VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > News and Announcements
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 8, 2008, 08:38 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Default New Feature: Marketplace Open for Testing

To bring together VGM buyers and sellers, we've implemented some new tools and placed them up for testing. You may have already noticed that the Show Collection page for each album was completely revamped, and that a new item called "My Marketplace" has appeared in the main menu.

Wish List
The wish list is a list of albums that you are searching for. To add an album to your wish list, select "Add to My Wish List" from the album's page. Once the album is in your wish list, you can edit its attributes from the Manage Wish List page under My Marketplace. You can edit the following attributes, all of which are completely optional:
  • Price - The price you are willing to pay for the album. When this is set to 0, the default is 'negotiable.'
  • Price Type - Sets the regional currency.
  • Notes - Enter any additional information that you'd like a seller to see.

Sell List
The wish list is a list of albums that you are selling. To add an album to your sell list, the album must already be in your Collection. Under Manage my Albums, there is a new option 'Add to Sell List' that adds the album to your sell list Once the album is there, you can edit its attributes from the Manage Sell List page under My Marketplace. You can edit the following attributes, all of which are completely optional:
  • Price - The price you are willing to pay for the album. When this is set to 0, the default is 'negotiable.'
  • Price Type - Sets the regional currency.
  • Notes - Enter any additional information that you'd like a buyer to see, such as condition, or whether the album is missing any key components (like Obi).

There are a number of things that'll be coming in the future, most notably some capability to browse and search Wish/Sell lists, some more relevant fields, ability to export to csv/excel, tighter integration with the userprofiles, some style and layout improvements (the marketplace pages are pretty rough right now), and any number of good suggestions that you all think up. In the meantime, please test things out, and give any feedback here.

Note also that I'm not actually selling the albums that I placed in my Sell List; they were just for test & show. My wish list is much more real.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 01:33 AM

Pretty cool feature. I am not a big collector outside the digital realm, but good to see nevertheless.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 04:03 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Oh this is awesome news!

I hope though that people won't list these huge digital copies lists so you add up to 2000 albums since now it's actually kinda relevant. Everything else on these site is legit so our collection lists should be aswell
Old Mar 9, 2008, 04:34 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumu View Post
Oh this is awesome news!

I hope though that people won't list these huge digital copies lists so you add up to 2000 albums since now it's actually kinda relevant. Everything else on these site is legit so our collection lists should be aswell
That's why I added the foldername on the show collections section. If an album is in a folder called something like "CD Originals I own", then you know they have it, but if it's in "Favorites", it may not be.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 05:30 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Oops, I just realized that I'd forgotten to unrestrict the option to add to your sell list. It should work now.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 05:42 AM

Working excellent so far, good job guys! I'm sure you're gonna add it soon but just in case, one other feature I'd love with this is the ability for a "show my matches" button or something. Basically sending you to a page that shows you either a list of albums you want and other people have for sale, or albums you have (in your collection, not necessarily for sale) and other people want.

FYI, my sale and want lists are both very real.

-Mike
Old Mar 9, 2008, 06:02 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Cool new feature! I'll be certain to try it out, having a few for sale/wanted albums in mind.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 06:49 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I like the "show matches" idea, so that'll definitely be incorported in time.

Also, I've improved the navigation a little bit, and added a link to send a PM.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 04:19 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Since the lists are getting populated pretty quickly, I added the browser for both wish and sell lists. It works pretty much the same way as browse albums, except that you can also sort by username, in addition to album name and catalog number. Go ahead and test it out, and let me know if there are any issues.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 09:59 PM

Damn this feature just keeps getting better. Very functional and smooth; an awesome addition to the site, thanks guys~
Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:45 PM

Cool! What a treat to come home to! Great (speedy) work, guys! I'll be checking into using this more and referring some friends to it as well.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 06:34 AM

This is one awesome feature which makes the site even better if possible. It's not like I'll be using it that much as I don't collect originals so frequently (money...) but it's good to know there's another place where you can look for, and I'm sure some people will use it quite actively.
One little suggestion: I think it'd be nice a "browse all" page for both the sell and wish list when you want to have a quick glimpse aat what people look for/offer

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Mar 10, 2008, 06:45 AM

This is a fantastic feature - very easy to use and useful too! Definitely going to use it to beef up my VGM collection.

Just to add as others have done - all the VGM I list in my folders is 100% bone-fide genuine physical CDs.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 09:09 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Awesome feature really.

Just a question/suggestion:

Do you plan to add something to make a feedback or a report on a successfull trade? Or a rating system for sellers.. or something to warn about / list bootlegers.. ?
Old Mar 11, 2008, 03:02 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

This is a great feature. Too bad I already got rid of the soundtracks that I didn't want for now. :P
Old Mar 11, 2008, 04:38 PM
VGMdb Administrator

No one mentioned that I'd accidentally broken the manage panel a couple of days ago. Maybe that's why every CD submitted since then is "Negotiable." Anyway, it should work for everyone now, so you can edit your price and notes fields, and remove albums. Let me know if there's any problems.

Also, I just added a notification panel near the top of the marketplace page. It shows up and lets you know if another seller has albums you want, or if there's someone who has one of the albums you're selling on their wantlist. Stylewise, it's nothing fancy.

We'll have to decide what additional features to add. The single-page display would be a nice addition for the browser. As for feedback, coming up with a system that makes sense is the key. I don't think we would want to manage a system of numerical feedback for sellers/buyers, but a "feedback" page with comments might make more sense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image.JPG (87.3 KB, 3 views)
Old Mar 12, 2008, 07:36 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Great added feature for selling albums, I'll put a few on sale soon and try it out!
Old Mar 13, 2008, 07:03 AM

Awesome new feature.

I second some sort of system related to seller feedback.

I also wish that either 1. people would use the notes section to mention what shape their soundtrack is in, or 2. there were some field specifically for what shape it's in.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 05:56 PM

Here's an idea: What about putting a little box on the right panel of each album page that contains info on the album's marketplace status? (Perhaps fitting below Covers and above Related Albums.) If I'm browsing an album and I notice that it is for sale from User X, I'm going to be more likely to buy it. This would increase marketplace activity.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 06:32 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I pondered putting something on the album page indicating whether there were any copies of the album for sale, but something about it doesn't sit right with me philosophically. I think the album's main page needs to remain purely informational, rather than as a conduit to promote someone's sale. I hope you can see what I'm saying, because I do want VGMdb to provide the tools for connecting sellers and buyers, but the album page should remain sacred.

We went with something simple initially, but we might want to think about what we want to do with "condition." I'm really a big fan of the simplicity of just having the notes field, but I think some may want to have several fields.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 06:43 PM

Yeah, I suppose that does make sense. Have you thought about even a small icon that would indicate marketplace options are available, and the user can click that to see the marketplace album on a separate page?
Old Mar 14, 2008, 05:37 AM
VGMdb Administrator

In that case, it'd be better to remove the collection and wishlist sections in album pages from guest viewing, if we want to stick to that philosophy. (It'll be slightly less taxing on the database, too.)

Logging in is an implicit agreement to participate in the member-only features, so I don't see why we can't throw up some marketplace indicators alongside the collection and wishlist fields. In short: hide those three stats from guests, and show them all for logged in members. How's that sound?
Old Mar 14, 2008, 06:04 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I don't know. I don't want the collection/wishlist stuff to be completely invisible to the guest because it's a great attraction for the site, and it's nice having the link right there so he can go to the album's collections page if he wants.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 04:14 PM
VGMdb Staff

I think the 'notifications' field that's in place now in the marketplace should be sufficient. And like SS, I'd rather not see the album pages being cluttered with too much non-factual information. And in this case the field in question would never be used on like 90% of all entries anyway.

On another note, I wouldn't mind seeing the 'browse albums for sale/wanted albums' lists having an option to view all applicable entries on one page.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 04:25 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Does anyone really care for the browse at all, or should I completely replace it with the single-page list? I'll add the list either way...

EDIT -- We've already got 358 on the wishlist, so maybe we need the browse.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 05:29 PM
VGMdb Staff

Yeah, I was gonna suggest we get rid of the browse altogether at first, but seeing the amount on want is so high already it might get to hot to handle with only one page. Important thing is that the single-page option is there.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 01:04 AM

I'd welcome single page as an option, that way if you don't want it you just don't click on it, right?
Old Mar 16, 2008, 11:05 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Okay, single page browsing has been implemented. You can get to it by clicking "all" on the letter navigation bar. It works within the same browsing engine, so you can still sort by username or cat number while browsing the full list. I might add the price field to the sort, if people start using it more.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 05:11 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Secret,
Do you and Gigablah have plans to make the marketplace searchable with more filters? For example, I would iike to see people who want to buy/trade official soundtracks and not see the other release types.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 06:42 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I hadn't thought about that, but if people are interested, more things could be added. The one thing I didn't really want to do was duplicate the entire search functionality in the marketplace. A more elegant solution might be to add the ability to restrict the advanced search to show results that are for sale or on want lists.