VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 19, 2008, 07:24 AM

Mmmm.....
We got two "disc3"s in the gallery and the booklet is obviously not complet...
Let me see what can be done...

EDIT:I checked my collection and found that what I got was a "sample" CD set .
Are scans of sample CDs allowed here?

Last edited by Cypher; Aug 19, 2008 at 08:19 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 05:47 AM
VGMdb Advisor

In this interview, Masaru Shiina said that the soundtrack was improved for the album release. As this album don't represent the actual original soundtrack, it wouldn't be more accurate add "Arrangement" or even remove "Original Soundtrack" in classification?
http://www.cocoebiz.com/report/cna/cnasan01_en.html

Quote:
Kimura: So, is that why some tracks in the "Tales of Legendia Original Soundtrack" sound different from how they do in-game?
Shiina: Yeah. I restored some parts which I'd removed from the tracks in the game.
Ezaki: You improve them for the soundtracks.
Shiina: Yes, but it often annoys the fans.

Last edited by Revoc; Apr 11, 2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 05:58 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I guess it depends just how different it sounds from the original. I think a certain amount of difference is sometimes expected, such as the inclusion of unused tracks or the presence of some remastering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
EDIT:I checked my collection and found that what I got was a "sample" CD set .
Are scans of sample CDs allowed here?
Oops, never noticed this question. I think Sample sets would be allowed, but you should label the caption with a "Sample - " so that it is clear what they are.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 06:15 AM

One thing I really don't understand about that interview is why the fact some tracks (such as the battle themes) were sequenced in the game but orchestrated in the soundtrack is totally neglected and he explained all the difference as a matter of mastering/mixing or collision between voice and music... was he really not aware of it as he had had no involvement in the in-game implementation? Or just a slip of the tongue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoc View Post
As this album don't represent the actual original soundtrack, it wouldn't be more accurate add "Arrangement" or even remove "Original Soundtrack" in classification?
I know it's just a word game, but if a composer made their music but eventually had to deteriorate it due to the console constraint, isn't the former still 'the original soundtrack'? Not sure if this was also the case with Legendia though. If Legendia isn't called an original soundtrack, some camerot albums, some Sakimoto albums (Sword Maniac and FFXII) and some Square Enix albums (FFIII DS and FFIVDS) aren't, either, since they represent their own in-game music far less than Legendia. Not to mention there are many case where the in-game soundtracks were upgrated when they were released as official soundtracks.

EDIT: Now almost a year has passed, I disagree with my old stance (it's BS).

Last edited by Cedille; Feb 18, 2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
was he really not aware of it as he had had no involvement in the in-game implementation?
Shiina never was involved in any sequenced soundtrack, with ToL's battle themes being the sole exception. Wouldn't be surprised if the battle themes were converted to sequences due to technical necessities and Shiina didn't want to be involved at all (like Sakimoto with FFXII). Unfortunately the in-game credits I saw so far don't really help finding out who else did it (only sound related staff credited beside Shiina are sound programmer Yoshitaka Watanabe and battle sound effect designers Kouji Nakagawa and Tomomitsu Kaneko, game seems not to have sound effects outside the battles I guess *shrugs*).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
I know it's just a word game, but if a composer made their music but eventually had to deteriorate it due to the console constraint, isn't the former still 'the original soundtrack'? Not sure if this was also the case with Legendia though. If Legendia isn't called an original soundtrack, some camerot albums, some Sakimoto albums (Sword Maniac and FFXII) and some Square Enix albums (FFIII DS and FFIVDS) aren't, either, since they represent their own in-game music far less than Legendia. Not to mention there are many case where the in-game soundtracks were upgrated when they were released as official soundtracks.
It's an interesting issue to say the least. In my opinion such cases always warrant a note. Whether it affects the status as 'original soundtrack' I don't dare to decide. (Even though I already marked the ToP, ToD and ToE soundtracks as arranged by unrelated people since there the difference from the in-game sound were that huge I couldn't left the "original" status with a straight face. I'm still undecided about Valkyrie Profile DS, were some hired person ported the music from VP1 verbatim while Sakuraba, uninvolved in the sound design, actually arranged those tracks on the "ost".)