VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 12, 2020, 11:37 PM

Default [FInal Fantasy IV/V/VI] Original Sound Versions or the Remastered Versions?

I was curious to know which versions people recommend, based on the comments I've read it would seem that differences between V & VI are barely noticeable with the remastered version of IV being the only one that's objectively superior as it adds loops and features a handful of jingles that weren't included on the original release.

Even if the differences on the V & VI remasters are minor would you say that they're at least a minor improvement or are they completely inconsequential? The only notable thing I've read is that the remasters are slightly louder.
I'm on the fence about which versions to seek out, typically I'd go with the OSV, but considering that the Remaster of IV is apparently superior to the OSV it might make more sense to just get the complete remastered set.

Though I am somewhat paranoid about purchasing a faulty copy of IV's remaster since it was initially released with an issue on the second disc.
I imagine that most of the faulty copies have been taken out of circulation by now, but it doesn't appear that it's still available through any of the places which were guaranteed to have the correct version such as CDJapan, hence my worry.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 01:31 AM

As I understand it, all these "remasters" are less about actually improving sound quality and more about Square ending its deal with NTT Publishing and pushing their own record label. I'm guessing there's some kind of legal agreement preventing them from using the same exact recordings so they made them all louder and called it good. The only ones that are actually different are FFIV as you said, and Romancing SaGa 2, which separated the prologue and the battle theme which were previously one track. Then there's the revival discs, which are a pointless cash grab unless you're into the blu-ray format

Last edited by Aifread; Jul 13, 2020 at 07:07 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 02:50 PM

The revival discs are simply Blu-ray formats of the 2014 remasters, for what that's worth.

Truthfully, unless you really care about extended loops for IV (or the jingles, I guess), it's all inconsequential. I like the liner notes and packaging of the 2014 remasters more than original releases or the revival discs, but they sound virtually identical.

I don't honestly think V or VI sound any louder than the originals, for that matter.

Last edited by CrackerG; Jul 13, 2020 at 03:29 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
I'm guessing there's some kind of legal agreement preventing them from using the same exact recordings so they made them all louder and called it good.
Unfortunately, I've been having trouble trying to locate any of the remastered tracks online to listen to, so I haven't been able to do any side-by-side comparisons, but I've read some people saying that they're a little bit louder and others saying that they don't hear any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
Then there's the revival discs, which are a pointless cash grab unless you're into the blu-ray format
Do you by chance know if that applies to the Xenogears revival disc as well?

Last edited by BlazingAbyss; Jul 13, 2020 at 10:12 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 10:36 PM

All of the revival discs are the same spiel: it's a Blu-ray format of the OST, with some bonus tracks where your mileage will vary.

If you're looking for a mastering comparison, I'd check the Xenogears revival disc thread. I own it, but I also don't own the CD release and know people said the Blu-ray audio mastering itself was done pretty poorly. I don't know if this applies to the included mp3s as well, but it's not going to be better than the original release.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 12:47 AM

FFIV should be a no-brainer - get the remaster version for the more standard two loops and full tracklist. I think the chances of getting the faulty track now are slim to none if you buy new. Then, if I was in your position, I'd get the FFV and FFVI remaster version counterparts for matching packaging. If completeness is important, it might not be so easy to get the first press slipcases for these anymore, especially without running the risk of getting the faulty FFIV.

While the blu-rays are by no means an audio upgrade, they're not a downgrade either so are a perfectly viable option for first purchase if you also want to be able to see memorable clips from the games while you listen.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 02:26 AM

Yeah, I was considering going with the remastered versions of V & VI if I decided to go with the remaster of IV mainly due to the matching packaging as it would look a little odd when placed together otherwise.
As for the slipcases, I suppose it be nice to have them, but not having them isn't really a deal breaker for me either.

Slightly off topic, but would you by chance know if there's a general consensus regarding the remastered versions of Vagrant Story and Valkyrie Profile's soundtracks when compared to the originals?
I've seen some controversy over the Vagrant Story one in a few places, but from what I could tell it seemed like more people preferred the original release. As for Valkyrie Profile I haven't been able to find much discussion regarding it, but I've read that it is slightly different.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 12:47 AM

The lack of consensus with Vagrant Story is probably due to the fact both versions have their upsides and downsides. I'm one of the ones who prefer the original, because it has that PlayStation reverb on it that makes it sound like it did when I played the game. The remaster is more dry, so you can hear more of the instrument detail but for me it loses something of its charm. It has also been made louder with dynamic compression, hardly ever a good move. The perfect VS soundtrack would lie somewhere between the two.

I can't comment on the Valkyrie Profile reissue since I've only heard the original, but I'd be curious to know too. The original certainly has some problems with tracks distorting on disc 2.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 10:20 PM

I was looking around for more opinions on the remastered albums and came across two opposing views on VI's remaster. While most people claim that it sounds the same a review on RPGFan stated "the sound is as crystal clear as my ears can hear and lacks any George Lucas-esque tampering with the mix or sounds." On the opposite end of the spectrum someone on an old thread from soundtrackcentral seemed to have a very negative view of it, claiming that tracks such as Battle 1 were less "bright" than they the were in the original release and that it sounded like it had Noise Reduction filter.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 11:04 AM

For Final Fantasy IV I would DEFINITELY seek out the remaster.

The original release was always a no-go for me, mostly because "The Prelude" fades out long before the loop point is reached.

As for V and VI I really doubt there's much of a difference. I was always happy with the original releases here.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 05:00 PM

the only track I prefer offhand on the original IV is "Red Wings" because it doesn't have a stupid fade out like the remaster does. Otherwise, I think the remaster is a noted improvement.