VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 31, 2020, 12:08 AM
VGMdb Staff

I think the title for this should be swapped around, as PACHISLOT MOUJUUOU was used during the short time the album was available on western stores (and can still be seen on KKbox, where it seems to still available for streaming. Pachislot Mou Juoh should then be there so it can be found when searching using the proper title. Same goes for the Hokuto No Ken albums.

Weirdly enough the Anohana album does separate words in its title, but still less than usual at PACHISLOT ANOHI MITA HANANO NAMAEWO BOKUTACHIWA MADA SHIRANAI., so the same should be done for it.

Also, all these particular pachislot releases use fully
capitalized titles, as well as all caps on kanji translations in their tracklists.

I also want to ask a question: Where are those catalog numbers displayed? I didn't find them on any of the store pages.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 07:49 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I don't see why we should use all caps, iTunes english translations are really bad.
Don't forget that we should always use what is printed in covers first.
Since it's all Japanese, we'll use romaji.

We can keep store titles as alternates titles of course.

Also, the particular title "猛獣王" have been discussed before: sammy is using Juoh and not Jyu-Oh or Juuou.

It seems the cat number entered was taken from the mora.jp URL.
I have no idea how right/official is that cat number.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 08:13 AM
VGMdb Staff

The "iTunes english translations are really bad" argument doesn't hold weight when these translations were also used on Amazon, Google Play and Deezer. Not to mention that iTunes often automatically replaces All Caps with more normalized capitalizations, but they didn't in this weird instance, so the typical reason for iTunes translations being bad doesn't apply.

Disclaiming the fact that I have not seen every album documented on the site, I have never seen an instance where the cover took priority over the store display title in the case of digital-only albums. I assumed this was due to it substituting for the title typically printed on a spine, which I took to be considered the de facto "Display Title".

Yes, these are poor romanizations that conflict with the romanizations typically employed for these products, but they were still officially used by these specific albums. As far as I'm aware, it is not our job to correct the publisher's errors or stylistic choices, it is to account for discrepencies these choices cause when users search for information regarding the albums.

Also, I'm well aware of the Juoh issue, I'm in that thread.