap and appeared two times recently)
MIRAGE SUPER ARRANGE VERSION (appeared two times recently for considerably less than that one 10000jpy listing @ Yahoo Auctions)
PC-Engine Original Super Schwarzschild 1 + 2 (seen for less than 5000jpy)
Popotan BGM Collection (cheap but insanely rare)
Suki na Mono wa Suki Dakara Shouganai!! FIRST LIMIT & TARGET + NIGHT Original Sound Collection "Ciel" & "Nuit"

--- very rare, never seen myself (but partially seen by others once)---
10101 "WILL" The Starship Sound Track
Chachamaru Game Music Human Omnibus
Cyber Daisenryaku: Shutsugeki! Harukatai Original Soundtrack
DEATH BRINGER
Death Crimson History
Fire Pro Wrestling G Original Soundtrack
GAOGAO! COMPLETE COLLECTION
Les Voyageurs du Temps
Motto my Angel Drama & Soundtrack CD
Only You ~The decadent juliets~ in memoriam Sound Collection
Pinocchia no Miru Yume Original Soundtrack
PMD98 (I *think* I've seen it on Suruga-ya or Yahoo Auctions once, but to be safe I put it here)
Satomi no Nazo Original Soundtrack
Sidewinder Original Soundtrack
Sound Collection Sold Out series
sound story of Eko Eko Azarak
The Miracle Garden Original Soundtrack
THOR ~Seirei Ou Kiden~
Wonder Beagles Original Soundtrack

Last edited by Zethe; Jun 4, 2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 01:43 AM

Was "Ganbare Goemon: Neo Momoyama Bakufu no Odori" already mentioned?

the few times I've seen it in Japan or on Yahoo Auction they wanted up to 800$ for it, which is rahter crazy.

mind you I am still looking for it though
Old Jun 17, 2013, 02:09 PM

Add Racing Lagoon to the mental list. Starts at 89,000 yen used. Imagine what a new copy would fetch... if one were being sold.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:09 PM
VGMdb Advisor

^ currently being sold sealed @ 120,000 jpy (buy-now price) on YHJ:
http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g123779542

EDIT: (and another sealed on AJP @ 148,000)

Last edited by Nisto; Aug 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 05:45 AM

OP is being slowly updated. Nice list, Zethe.

I have to mull over a few of those cds you listed before I put them in the OP though.

Sound of Tower sells around 7,00 yen:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/offer-lis...condition=used

On the Shutokou Battle cds -- I have read that it's only one album that commands high prices.

Last edited by Vert1; Nov 23, 2013 at 06:01 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 06:14 AM

well yeah that list was several months ago. while you can't usually bet on it (that albums become considerably cheaper so soon), in some cases the situation has changed a bit since then yeah.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 07:25 AM

Why do the prices on certain albums (i.e. Panzer Dragoon Orta) drop so much, esp. on non-repressed albums?

Also, Fuujin Ryouiki Eretzvaju Original Soundtrack is going back on the list as those unearthed cheap copies on Amazon Japan were all snagged up:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/封神領域-エルツヴァーユ...rds=AZCA-10018

Breath of Fire Original Soundtrack Special Box should be included in the list.

Last edited by Vert1; Nov 23, 2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 08:19 AM

Don't really have an explanation either, it just seems to happen sometimes. Maybe all it needs sometimes is one guy starting with a decent price for others to follow. Like dominoes. Then, as in Eretzvaju's example, when all dominoes have fallen down we are back to how it was before.

Last edited by Zethe; Nov 23, 2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 09:26 AM

Hmm, was Orta ever worth that much? I remember it got a US release and I had many chances to pick it for up for $10 or less.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 11:10 AM

The Japanese release is worth a lot (7,800 yen). The Tokyopop version I felt lucky getting two copies for super cheap ($10 or less) at a retail store and eBay because at one point the soundtrack listing was practically non-existant and going for $80 and higher when listed (I think in 2010-2011). At one point Amazon put up cheap copies (which are all gone now) and I felt that rarity/value was imaginary (like Gungage's ost). The lowest price right now for the Tokyopop version is $40.

VGM really needs to create a marketplace/sales history for soundtracks. Wonder if putting up a section that debunks the value of inflated album prices would cause album prices to drop.

Last edited by Vert1; Nov 23, 2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 11:36 AM
Trusted Editor

2Racing Lagoon copies for sale on YHJ
- very good condition, complete with obi and card, 55,000 yen (buy it now)
http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g127050860

- new, sealed, 83,800 yen start price (84,700 yen, buy it now price)
http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g123779542
Old May 23, 2014, 12:15 PM

Default Fire Emblem Awakening OST

Those OTS's (Fire Emblem Awakening) are going up from $100+!!
Old Aug 30, 2014, 08:31 PM

WING Game Music Complete Works (WINGゲーム音楽大全集)

I've wanted to find this for ages, but it hasn't appeared even once. It was originally released by the publisher Studio WING through their website, which doesn't exist anymore. Needless to say, It's very rare.

http://www.suruga-ya.jp/product/detail/186104765001
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:21 AM

I need more price information before officially adding it to the op.

I've been thinking it over and maybe this thread is going to cause problems for collectors by bringing attention to re-sellers albums to buy. Have vgm prices inflated recently? There are barely any albums coming out now that catch my fancy, and that means I can catch up on buying older albums. Right now I am thinking of buying Eternal Arcadia before shit really hits the fan.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 01:21 PM

Another expensive album not mentioned here is Galaxy Odyssey. suruga-ya's buy price, i.e. what they'll pay you for the album, is 40,000 yen as of today. Though 4 people on vgmdb own the album, which suggests it's not ridiculously rare, further highlighting the disconnect between "expensive" and "rare."

In fact, a decent way to identify the most expensive albums is to sort suruga-ya's buy list by price. Here is a link, which shows Donkey Kong Country 2 to be the most expensive soundtrack by far:

http://www.suruga-ya.jp/search_buy?c...83%BC%E3%83%A0

As an example of a rare soundtrack which isn't expensive: there is a pressing of Final Fantasy Symphonic Suite (PSCR-5184) of which I'm the only owner on vgmdb:

http://vgmdb.net/album/39107

So the album is probably rare. But because it's a reprint - meaning the music itself isn't rare at all - the album likely wouldn't sell for very much.

Last edited by Rrolack; Nov 21, 2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 07:26 PM

In a few years of search for lots of VGM albums, I've come to find that only a handful of albums are really ridiculously rare. By ridiculously rare, I mean that you could search for a whole year and not expect to see the album on YJA or AMZ.

The ones I've found that to be true for are a haldful of Nippon Columbia albums (Dragon Tail, Famicle Parodic 2), Tokuma Japan albums (Chachamaru Game Music,
Music from Itoi Shigesato no Bass Tsuri No.1: Going to LAKE!, Teketeke! Asmik-kun World), and Telenet Japan albums (Death Bringer, XZR II).

At least from the pre-Playstation era, everything else seems reasonably-findable.

Last edited by Rrolack; Dec 7, 2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 08:48 AM
Trusted Editor

I think we have a winner ^^

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p576060863

This is so stupid. I mean, come on. $1500 for one record? Meanwhile you can get the CD version for a fracture of that price
Old Jan 26, 2019, 03:07 AM

Thumbs up

Hi, I'm somewhat new to this site,
These are some scarce and expensive albums I've come across:

Mystic Ark (comes up for sale every once in awhile, I've never seen more than one for sale at any given time and usually around 30,000 yen)
Game sound legend Chaos Seed (doesn't come up for sale often but isn't that expensive)
Bomberman hero (I've only ever seen a few for sale)
Baku Bomberman (comes up every once in awhile and is high priced)
Lennus (both the arranged and promo albums, I've never even seen the promo/sample version)
Silhouette Mirage (First print)
Diddy Kong Racing (Japanese version)
Yuke Yuke Trouble makers
Xardion

Most of this is speculation based on what I've seen.

Last edited by 112B2018; Jul 13, 2021 at 05:41 PM.
Old May 6, 2019, 06:07 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Seventh Rebirth ~Mini Soundtrack~ (Yasunori Mitsuda)

https://vgmdb.net/album/73374

There are only 200 copies out there. They were given away in a raffle during the game's promotion on Twitter to people who retweeted a particular Tweet from GungHo. By retweeting you were automatically entered into the drawing. 200 people were chosen and sent the album, as well as a letter from GungHo indicating that they had been chosen in the raffle.

You can find information about the raffle (in Japanese) on this page.

https://www.4gamer.net/games/360/G036016/20161027066/

As far as I can find, only one copy sold on Mercari for ¥3,500 at some point.

https://item.mercari.com/jp/m7233659...2yhsh3M1qI3O0R

But I can't find any record of it appearing on Yahoo Japan Auctions or anywhere else online.

As of this post, VGMDB shows one person has the album in their collection, but it's marked "private" so we can't see who has it.

Last edited by Chris Porter; May 6, 2019 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Added composer's name
Old May 6, 2019, 06:15 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

The composer only pressed 25 copies of the CD version of Heaven's Vault Official Soundtrack. They were sold from his Bandcamp page.

https://vgmdb.net/album/86016

Last edited by Chris Porter; May 6, 2019 at 06:17 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 08:53 AM

Enthusia professional racing, is another one tha hardly comes up.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 07:12 PM

Of all the albums in my collection, Evergrace was far and away the one that took me the longest to find a single copy of. I ended up buying it from someone here because I never saw it even once after several years of searching YJA and Amazon JP. The thing just doesn't seem to exist anywhere. Contrast with albums like DKC, SMRPG, or Goemon, which while crazy expensive are actually pretty easy to find.

I recently came to know about this album which seems like it would be one of the rarest out there (if it even is out there). I haven't been on the lookout for it for long, but from what I read on RPGFan, it seems it was only given to employees at Origin. Dunno if it was already brought up here. The album title also makes it a real bitch to search for.

Last edited by Aifread; Jun 26, 2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 07:31 PM

that origin album looks cool!