VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 7, 2009, 03:31 PM

I just got my hands on a copy today, and I'm curious about some of the markings on the materials. In addition to the catalog number CPCA-10166~70 is TGCS-3340~4. Also, on the back of the box, next to a symbol I don't recognize, is the date 2008.05.30, though the release date 06-05-31 is in a box. The TGCS numbers are what's actually pressed on the CD (though the label has both CPCA and TGCS). Is this a reprint? If not, what does the 2008 date mean? It can be vaguely seen, though out of focus, in Secret Squirrel's scan.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 05:40 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I probably ought to put these in the FAQ, because they are both sources of common confusion in the VGM community. There are some good explanations here:

http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1250

The short of it is that your copy is an original, and that these two things are normal.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 01:19 AM

Ah, ok, thanks Secret. Sorry for asking a frequent question.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:35 AM

Just out of curiosity, is the title for this soundtrack supposed to be Okami or Ookami? The first kanji seems to suggest a double o and I have also seen various sites that have an overscore over the single 'o' when it's written "Okami", again, suggesting that there's supposed to be two o's.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:41 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Well, it depends on the romanization system you use. Some replace the double vowels with the bar over the vowel, while others just shorten them to the single letter equivalent. Okami was the English title, so we can take that as their official romanization.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:59 AM

It's worth mentioning that the logo on the box art for both releases still uses the macron (Ō). Also, if I'm not mistaken, the 'Ō' usually translates to 'Ou' or 'Oo', although I've seen 'Oh', as well.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand, I much prefer Ōkami myself. Love the game, love the music.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 07:17 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I'm surprised that I never noticed the macron on the game box and on the official site. That makes it pretty official, even if rather unusual.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 09:01 AM

I know this might sound crazy, but I think a game with so many soundtracks that fill 5 CDs is a bit too much. I think 2 CDs is just about right for a game (and for me).
Old Jul 2, 2009, 09:05 AM
VGMdb Advisor

So what? Do you think they should make the music depending on the size of the soundtrack CD and not on what the game actually needs? Yes, it definitely sounds crazy!!
Old Jul 2, 2009, 09:36 AM

As long as it's not spoiled by fillers,that's OK.
Quality stuff should always be welcomed.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 10:09 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Actually, only the first 4 CDs are filled with in-game music. The fifth CD mostly contains some music prototypes that were used to promote the game during development, aside from some jingle tracks that don't amount to much time-wise.

I played the game, and felt that the amount of music was a perfect fit for the game. It's a rather long game too (I clocked about 90 hours, finishing all but a few small things -- and I didn't bother trying to find all the fish.)
Old Jul 2, 2009, 10:46 AM

Well... I actually think that 60% of the music of this game is filler. The mood, style and tone definitely work for the game, but not a lot of the music stand out, in my opinion.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 01:36 PM
VGMdb Advisor

There are quite a number of excellent tracks, so as long as they are here... Besides, the actual box looks wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
(I clocked about 90 hours, finishing all but a few small things -- and I didn't bother trying to find all the fish.)
90 hours?!!
Old Jul 2, 2009, 02:29 PM

Regardless of whether this soundtrack is too much or not, I do think the story of the game should have been much shorter though. I found it quite hard to keep my attention to the game. A lengthy story is not always bad (I'd love to play a full version of Xenogears) but Okami's was simply not enough interesting, IMO.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 06:55 PM

Kudos to Mr. Squirrel. I agree a lot of it seems like filler out of context, but all in all Okami's soundtrack works great in the game and is a very stylish work overall. If it got an incomplete soundtrack release, people would only complain the other way! I just went with the option of compiling all my favourites into a nice set.

As for 5 CDs, it worked for FFIX great too.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 06:56 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
90 hours?!!
Actually, I think it was in the high 80s, but I was a completist and beat the 8-dot blockhead, won all the optional demon gate battles, fed all the animals, won the race against Kai, and found every bead. Also, there was a learning curve because I've never really played any 3-D platform games (not that this was a platform game, but it had some elements of one).
Old Jul 4, 2009, 12:45 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Well, I did as much as you (all side quests apart from fishing), and I beat the game in a little less than 50 hours. So I guess you can definitely blame the learning curve (and I must be used to the genre, although the game in itself is pretty easy to go through)

Last edited by Zanasea; Jul 4, 2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 08:31 AM

I love Okami's soundtrack. I especially love the tracks that start as "simpler" versions, and go right into the next one as the "full" version, if you will. Like, for example, Shinshu Plains I is pretty awesome track on its own with the strings and horns, but really blows up as Shinshu Plains II, with the added percussion, koto and whatever else.

Just love it.

I should really finish the game.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 03:30 PM
VGMdb Administrator

So, the macron issue has come up again, due to a pending edit. After learning that it is official, I softened my stance on this, but if we go with this, it should be the display title and not an alternate.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 03:10 PM

I don't know how the actual booklets are like, but weren't our booklet scans just rotated? They don't look like being rightly added to me.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:51 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Anybody notice the beginning of "Okami Image Song Prototype II" sounds just like "A Wise Tail" (1:11) from Heroes of Might and Magic IV? Ueda obviously used the same vocal sample, but there's a plucked string instrument part that's also remarkably similar. Could be the vox and strings came together as part of some sample library.

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Sep 17, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
Anybody notice the beginning of "Okami Image Song Prototype II" sounds just like "A Wise Tail" (1:11) from Heroes of Might and Magic IV? Ueda obviously used the same vocal sample, but there's a plucked string instrument part that's also remarkably similar. Could be the vox and strings came together as part of some sample library.
Yep. That part is straight up stock.
If anyone's curious, I've collected some other stock stuff, big and small, over here.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:54 AM

Sorry for bringing up an old soundtrack but is it just me or the music of the Gale Shrine isn't included in this OST? I really like the theme but I can't seem to find it maybe it's called something different?

Edit: Looks like it's the same as the Cursed Hanasaki Valley.

Last edited by alexbip15; Jun 6, 2014 at 05:40 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 09:13 AM

Does anybody happen to know the source of the "English (Localized)" versions of the tracklist on this page? Is it all fan translated?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 09:32 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukaCola View Post
Does anybody happen to know the source of the "English (Localized)" versions of the tracklist on this page? Is it all fan translated?
Taken from the in-game jukebox that gets unlocked on completion of the game
Old May 23, 2021, 09:42 PM

I've fixed the capitalization for the localized titles to match the digital releases, prior to this edit every individual word had been incorrectly capitalized.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 09:26 AM

One thing to note by the way: The song, Reset, does not appear on the US Okami soundtrack on itunes. I know, because I checked