VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:45 AM

So, according to the Revo thread (thanks nextday!), ryo will work on Bravely Second.

I'm confused by the stuff I'm finding on youtube... it seems to be all pop songs. Has this person actually done any actual anime or game scoring? Perhaps a fan could link to some examples, as I'm having no luck.

I'll be honest: I think it's a shame Square didn't hire Ryuji Sasai for these games. If the producer, Asano, really wants fantasy rock, and the project has the budget for so much live recording, there is no more perfect choice than Sasai. It would sound like a cross between Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest and Saga 3, but live. How would that not be awesome?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 02:41 PM
VGMdb Staff

He's pretty much like Revo, a younger pop/rock producer with only a little anime/game scoring experience. I'm guessing the producer for this series is a fan of the bands Sound Horizon (Revo) and supercell (ryo) like myself. Though I do wonder what the producer is thinking considering ryo has never produced anything remotely fantasy-rock styled. The music for Bravely Second is not going be like Bravely Default, I can tell you that.

ryo started out as a vocaloid producer and quickly became well known for many hit pop/rock songs. He's still the most famous vocaloid producer today, though he is no longer active as one. He's known for his piano/strings based style and strong upbeat instrumentals. His most well known song would definitely be Black Rock Shooter (inst only) which has spawned a TV anime, an OVA, a couple games, and a manga (really). In 2010 he scored the music for the OVA, which is his only score to date. In addition to the electronic/rock tracks like Battle of BRS there were some more pleasing tracks such as Kakeru, BRS Theme 1 and BRS Theme 2. He's also done a couple instrumental tracks for other works like the Theme of Cencoroll (an electronic track that really could have been more developed) or the trailer music for anime film Nerawareta Gakuen. He's much more known these days for his band supercell, which he writes all the music and lyrics for. Their most famous song is Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari which was the ending theme for the popular anime Bakemonogatari. More recently he's been experimenting with a couple different projects like his new band EGOIST (Namae no Nai Kaibutsu) as well as producing pop songs for singer Tia (Heart Realize).

I feel like his more recent work hasn't been nearly as strong as his earlier vocaloid and supercell works but big projects tend to bring out the best in composers. We'll see. Hopefully he'll have some talented arrangers behind him as well.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 03:56 PM

Thank you for the detailed information nextday. It will be interesting to hear what he comes up with.

EDIT: I've sampled the BRS Animation score, and he's certainly a competent arranger.

Last edited by Jormungand; Jul 30, 2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 06:28 PM
VGMdb Staff

He does most of the arrangement himself but has someone else assist him when there's strings or brass involved. So if he's going to produce anything orchestral for Bravely Second, he will certainly need some help. Michiyo Kimura is his usual collaborator.

Last edited by cal; Jul 30, 2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 02:04 PM

Ah, I see. I guess the BRS Animation notes are a little misleading then? ryo is credited for music and arrangement on most of it. Well, there's this:
Quote:
Assisted by Watatu Namifusa (MIXER'S LAB), Ryo Kanai (VICTOR STUDIO), Takamitsu Kuwano (VICTOR STUDIO), Yoshikazu

Nagai (Azabu O Studio), Mary Shinohara (Azabu O Studio), Raiga Yamazaki (form THE MASTER)
...but that's pretty vague.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 08:02 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Michiyo Kimura did all the strings arrangements for the BRS OVA, it's in the track-by-track notes.

That list is for the assistant recording engineers, I think.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
I feel like his more recent work hasn't been nearly as strong as his earlier vocaloid and supercell works but big projects tend to bring out the best in composers. We'll see. Hopefully he'll have some talented arrangers behind him as well.
https://youtu.be/ASuLyXfko5g