VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:06 PM

I added better composition credits. "CATS" (who did tracks 53, 54, and 57 from Bokujou Monogatari: Harvest Moon/Harvest Moon: Back to Nature and Bokujou Monogatari: Harvest Moon For Girl) is the pseudonym of Miyuki Homareda. Tracks 55 and 56 (from Bokujou Monogatari 3: Heart ni Hi o Tsukete/Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland) are by a group called "Manual of Errors Artists Inc.", which consists/consisted of Kimitaka Matsumae, Hitomi Shimizu, Gary-Ashiya, and Suguru Yamaguchi. Tracks 49~52 (from Bokujou Monogatari/Harvest Moon and Bokujou Monogatari 2/Harvest Moon 64) are by Tsuyoshi Tanaka (pseudonym CHACKey).

All this information (the composer names, that is) is from the staff rolls of the various games, and the CHACKey/Tsuyoshi Tanaka connection was verified by the composer himself.

Last edited by Redfield; Nov 25, 2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 02:36 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I just want to give you a big thank you for finding out all of this information.

I don't know how to confirm the edits and make all this stuff happen. But we need to get artist profiles set up for Miyuki Homareda and Tsuyoshi Tanaka. Because across the three Harvest Moon CDs that exist, we have varying names listed for each. We have CATS here, but we list Miyuki Homareda from the Absord Music Japan release. Can anyone take care of this?

Last edited by Ramza; Nov 25, 2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 03:01 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Does anyone have the kanji names? I stuck with the credited names for the album page, but the real name is used on the artist page.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 05:23 PM

I only have the Kanji for CHACKey/Tsuyoshi Tanaka: 田中剛.

Also, I don't believe any of the composers I've mentioned were credited on the album, or in the game since the tracks they composed were lifted from older Harvest Moon games and arranged by (I presume) Nakajima Dai. So, you can credit CATS and CHACKey with their real names. With CHACKey, you can go either way: he seems to prefer to go by CHACKey, but he's been credited as Tsuyoshi Tanaka in a few games (he was credited as CHACKey in Harvest Moon, but as Tsuyoshi Tanaka in Harvest Moon 64). I generally just refer to him using his pseudonym. I don't recall if Miyuki Homareda was credited as CATS in the staff roll of Back to Nature (I'm pretty sure they used her real name, though), but I do recall her being referred to as "CATS" on the official soundtrack page that VIS put up almost a decade ago. My opinion is that, for this album, they should be credited with their real names. I don't know if there's any special label for uncredited people, but if there is, they most likely should be listed under that category.

Last edited by Redfield; Nov 26, 2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 01:50 AM

I made a correction -- it's "Gary Ashiya" (ゲイリー葦屋), no dash (I don't know why I didn't notice this).

I've noticed some confusion elsewhere regarding the composition credits for Save the Homeland. The PSF2 rip (of Save the Homeland) credits "CATS" as the composer, which is, of course, incorrect. I've checked the (Japanese) staff roll for Save the Homeland, and it lists Kimitaka Matsumae, Hitomi Shimizu, Gary Ashiya, and Suguru Yamaguchi as the composers. So, I'm 100% sure on this. Just figured I'd mention this for posterity. I've also checked the staff roll for Back to Nature, and the composer is credited as Miyuki Homareda, not CATS, so her real name should probably be used here on the album page, as well.

Should I include in the notes area what games the tracks are from and what songs they're arrangements of, or is this superfluous?
Old Nov 26, 2009, 04:41 AM
VGMdb Administrator

That's good info to have, so I'd include it.

We don't have any way to mark who's actually credited, but it might be something that is added in the future.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
That's good info to have, so I'd include it.
All right, I'll do that. How should I format it in the notes? Something like this?

Quote:
Track Title (#)
Composed by: Artist
Usage in original game/track title: Text
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
We don't have any way to mark who's actually credited, but it might be something that is added in the future.
I see. I thought that uncredited people had their names colored different, but I guess I was mistaken.

Last edited by Redfield; Nov 26, 2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 05:29 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfield View Post
I see. I thought that uncredited people had their names colored different, but I guess I was mistaken.
I think I misunderstood. I thought by uncredited, you just meant they weren't mentioned in the liner notes. We do use the "featured on" marker, which changes the link color to blue, and indicates that the composer's work was used without attribution. Mostly we use it for doujins, and for old classical composers. I probably wouldn't use it in this case because, while they didn't compose for this game per se, they did compose for the series, and I think that earns them full billing.

We don't have anything standardized for the track-game usage, so I think what you have there is good.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 03:46 AM

Just got a copy of this and it's a treasure trove of missing information. I can't get good photos at the moment, but once I do I'll add them as proof of all these changes I'm making. For now I've added the original Japanese tracklist, fixed some issues with the English one (see below) and added credits.

Guitarist for "Gustafa Live" 本多 高士 could be this guy: https://vgmdb.net/artist/24530
Producer 和田 康宏 is very likely this guy: https://twitter.com/yasuhiro_wada
Mastering engineer 京極 和士 is very likely this guy: https://vgmdb.net/artist/13415
No idea about the rest. Maybe someone more knowledgeable about Marvelous (or better at googling) can help.

Translation notes:

09 Excited Pounding -> Heart-Pounding Excitement - The original here was... uh... yeah.
17 Great Sadness -> Sad Grant - グラート isn't "great." It's the Japanese name for a character named Grant in the English version.
19 Great Joy -> Joyful Grant - See above.
20 Jongara Song - No change here. Jongara seems to refer to a type of song sung in the tsugaru dialect.
28 Garfan's Blue Bar -> Griffin Blue - ガーファン's English name is Griffin. I kept the wording the same as the Japanese because I think it still works in English.
30 Keseran and Pasaran -> Kassey and Patrick - More localized name changes.
38 Gari and Nina's Love -> Galen and Nina's Love - And again.
39 Tsurutan In A Good Mood -> Tartan in a Good Mood
40 Tsurutan Feels So-So -> Tartan Feels So-So
41 Tsurutan -> Tartan
42 Colobockle Mystery Theme -> Koro-Pok-Guru Mystery Theme. Koro-pok-guru are a race of tiny people in Ainu folklore.
44 Tei's Mitemi Inn -> ???? - A little lost on this one. The original is みてみテイ. テイ is a character called Tim in English, but I'm not sure what the rest of the title is supposed to be. Possibly a play on 見て見て ("Look, look!"). I'll leave it as Tim's Inn for now
48 Happy · Fun -> Happy · Fun - Guessing this one was a typo.
51 Flower Buds of Autumn -> Autumn of Flower Buds - The original is 花の芽の秋, not 秋の花の芽.

Last edited by Aifread; Jan 23, 2020 at 11:01 PM.