VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 22, 2010, 07:47 AM

This is a Japanese album, so why is there USD for the price?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 08:25 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

It's fixed, thanks.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 07:45 PM

Any chance for some liner notes for this and the rest of the Vs. Series?

...Please?
Old Nov 28, 2010, 02:56 PM

Not sure of any liner notes but i will put out an un-official breakdown.

01 OPENING YUKO
02 PLAYER SELECT YUKO
03 VS. MASATO
04 THEME of WAR MACHINE MASATO
05 THEME of CAPTAIN AMERICA ?
06 THEME of HULK YUKO
07 HURRY UP YUKO
08 WIN MASATO
09 THEME of WOLVERINE YUKO
10 THEME of GAMBIT ?
11 THEME of SPIDER-MAN ?
12 THEME of VENOM MASATO
13 HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER 0:061:
14 RANKING YUKO
15 VARIABLE CROSS MASATO
16 THEME of RYU YUKO
17 THEME of CAPTAIN COMMANDO YUKO
18 THEME of CHUN-LI MASATO
19 THEME of JIN YUKO
20 THEME of ZANGIEF YUKO
21 CONTINUE MASATO
22 GAME OVER ?
23 THEME of STRIDER HIRYU YUKO
24 THEME of MORRIGAN MASATO
25 THEME of ROCKMAN YUKO
26 THEME of ROLL YUKO
27 THEME of HIDDEN CHARACTER YUKO
28 BOSS INTRODUCTION YUKO
29 THEME of ONSLAUGHT I YUKO
30 THEME of ONSLAUGHT II YUKO

Just a few, wasn't in the mood to do all. lol
Old Nov 28, 2010, 04:07 PM

I just want to say that "Staff Roll" is quite possibly my top favourite VGM tunes of all time. Utter perfection.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 03:13 AM

currently listening to it. wow, no kidding. that's ace.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 05:18 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Where does the composer breakdown come from on this album?
Old Dec 26, 2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Where does the composer breakdown come from on this album?
Since the in-game credits are "Composed & Arranged," I put tabs on any compositions previously known: Takayuki and Yuki come from Marvel Super Heroes and Puzzle Fighter series titles; Yuki, Yuko from X-Men vs. Street Fighter; Yoko from SFII; and the rest from various Rockman titles. Yuko and Masato, aside from their own original compositions in this game, will be the only arrangers here.

Don't worry, though. I did this for this and other albums in preparation for depa cleaning house soon. You'll see a far more accurate credit list put up shortly, I assure you.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Dec 27, 2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 03:05 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Until we get some cool scans (wink wink), from the depts of the ancient Capcom Sound Team page (Cyber Channel) I found this:

M VS C
- Yuko Takehara: Strider arrange, Rockman arrange, Wolverine, Opening Demo

Also:

M VS SF:
- Yuki Iwai: Zangief midi arrange (performed by her younger brother, plays tenor sax)
- Yuko Takehara: Apocalypse, Dhalsim, Sakura(?)

In some other page about M VS SF one of the composers said they choose to do Ryu+Ken or Cyclops+Wolverine by... rock-scissors-paper (joke, but who knows).

Last edited by Dag; Jan 11, 2011 at 06:12 AM.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 05:02 PM

I just keep looking more and more right as i look in to this stuff more, don't i? LOL Yay!

Also, yay for that younger picture of Yuko! Looks like she must have had a tan in that recent pic of her. lol I can't put my finger on who, but she really reminds me of someone here.

Now someone find syun and i'll be complete!!!

I could tell quite clearly that yuko did Wolverine's theme, now i can guarantee you with a 100% certainty that Yuko did both of Onslaught's themes and Captain Commando's theme. I would actually bet money on that. lol

Last edited by HarukameiKasumo; Jan 6, 2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 07:41 AM
VGMdb Advisor

^^ Ok here (also) is Syun (+13 years ago...)
Old Jan 10, 2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
Until we get some cool scans (wink wink), from the depts of the ancient Capcom Sound Team page (Cyber Channel) I found this:

M VS C
- Yuko Takehara: Strider, Rockman, Wolverine arranges, Opening Demo
-Opening Demo [Opening] extends to Player Select, VS., Hurry Up, Win, Here Comes a New Challenger, Ranking, Variable Cross, Continue, Game Over, and Staff Roll thanks to the "main theme effect"
-Strider extends to his ending, Jin, Hidden Character, Onslaught's 3 themes, the miscellaneous ending themes (via Tension and Grief) and through the others extend to Captain Commando [After the Battle] Chun-Li and Roll (and her endings) [Peace]
-Rockman extends to his endings, Zangief, and Ryu and his ending
-While I agree with Wolverine sounding like Yuko, that also means that composition was originally Kouda's, as I suspected for the Marvel group. Furthermore, one of their ending themes is Morrigan's, which is ironic considering she's the odd one out in the Capcom Group. The rest must be Kouda's, then

Quote:
Also:

M VS SF:
- Yuki Iwai: Zangief midi arrange

In some other page about M VS SF one of the composers said they choose to do Ryu+Ken or Cyclops+Wolverine by... rock-scissors-paper (joke, but who knows).
-Iwai handling the MIDI Arrange means Takehara composed Zangief, just as with Wolverine above
-Dhalsim extends to his endings
-Sakura sounds a LOT like Dan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R39TtEEojlk [at 0:21]), who in turn has one part almost exactly the same as Ryu's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmc9MRU1EZk [at 0:35]). Therefore, Dan, Ryu, and Ken and their endings are all Takehara's
-Apocalypse extends to Gouki/Akuma and his ending as well as Chun-Li, who in turns extends to Vega/Bison
-Apocalypse also extends to all the themes attributable to the "main theme effect;" therefore they are all Takehara's
-Iwai must definitely have the Marvel characters, then

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Mar 18, 2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 05:33 PM

Hate to be rude, but this is impossible, the whole thing about yuki having marvel and yuko having capcom.

First of all, if Yuko did Ryu's theme in MSHvSF then that only proves she did Storm's theme from XvSF(more proof is, well, listen to Slashman's theme from RM7), and seeing their distinctive similarities with Wolverine's and Cyclops' theme in that game, then she did those too. Wolverine's theme in XvS has similarities with the MvC theme, yuki had no involvement in that, so how is this possible? NTM the beats and percussion are also something i notice that's distinctive with yuko, Wolverine's theme in MvC has yuko written all over it, i don't think Masato is that similar to her anyway. Another thing about wolverine's theme in XvS is it definiely has the same composer as Nash's theme from XvS, if one was assigned to one company, how could one cross over for one song, NTM seeing how Yuko made the original, i would suspect she redid it for that one. Also, listen to Cyclops's theme in MSH vs SF, Captain Commando's theme shares one melody with it, NTM bares an uncanny resemblance to Nash's theme. This means in MSH vs SF Cyclops's theme was from yuko, i always suspected so because listen to the constant hat tap, that's one of yuko's trademark percussions. Also, why do many of these end with the ride? Almost every yuko song does that. Also note Onslaught's theme has Yuko written all over it, definitely sounds along the lines of captain commando's theme, which shows the same composer. It also sounds quite a bit like Rockman 7 to me, which had yuko on the soundtrack, masato was not involved with that game, NTM it resembles Rose's SFZ1 ending theme a bit, it has that same atmosphere about it.

As for Yuki, i can definitely say that she was responsible for Zangief's theme in MSHvSF due to sharing similarities with certain SFZ3 themes. She definitley also did Lord Vega's theme, some parts in there remind me of Wolverine's theme from MSH, also from yuki. But i can definitely say yuki was responsible for Wolverine's theme from MvS.

I can not speak for masato, though, he is a bit obscure to me, not really familliar with his work.

I am not sure what it means by wolverine arranges, though, i don't know where an arrangement of his theme can be found, i guess it means the version for this game or something? I suspect they call it an arrangement? I don't know.

BTW, Dag, thanks for the Syun pic, sorry, i keep forgetting to say something. lol But i have to say i wasn't too far off when i first tried imagining him. I would ask for some other from you but i don't want to be a burden or anything, so i'll let you go.

Last edited by HarukameiKasumo; Jan 10, 2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:28 AM
VGMdb Advisor

"Wolverine arranges" was poorly written sorry, it meant "arranges of Strider, Rockman" + Wolverine (can't remember if wolverine is new or not). I've editted it for clarity.

These are just examples of what they did, not a complete list by any means.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
"Wolverine arranges" was poorly written sorry, it meant "arranges of Strider, Rockman" + Wolverine (can't remember if wolverine is new or not). I've editted it for clarity.

These are just examples of what they did, not a complete list by any means.
Same difference in all three cases:

Strider: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaQwum7FGsw

Music Composition: Junko Tamiya
http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/583860-strider/data
--->Ending Theme (40) comes from Jungle Level (aka Roaring) (aka is also an arrangement) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZwzRRHn53k#t=12m08s

Rockman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOQhuuG1rfs
Wolverine: Never had the same theme twice until MvC3, so Masato = composition since Yuko is specifically credited for arrangement.

Captain Commando: ???? [Callisto/Stage 9/Last Stage?]
Jin: ?????

I'm sorry, but like Morrigan, I don't see any previous compositions to relate them to.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Jan 11, 2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
M VS SF:
- Yuki Iwai: Zangief midi arrange (performed by her younger brother, plays tenor sax)

I just listened to the samples from the linked site, those found under "INDEX"

1 = Theme of Ken
2 = (inaccessible)
3 = Theme of Dhalsim
4 = Theme of Shuma-Gorath

So what does that mean for MSH vs. SF, exactly?

Also, where do CapCom and Jin's themes come from, exactly? I have an idea of the Captain but Jin is completely beyond me.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Jan 14, 2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 03:29 PM

Didn't Jin's theme come from Cyberbots: Fullmetal Madness?
Old Jan 13, 2011, 06:09 PM

My guesses. It's fairly easy to tell the difference between the two. The only thing that would throw me off is if Kouda took a more simplistic approach, or if I underestimate Takehara.
(I started this list before the Yuko revelations. Also, I'm a big fan of Kouda)

Green = Pretty darn certain

01 OPENING YT
02 PLAYER SELECT YT
03 VS. MK
04 THEME of WAR MACHINE MK
05 THEME of CAPTAIN AMERICA YT
06 THEME of HULK MK
07 HURRY UP
08 WIN MK
09 THEME of WOLVERINE YT
10 THEME of GAMBIT YT
11 THEME of SPIDER-MAN MK easily
12 THEME of VENOM MK
13 HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER
14 RANKING MK
15 VARIABLE CROSS MK
16 THEME of RYU YT
17 THEME of CAPTAIN COMMANDO YT
18 THEME of CHUN-LI MK
19 THEME of JIN YT [Honestly, this one kind of sounds like a mix between them, so I'm not exactly sure, but there is a lick in there that sounds similar to Wolverine]
20 THEME of ZANGIEF [The arrangement is kind of laid back for MK compared to the other arrangements, but I'm still not confident in guessing]
21 CONTINUE MK
22 GAME OVER MK
23 THEME of STRIDER HIRYU YT
24 THEME of MORRIGAN MK easily
25 THEME of ROCKMAN YT
26 THEME of ROLL [Hard to tell. The arrangement is fairly identical to the original]
27 THEME of HIDDEN CHARACTER YT
28 BOSS INTRODUCTION [No idea. Leaning towards YT]
29 THEME of ONSLAUGHT I YT
30 THEME of ONSLAUGHT II YT
31 ENDING -AFTER THE BATTLE-
32 ENDING -PEACE-
33 ENDING -TENSION-
34 ENDING -GRIEF-
35 ENDING -GAMBIT- MK
36 ENDING -VENOM- MK
37 ENDING -ROLL1- YT
38 ENDING -ROLL2- YT
39 ENDING -RYU- YT
40 ENDING -STRIDER HIRYU- YT
41 ENDING -MORRIGAN- MK
42 ENDING -ROCKMAN1- YT
43 ENDING -ROCKMAN2- YT
44 STAFF ROLL MK easily

Also, isn't War Machine a new track? (Referring to the credits in the notes)

Last edited by strugglepoo; Jan 14, 2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strugglepoo View Post
Also, isn't War Machine a new track? (Referring to the credits in the notes)
Oh, you silly banana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBd3Y8298rU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxHZbfzSII0

@PsychoZeke
Checked all of it and Armored Warriors. I honestly think that Cap and Jin are new themes, much like Morrigan. They just aren't as obviously arranged as Ryu, Chun-Li, Zangief, Strider, Rockman, and Roll.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubihanyou View Post
[...]

@PsychoZeke
Checked all of it and Armored Warriors. I honestly think that Cap and Jin are new themes, much like Morrigan. They just aren't as obviously arranged as Ryu, Chun-Li, Zangief, Strider, Rockman, and Roll.
Yeah, gave both a quick listen and I couldn't identify any to have similarities to Jin's theme. CapCom's theme I thought was taken from the arcade game... Nevertheless, it's possible they're all new compositions.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 09:55 PM

Never listened to the entire armored warriors OST but i have listened to all of Captain Commando's, and it is true, if it were from the original, why does it include that one melody from cyclops's theme from the previous game? Also, people notice that it shares some similarities with Nash's theme, which i agree with, but it also shares some similarities with Wolverine's theme from X-Men vs SF, which i guess shared some similarities with nash's theme as well, just not as obvious as this one. I could tell even before comparison that it was Yuko's anyway, her style is kind of obvious, well most of the time, for me it is anyway. This is why i suspect so many of her songs, i have gotten myself adjusted to her style that it can't hide from me anymore, not to say she'll never surprise me every now and then, but for the most part, she always leaves these "clues" if you will.

I am not familiar with Masato's style, to be honest, though, but i am tied up in between yuko and masato with Roll's theme. I always assumed masato but the bassline i notice is very strikingly similar to that of Boomer Kuwanger's theme from Rockman X, which Yuko worked on and Masato didn't, and also just about all of us suspect Yuko was responsible for that song considering it also sharing many of her traits, like the hat tap, the HIT instrument being similar to the brass hit of "I'll Do It" from Breath of Fire II. This is why i am left tied up, a lot of it doesn't sound like something yuko would do, but that bassline is as similar to Boomer Kuwanger as Captain Commando's theme is Nash's. There is still a good chance in my mind that it was Masato, and it wouldn't surprise me if it were, but that bassline made me think, so i am not drawing out anything conclusive. Maybe if i could have a better example of Masato's work i might be able to form a better opinion? I don't know. This is something we'll have to see.

Boomer Roll Bassline Comparison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9t7JPZJVSQ
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubihanyou View Post
There's definitely a link with the keyboard part in the intro, but beyond that, it's a brand new theme.

I just listened to the original Rockman Battle & Chase version of Roll's theme and I was a bit hasty in assuming it could be either of them. The arrangement is pretty faithful to the original, so it's hard to hear any influence from either side. The bassline is the same in the original, too, so I don't know.

Also, I changed my guess for Jin to Takehara. There's a lick in the melody that sounds familiar to Wolverine's theme. I assumed Kouda at first because the chord just before the loop reminded me of him. Man, this one is tough.

Last edited by strugglepoo; Jan 14, 2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 04:20 PM

Sorry if this is a dumb reason to bump this topic or if this is dumb at all, but i just noticed the Intro to the Magic User's Club OVA series(OVA series only, the TV series had a different theme entirely) sounds very similar to the intro to Captain Commando's theme in this game, not just the notes, but even when the drums kick in it sounds like it.

Magic User's Club Intro Theme

Captain Commando's Theme

Just thought i'd point this out. Makes me wonder if this was intentional.