VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 31, 2020, 10:09 AM

Default Final Fantasy VII Remake OST listening party -- Live on Twitch this Thursday, June 4!

watch replay on Twitch!
watch replay on Youtube!

This is an idea that's been stewing for a while, and I'm finally making it happen!

I will be hosting a "listening party" for the hotly-received FF7 Remake OST this Thursday, June 4, at 7:00 PM CDT.

This is as much of a response to the current state of the world than wanting to talk about VGM. I'm a teacher, so 99% of my online, live video sessions over the last two and a half months have been highly focused and highly structured. This "listening party" is much more relaxed, giving me the breather I need while also letting me gush about VGM. A few notes about how it will go:
  • We will go through each track, one-by-one, in order!
  • Sorry--but spoilers will inevitably come up. I've just beaten the game this past week so I know the flow of the scenario. If it comes up I will give warnings!! But chat, please be gentle.
  • The actual music volume via stream will obviously be very low... gotta keep it legal. I invite you listen along with me!
  • After each track, we chat and do some light (or heavy...?) analysis... I have no idea how deep this rabbit hole will go, and that's part of the fun!
  • I will be opening some tracks in Audacity to get a better listen to certain parts, those will be amped in volume a little (small clips shouldn't be an issue)
  • What I talk about won't be tailored with a specific audience in mind... there will be some technical music talk, but it won't turn into a lecture (...hopefully...)
  • I'm also 100% going to answer your questions in chat! They can be as technical or general as you like, I'll do my best to answer. We're a friendly stream
  • This goes both ways, I might have questions I don't know the answers to... I know how most of the music fits the game, for example, but I know I won't remember all of it!
  • Family-friendly (barring anything specific about FF7's scenario)
  • Probably will last about two hours or more depending on how much I can stand. Obviously this is not even close to enough time to get through the whole OST... this party will be stretched over multiple sessions!!
  • I realize the 7:00 CDT time is not very friendly to anywhere outside the Americas, it's the best I could do with my own work schedule... but fear not, I plan to do international-friendly streams on the weekends, and certainly more in the summer (since I'm obviously not going to be teaching summer school...)

And now a few notes about the channel in general:
  • This channel will continue to be a place where I host live discussions and analysis of VGM
  • ^the above includes listening parties, composer-focused sessions (e.g. "The History of Nobuo Uematsu" or something), VGM composition/production/arrangement/orchestration, genre-focused sessions (e.g., all JRPG music, all orchestral music, etc.), soundtrack composer credit breakdown discussion, and many more.
  • The shape of the stream will continue to evolve... I'll host some polls about time and content preferences
  • Everything will be output to Youtube so if you can't make the stream you can watch it later

The Twitch channel can be found here. I will be making attempts to beautify it over the next few weeks... maybe...

I hope to see you all there!!

Last edited by Jormungand; Jun 5, 2020 at 04:26 AM.
Old May 31, 2020, 01:49 PM

Fantastic idea Jormungand! Wish I could join but for me it will be 1 in the morning on a day I have to go to work :/
Old Jun 4, 2020, 04:17 AM

Just a reminder... we are live this evening at 7:00 PM CDT!! Hope to see you there.

Part 2 will probably occur on Sunday at 1:00 PM CDT.

Last edited by Jormungand; Jun 4, 2020 at 04:25 AM.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 03:57 PM

watch replay on Twitch!
watch replay on Youtube!

Last edited by Jormungand; Jun 5, 2020 at 04:26 AM.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 04:33 AM

Fantastic! We got through the first stream. I talked a lot.

For new streams, from now on, I will begin a new topic and just continue replying to that one if mods are OK with that.

One major worry I have is the volume of the music!! When I tested it the volume seemed reasonable, but replaying the video it seems a bit loud. The concern is getting slapped with a copyright claim. On Twitch it's no big deal, as it auto-mutes the sections--but that video is temporary. On Youtube of course it could either get flagged (and nothing happens) OR it gets outright deleted.

Again, I'm talking over the music and skipping around in it so it's not like the music is playing uninterrupted... still, I will probably turn the volume down next time!

Anyway, super thanks to anyone who joined or who views later!

Link to the spreadsheet I started to just collect data and little notes.

Last edited by Jormungand; Jun 5, 2020 at 04:46 AM.