VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Oct 28, 2011, 08:06 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I scanned the spine and added it, since that's where you'll find the "Limited Edition" notation.

Yes, I am that anal about scans. Hurray for completionism!
Old Oct 28, 2011, 09:06 AM

Yeah baby! Add that spine! Add that registration card! Add that back of the obi that's really just white! - Okay, that's taking it too far I guess...
Old Oct 29, 2011, 07:28 AM
VGMdb Advisor

all-white obi backs. I gotta remember to start adding those. :P
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:34 AM

I'm in an OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) dilemma.

This is the situation. I have two copies of the same soundtrack, that of course being the Final Fantasy VIII Original Soundtrack (First Print Limited Edition).

The first copy is as mint a condition as it can be. I've bought it multiple times so I would know. In other words:
  • The exterior has minimal crushing or any other kind of physical damage.
  • The exterior also has minimal cosmetic imperfections (usually there might be a few spots of dirt or something similar).
  • The internal CD trays are as white as it can possibly be for a soundtrack as old as this. Usually there would be some degree of yellowing, even more so for pre-PS1 soundtracks.
  • The CDs are in mint condition with no scratches or marks. Though the label side has a few or some spots from some unknown source. These "spots" are also common to this soundtrack.
  • Most significant of all, the CD trays are still naturally glued to the case (as far as I know at least). It is very common for this soundtrack to have 1 or more loose trays due to the glue coming off.

The second copy is a sealed copy and includes the yellow sticker on the top right of the front. But:
  • The exterior is slightly more crushed in the spine corners (bad), cosmetically, it's about the same (makes sense, the shrinkwrap stops any contact).
  • From what I can see, the CD trays look whiter than the unsealed copy (good).
  • The soundtrack has one loose tray (bad). Since it is sealed, I can't go and fix it.
  • The plastic shrinkwrap is a bit ripped (bad).
  • The condition of the discs are unconfirmed. Sure, since the soundtrack is still sealed, we can assume that the discs are in perfect condition but that's all we can really do: assume. How would I know some liquid, gas/vapour, or other chemical didn't seep its way onto the discs? How would I know there aren't big ugly splotches of... stuff on the discs? This is the "Schrodinger's Cat in a Box" of the game/game music world. This is the..."Uematsu's Disc(s) in a Shrinkwrap" Paradox (apologies if my analogy is completely unsuitable in this scenario due to my very superficial and brief (2 minute Google) understanding of the aforementioned cat)

Anyway, the question is, assuming that you could only keep one (sealed) or the other (unsealed), which would you choose? The devil you know or the devil you don't?

I'm leaning towards the sealed one but the knowledge that the CD tray is loose and unfixable will forever be engraved in my mind.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:15 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I know generally, sealed = more valuable.

But were I in your shoes I'd keep the unsealed.

Or maybe just hold both... :P
Old Sep 24, 2013, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layzee View Post
Anyway, the question is, assuming that you could only keep one (sealed) or the other (unsealed), which would you choose? The devil you know or the devil you don't?
If it was my decision, I would open the sealed copy and create some kind of best-of-both-worlds hybrid The remaining set will still sell (eventually), as the majority of potential buyers out there probably don't care about the imperfections that would give us nightmares.

I've been through a few copies of this one myself because of the disc label discolouration thing.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 05:51 AM

I've decided to keep the sealed copy, despite the loose disc tray. I'm sort of going to miss my "as mint as it can possibly get" unsealed copy, that which itself was a hybrid of past multiple copies.

I could keep both but for a reason(s) (not necessarily financial) that I can't seem to place my finger on, I just can't do it. I have to get rid of one.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 05:10 PM

Hi All,

I have a question regarding this limited release. I recently purchased a copy, then returned it for various reasons regarding its claimed quality. However, when I ordered another copy, there was something slightly different about it that I hadn't noticed with the other one. In this instance, the clear plastic inner circle of the CDs all say "Sample" in all caps and orange lettering. Can anyone explain this? I know it's not a bootleg, as it has the official catalog number and is consistent with the posted images, so why would this variation happen?

Any information would be very much appreciated.

Best,

Alex
Old Dec 13, 2013, 02:57 PM

Hey agw36, you got your hands on a preview copy, as you noticed it's 100% similar to retail copies except for the "sample" mention on the CDs inner ring.
They're made early in the process to verify that conception/manufacturing is ok (typos, printing quality, logos, labels, copyright dates etc), and are sometimes sent to journalists for review.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 06:13 AM

Hi Alcahest,

Interesting. I had no idea that there would be preview copies in the FF music world, but it makes complete sense (even though there are still so many releases out there with silly typos). Thank you very much for sharing this information!

~Alex