VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Saitama Saisyu Heiki (also known as S.S.H.)S.S.H)
Well... we're both correct, although I'd say S.S.H. is more (or at least, just as) correct since:

-He refers to himself that way in his profile page: http://ssh.ne.jp/file/profile.htm
-In his latest .mp3s (released in November, 2008), it's tagged that way too. http://www.ssh.ne.jp/mp3/far.zip and http://www.ssh.ne.jp/mp3/far_inst.mp3 (Nice songs, BTW)

Although I do realise it's "S.S.H" on his front main page and some of his past official soundtracks.

And I guess now would be a good time to add S.S.H. to the list of aliases.
Old May 13, 2010, 05:43 AM

Are you guys sure it's good to have the name romanized as Saitama Saisyu Heiki? I mean, two things that don't quite do it for me:
1) The Hepburn way is how we usually see things written, and it would be more for the random fella that doesn't know any Japanese since that's how it's pronounced instead of going into grammar.
2) In any case there is a long 'u', and it should definitely be reflected in spelling. There is a difference in a vowel length, with completely meanings between words of different vowel length.

I came here for a list of their works and tried searching with 'Saitama Saishuu Heiki'. Nothing. I figured the second 'u' might be cut, so I tried the same without it. Still nothing. I had to search with 'S.S.H.' to finally get a hit, and even then it wasn't the main entry. Granted, I checked Deceitful wings and Red Lucifer rising, and it was indeed spelled as 'Saisyu', but so have I seen Mr. Sugiyama's name been spelled at least in five different ways. Talk about consistency. Searching with 'Saisyu' would've been one of my last choices, even after Japanese studies in a university. It's just not right.

'Saitama Saishuu Heiki' should be at least an alias, if not the first choice.
Old May 13, 2010, 05:46 AM
VGMdb Administrator

We always default to an official Romanization if one exists. On the official S.S.H page, they use Saisyu.

You make a good point about Saitama Saishuu Heiki not being searchable, so I'll add that to the variations.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:49 AM

Regarding the contents of the "Red Lucifer Rising" booklet...

It says that if you go to the salburg.com website, and enter the password "HHDLR" in the questionnaire page (while filling it out and sending it), you will receive an unreleased mp3 (along with desktop wallpapers).

This album is 6-7 years old now and I'm sure that the main page of the website has change a bit since then (I can't find any relevant page/form to type the password in) plus I doubt that they would still be interested in hearing feedback for a product as old as that.

Does anyone have the mp3 that they can send to me? Preferably untouched/unmodified whether it's the tags or the file itself. Please send me a PM.

EDIT: Request no longer needed.

Last edited by layzee; Mar 1, 2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 04:12 AM

Hi guys,

hope this is the right forum for my question, I'm new here
Can anyone of you definitely explain me, how the copyright and redestributing situation with SSH's music is?
He apparently allows you to download his music for free on the official site (http://www.ssh.ne.jp/index.php/mp3), but what about the music which is older than 2012? It does not seem to be listed there. Is ist possible to download that music legally as well and if yes, where do you find it? Or is it possible to buy any of his music and if yes, where?

I'd be very glad if one of you could help me with this,
greetings and thanks, XRayStar
Old Apr 17, 2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRayStar View Post
He apparently allows you to download his music for free on the official site (http://www.ssh.ne.jp/index.php/mp3),
It's not quite what you were asking about but if you or anyone was wondering, as far as S.S.H. and vgmdb goes, I'm guessing the main reason why many of his non-album music does not appear on this site is because they are single isolated tracks that are not "packaged" into an album or presented as an album, and vgmdb only deals with cataloging albums. This applies to any artist who uploads single non-album tracks on their website or wherever.

One of his most recent online download only music (Blast From The Past), available on the same webpage as his single .mp3s, only differ in the sense that there were multiple .mp3s in the same compressed archive and given an album name. That warrants an inclusion into the database, while the other music does not.

Anyway, to your questions:

Quote:
Can anyone of you definitely explain me, how the copyright and redestributing situation with SSH's music is?

but what about the music which is older than 2012?

It does not seem to be listed there.
For policy about his free music, see here: http://www.ssh.ne.jp/index.php/about

It's in Japanese of course but basically (anyone who's Japanese is better than mine, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), regarding any music that he used to provide for free prior to 2012, distribution of those are forbidden. Any .mp3 he has now on his webpage are counted as 2012 works. Though the URL is the same, he completely changed the structure and appearance of his website at the beginning of 2012, and all the .mp3s on his old website (i.e. pre-2012 works) are no longer available.

His reasoning is that the music he created 10 years ago sounds quite a bit different from the music he created recently. My guess is that he prefers people to (commercially?) recognise and associate him for his recent music, not his older creations. Think of it as a musical portfolio I guess, you want to promote your latest works.

As for his policy about redistribution of his recent .mp3s (2012 and later), he would prefer you to contact him by e-mail for permission before sharing it around (or whatever else you plan to do with the .mp3s). As long as you include the text file (in every archive, there is an .mp3 and accompanying .txt file) and as long as it is non-commercial, he probably won't refuse your request (to do whatever you plan to do with his music).

Quote:
Is ist possible to download that music legally as well and if yes, where do you find it? Or is it possible to buy any of his music and if yes, where?
With the above in mind, evidently the situation is that it is not possible to buy or legally download his pre-2012 music.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:17 PM

Dōjin (同人) literally means "(by the) same person", idiomatically means self-published/created. How can self-published mean fan at the same time? For an instance, the old YouTube Fred by Lucas Cruikshank videos were technically self-published, but since self-published means fan at the same time, does it mean that Lucas Cruikshank is his own fan?

I'm saying this because that's the logic I get from this line:
S.S.H. (Saitama Saisyu/Saishuu Heiki) is a game music doujin (fan) arranger turned professional...

He might have been a self-published fan arranger, but that doesn't mean that only fans of something can be self-published and that self-published can't be original. This logic erases the lines between fan-made and self-published completely. Although the lines might be thin, they're in there.

By the way, how come some fan arranges and arrangers are not dōjin? Under your logic, they should be under that category as well.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 04:48 AM

I'm starting a S.S.H. project. See here for more information: http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?p=71510