VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 11, 2021, 08:48 AM

The current track lengths seem to be copied from the digital, unmixed (separate tracks) version.

Music Forest lists different durations for the DJ-mixed CD:
https://search.minc.or.jp/product/li...-title&match=2
Old Nov 13, 2021, 09:03 AM
VGMdb Staff

@yindesu You can change the track lengths by using the Edit button next to the tracklist.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 10:16 PM

The reason I didn't submit the track lengths is because I thought the usual Japanese retailers that carry track lengths on CDs were using the digital release's track lengths for this entry. I just checked Tower and Yodobashi and it seems to be different than I remember. So maybe it was a different entry in the 20+ release series that I'm thinking of.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 01:22 AM
VGMdb Staff

It's unlikely that retailers have lengths other than those from the CD for any recent(ish), general-release CD.

As far as I can work out the track time submission works like this:
1. Initially the values are sourced manually from the label, so might not necessarily match the CD. Often they tend to be a few seconds shorter than the actual CD track, I guess because many companies are internally storing lengths without the CD gaps.
2. These initial lengths are later overwritten by lengths from the CD. Sometimes this coincides with the addition of samples, so I think that the sample audio is always obtained from the CD and these supersede the track times submitted earlier.

I use a script to keep track of changes to upcoming albums on retailers, so I've spotted this change happening several times.

This also means that albums don't that get samples (like enclosures) never get their lengths corrected. For example, Aniplex is one of the companies that manually submits lengths without gaps and as a result the track lengths on their enclosures are basically always wrong. In contrast, any general-release Aniplex CD will have correct lengths on retailers due to the presence of samples.

Last edited by nstz; Nov 14, 2021 at 01:28 AM.