VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 17, 2015, 07:15 AM

Default Marketplace Deadbeats

I was wondering if site admins could do anything about certain users who list items for sale and then never respond to any kind of messages. I would certainly like to block members from my marketplace, namely droves of "Negotiable" sellers like Otaku.com.

Basically, I and maybe others are having a real problem with user Lackadasical. User has many items for sale but will not respond to my inquiries. I've noticed he's logged on a handful of times, seemingly ignores messages.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 09:48 AM

Some users like DevilREI and Mik have not logged in for a couple of years. I've tried sending them messages, and it never worked. I also messaged KOHTA, although he's been logging in mostly, he never read my message about a soundtrack for sale. Notice other users that have items for sale haven't logged in for a few years. You'll see a notice in green about the user absent over the list of items for sale, although the notice should've been in red.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XISMZERO View Post
I was wondering if site admins could do anything about certain users who list items for sale and then never respond to any kind of messages. I would certainly like to block members from my marketplace, namely droves of "Negotiable" sellers like Otaku.com.

Basically, I and maybe others are having a real problem with user Lackadasical. User has many items for sale but will not respond to my inquiries. I've noticed he's logged on a handful of times, seemingly ignores messages.
If you go to Otaku.com(their website) directly, you'll see the prices mentioned.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:21 AM

I guess the best solution would be to only show offers by people that have been active within, let's say, the last month and have answered PMs in that time if they have received some.

Also I think "negotiable" should be completely removed. Everything is negotiable anyway, using "negotiable" is just a cop out from clearly defining wanted/expected prices in that sense and I feel it has been abused as such here.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
Also I think "negotiable" should be completely removed. Everything is negotiable anyway, using "negotiable" is just a cop out from clearly defining wanted/expected prices in that sense and I feel it has been abused as such here.
Yes, this. Quoted for emphasis.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 06:56 AM
Trusted Editor

Ever asked yourself why his username is lackadaisical?

I've had some transactions with him in the past but yeah, he hasn't responded lately. I'd also be interested in some stuff he has for sale.

Apart from this I think it would be a good idea to automatically remove sales offers from users who haven't logged in for let's say a year.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicider View Post
Ever asked yourself why his username is lackadaisical?

I've had some transactions with him in the past but yeah, he hasn't responded lately. I'd also be interested in some stuff he has for sale.

Apart from this I think it would be a good idea to automatically remove sales offers from users who haven't logged in for let's say a year.
You've had this dilemma too as me!
Old Nov 1, 2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyrali View Post
Yeah! Can't blame you! I've PM'd him many times too!
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:54 PM

Or just change the system to make it easier to add an album and its price at the same time...
Old Feb 18, 2015, 02:19 AM

For what it's worth I've just recently had a positive experience buying from Lackadaisical.
He does reply to PMs. Just be patient. He's a little lazy sometimes.

My personal irritation is when a seller refuses a sale on the grounds of international shipping being too great of a risk. I don't really get what the major concern is. It's a global marketplace here after all.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 09:42 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Unfortunately, I think only 3 people have any ability to modify the marketplace code: Gigablah, Secret Squirrel, and one other. I'm not sure how often they read the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqveak View Post
My personal irritation is when a seller refuses a sale on the grounds of international shipping being too great of a risk. I don't really get what the major concern is. It's a global marketplace here after all.
I believe the main problem is the lack of cheap shipment tracking. There are some countries where there is a high rate of parcel getting lost or stolen. There are also some buyers who aren't honest. Both result in sellers getting cheated.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:53 AM

I agree with removing sale items that have been up for a long period of time or the user is no longer active. As for the "negotiable" part I think it's down to seller discretion what they choose to do with their listings.
It's not hurting anybody that the seller wishes to be approached with offers and from personal experience, if you're listing 20-50 items, it's rather boring sitting there and typing out individual prices for everything, especially as most of the time people aren't really interested in purchases.
As for people not responding to or ignoring their PMs, that is their choice and there is nothing anyone can do about it.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriol View Post
Unfortunately, I think only 3 people have any ability to modify the marketplace code: Gigablah, Secret Squirrel, and one other. I'm not sure how often they read the forums.

I believe the main problem is the lack of cheap shipment tracking. There are some countries where there is a high rate of parcel getting lost or stolen. There are also some buyers who aren't honest. Both result in sellers getting cheated.
I don't believe there has been any fraudulent activity in this marketplace, but if you ever sense it, report it to the VGMDB staff and ic3.gov.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriol View Post

Now I'm starting to wonder if the last album I bought from Miker got lost. Don't know about that. Miker hasn't got back with the tracking number after his last response.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 08:25 AM

It seems like this site isn't giving users that were not logged in for a long while some notifications. No user has ever received any.
Old May 4, 2017, 07:36 AM

Great! Now Loogs hasn't logged in for 14 days! I asked him about an OST and and wanted to know about the price. Now there are more users putting some CD's for sale and just let them go.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 05:55 AM

There Rlockhart goes again. He logged in several days ago. I asked him about a soundtrack on his sale list.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 06:23 AM
VGMdb Administrator

We already have a warning on the album's collection page if a user hasn't logged in for a month or more. We don't put that info in the main marketplace browse page though, and maybe we should. I wouldn't be opposed to hiding old entries from the browser, but there are some users who don't log, but who have email-notification when they receive a PM. (Still, seems unlikely that sale offers that have been posted for years are still available.)

I'm not sure that we can do anything about whether they haven't answered any PMs, as that would be hard to check.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Still, seems unlikely that sale offers that have been posted for years are still available.
Make every offer have a time of expiry (like e.g. one month after posting) and hide it after that. If the offer is still available after that the seller can reactivate it.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 09:25 PM

The whole marketplace needs a complete purge. It's a wasteland right now.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishX View Post
The whole marketplace needs a complete purge. It's a wasteland right now.
Yeah! what's wrong with several users, including rlockhart who just lets it go after a few days?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 04:49 AM

I disagree that it's "unlikely that sale offers that have been posted for years are still available". Sure some people may go to eBay or whatever but there's hardly that many outlets to sell these. I've had stuff on my list for years, but that hardly has anything to do with me being active here (and hell, someone logging in a lot doesn't even mean they check their sale list)
Old Aug 30, 2015, 07:46 AM

Also PM'd phatboy76 about a soundtrack. He hasn't got back to me. Hopefully he will.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 07:01 PM

I wonder what's taking so long with the_miker? I sent him a payment for a soundtrack on his sale list, and I don't know what's taking him so long.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 07:11 PM

miker's a good seller. I can def vouch for him.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Please do!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 07:44 AM

Maybe some of the users including recent users who have posted some stuff for sale never got e-mail notifications. Miker was took care of that, though.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XISMZERO View Post

Yeah! I've been noticing problems with miker too. I bought from him once. Can't he respond to me, now that I sent a payment for a soundtrack. Now he dosen't seem to care about it.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:20 AM

Sometimes sellers don't respond to me, but most of the time they do. The fact that they can state negotiable prices gives me the freedom to make offers based on current market prices.