VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > News and Announcements
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 6, 2010, 02:05 PM

How can I see if an album is from animations or games in any album page? I can see the green colour while searching but in the album page there is nothing that can help me to get the answer, unless I go to edit an album and then I see the video/animation classification. Perhaps change the colour of the Commercial word to green colour, but that would be a total mess with original works which is blue? I wonder if that classification will be visible to users somehow.

Reference: http://vgmdb.net/album/14511

Last edited by Metroid; Jan 6, 2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 02:08 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I think there are going to be tags for the album pages (kind of like the event tags).
Old Jan 6, 2010, 02:17 PM

Thanks Secret for the quick answer, yes I hope we will have something that shows the album classification to users.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 06:33 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I'm still not sure about the entirety of what "Independent" will cover. If you buy an album directly from Nintendo, is that an Independent release because they are self-distributing?
Since the field is "publisher type", and Nintendo is a commercial entity, it would be a Commercial release.

Also, I lowered the priority for Independent releases when it comes to color coding, so it will not override the category. They'll only show as blue now if they are uncategorized.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 06:54 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Given that, I should set Okami Retro Version back to Commercial.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 06:54 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
Instead of "Use the western convention of First Name followed by Surname." I would recommend "Use the western convention of Given Name followed by Family Name."
Done!

Quote:
What about Staff Notes? The textboxes to edit them are gone, but the notes are still showing up on albums. I know the staff notes are no longer needed due to the forum thread integration, but what should be done with the existing text?
I'll eventually dump them out somewhere so staff can work them into the discussion threads if needed.

Quote:
Can we have a page to explain all of the release types, classifications, and categories? I don't know what "Publications" are or some of the other things.
I'll probably write up some descriptions soon, but "publication" refers to any printed material such as magazines, books and comics. (There are numerous albums in the database that are "image" soundtracks for publications).

Quote:
"Publisher type" and "Distribution type" sound good, but "Classification" and "Category" sound a bit generic. Why not something like "Audio type" and "Product -or- Source type"?
How about "Content Type" and "Product Type"?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 08:54 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Bonus feature!

Put "SCDC-65" in the catalog number field on the submit new album page and press tab.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 09:07 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Whoa, that's cool. This will help prevent some dupes, and guide people to correct their formats.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:09 AM

Nice.

No more double entries.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 08:52 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
How about "Content Type" and "Product Type"?
That sounds good to me. And thanks for putting up with my other suggestions too. ;}

Also, that duplicate finder message is wicked awesome.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 06:28 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I wonder if live-action movies and films should have their own category, just so that they won't show up in the animation results -- not that we're going to have a lot of them in here (nor do we want to encourage it beyond improving some discographies.)
Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:29 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I wonder if live-action movies and films should have their own category, just so that they won't show up in the animation results -- not that we're going to have a lot of them in here (nor do we want to encourage it beyond improving some discographies.)
How would we handle the films that combine live action with animation? It's uncommon but I figured it's worth mentioning.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 02:56 AM

I'd additionally like an own category for TV dramas/series. Or maybe it could be combined as life-action Film/Series?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 03:58 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
How would we handle the films that combine live action with animation? It's uncommon but I figured it's worth mentioning.
Categories are multi-selection, so you could just select both categories.

A live-action category could be useful for separating Tokusatsu from animation, too. We have a few of those albums.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 04:32 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I was thinking about this issue ... I wonder if the creation of a specific category for video could confuse the users when they add new albums. I don't know if eventually some people might add albums unrelated to games and animes, especially if we consider the change of VGMdb to "Visual Arts". Visual Arts also includes videos I guess. My point is that I also think that this kind of albums (tokusatsus, movies soundtracks etc.) should only be in the database to complement the discographies of composers.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:20 PM
VGMdb Administrator

In that case, we should categorize movies with "no category," just like other works.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 06:52 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I was thinking while browsing the calendar, what about giving the drama and drama+enclosure categories their own colors? They get a bit on the way right now and there is quite a number of them in the db already.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
I was thinking while browsing the calendar, what about giving the drama and drama+enclosure categories their own colors? They get a bit on the way right now and there is quite a number of them in the db already.
I have to agree. Maybe the old Video / Animation category color could work for this.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 07:53 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I am not agree.. Drama is a genre.. if you are going to differentiate these, you'll have to differentiate Arrange albums, Vocal albums too.. etc
Old Jan 17, 2010, 08:33 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Well, I understand your reasonings and I too don't think every category needs a new color nor result pages should be cluttered, but I feel the contents of drama cds are not often related to music and having a way to tell them apart while browsing the site would help. If "original work" gets its own color surely drama can, too.

It doesn't need to be a new color I guess (though I'd prefer that). Maybe some tiny icon or character appended after the name/catalog number/etc. Kind of like the child album icons but subtler, or any other way really.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 08:46 AM
VGMdb Administrator

There's "drama" in classification and "radio/drama" in category. The former is to indicate the presence of drama tracks while the latter identifies albums related to a drama franchise, i.e. it separates original drama or radio albums from, say, dramatizations of game content (in that case it would belong to the 'game' category).

It'd be easy to color-code albums which have only the drama classification with the same color as Drama category albums (which is grey, by the way), so the question becomes, would anyone object to lumping these types together?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 09:31 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
[...]

It'd be easy to color-code albums which have only the drama classification with the same color as Drama category albums (which is grey, by the way), so the question becomes, would anyone object to lumping these types together?
That is actually what I thought Dag was referring to, and what I would think shouldn't be a problem to do.

As Dag said, drama-only albums aren't usually music related, so it would be nice to differentiate them from the rest. Granted, most drama albums have "Drama" on the title, but even still...

Just my 2ยข.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 09:40 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Yes, that'd be what I mean. Just to be sure here is what I understand from all this:
- Drama *and* nothing else (main classification) + game/radio-drama/whatever (sub-classification) = grey (ex.- Tales Drama CDs, albums with only drama tracks) [right now in blue/yellow/etc]
- Anything+Drama (more than one in main classification) + anything (sub classificacion) = blue/yellow/etc (ie.- not grey) (ex.- Tales of Legendia, albums with some drama tracks together with music) [like it is now]
- Drama (anything?) (main classification) + radio-drama (sub classification) = grey (ex.- ?) [like it is now, I guess]

That'd be perfect imo. I was mostly refering to the first example as it seems to be the most common. Though I'm not sure if gray should override yellow/other Release Type colors.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 09:47 AM

If it's enclosed/promo, I believe its color should remain yellow. I think.

But yeah, Giga's proposition sounds perfect.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:26 AM

I'm not quite sure I see the point of separating 'doujin' and 'independent' releases. The two amount to the same thing, independent releases. Yes, the distinction being made is that 'independent releases' are by commercial artists whereas doujin releases are by amateurs and this is often true, but it's not unheard of for commercial artists to release doujin albums (or tracks on a doujin album.)
Old Jan 17, 2010, 02:17 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Usually the word "Drama" in the title helps me filter out the drama albums.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of a new color designation for the drama albums. When we give them their own color code, we lose the ability to tell (while skimming visually) whether they are from a game, anime, or other source. Keep in mind that anime fans are probably more likely to want to see the drama albums while browsing album lists.

If it's all about filtering out albums without true VGM BGM content, then I'd request adding anything classified as vocal to that list, because very few vocals are appealing to me.

Another alternative would be to handle this through content filtering, just like we'll be doing for VGM vs Anime contexts.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 03:53 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Well... maybe I'm impatient, because I click before fully read :P ("cool, another BlazBlue alb*clicks* aargh drama"). Vocals at least have unique music so I really don't mind them, but drama cds get in the way. I would see it like "grey = 'no-music' color, avoid".

As for telling them apart from anime albums, right now there are few anime drama cds, though I guess it'll grow as time goes. Maybe the drama color should be applied only if it's drama+game? (a bit too particular though)

Or a possible alternative is to add a filter submenu like in the "search results" page with a drama classification to the calendar, albums, updates pages and so on (now that I think, that'd be great too even without the drama filter, no more doujin in the calendar... :P).
Not a big deal though, I just think it would help (me, at least), no problem if you guys don't agree.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 06:47 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRA View Post
I'm not quite sure I see the point of separating 'doujin' and 'independent' releases. The two amount to the same thing, independent releases. Yes, the distinction being made is that 'independent releases' are by commercial artists whereas doujin releases are by amateurs and this is often true, but it's not unheard of for commercial artists to release doujin albums (or tracks on a doujin album.)
The distinction is there, which is why the "independent" type exists -- although to be more exact, "doujin" implies "not in professional capacity" (rather than "not professional"). Think about it -- if a freelancer releases a mini-album through his/her own website, can you really call the publisher type "doujin" or "commercial"?

I've added some extra clarification to the submission instructions.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
The distinction is there, which is why the "independent" type exists -- although to be more exact, "doujin" implies "not in professional capacity" (rather than "not professional"). Think about it -- if a freelancer releases a mini-album through his/her own website, can you really call the publisher type "doujin" or "commercial"?
There's a distinction, but they're still both independent releases which doujin/indie would/did cover perfectly well. Whether one can afford to print more than another is rather insignificant. The added category only serves to add confusion, should circles/labels like HARDCORE TANO*C (who sell their more recent stuff through Amazon) and IOSYS (who are able to distribute their stuff through their own online store) now be considered independent?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 08:50 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Like I said, it's not a question of distribution, it's a question of professional and non-professional capacity. Doujin circles and labels belong in the doujin publisher type, the same as before.

Remember, it's the publisher type field now, not release type. If you need an even simpler way to distinguish the releases, artists who release professional work under their own name are "Independent" publishers. Otherwise they're labeled as "commercial" or "doujin" accordingly. (Yes, this implies the "Independent" type will apply mostly to western artists -- but I have a feeling that will change over the years.)

All I've done is separate the "Doujin" and "Indie" type -- and this is after feedback from an artist.