VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jan 2, 2010, 09:48 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Default Scans - Moiré Patterns

So I was trying to make a scan of a booklet yesterday and I just couldn't get any good results - I kept getting, what I've just found out about - Moiré Patterns, all over my scans. So I read this: http://www.scantips.com/basics06.html

Now, I've been trying to Google up some guides for removing these patterns from scans (since apparently my scanner - Brother DCP-115C doesn't offer descreen). So basically, I just want to know, how do you guys make your scans for vgmdb? I've been trying all sorts of settings and guides. I even tried upgrading the firmware for my scanner. I made a scan of the disc and it looks great, no Moiré patterns there. I know that there's a copyright protection (or whatever) on most(if not all) booklets, magazines and such, so that's probably why I didn't get any Moiré patterns on the disc scan.

Last edited by Nisto; Jan 2, 2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 02:53 PM

Haven't scanned anything lately,but back in the days when I did,I usually scans in the largest dpi possible (in my case 1200dpi)Note that when you scan,don't keep the booklet parallel to the scanner,try to tile the booklet a bit,this will reduce the pattern. Then add some blur using some image editer(in my case Neat Image),this step is kinda tricky,you need to blur the patterns out and keep the details,this is why I scan at huge dpi.
Finally turn the scan straight and cut out the needless part of the scan and resize the image to a reasonable size(PNG format recommended) an you are done.
This is a scan done by me as an example:
http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=37027
Oh,and welcome to the community.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:36 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Gaussian Blur and Image resizing has been working pretty good, although the scans almost look too blurry in the end. And unsharp mask, which several moiré removal tutorials recommends to use, doesn't exactly make it look any better.

Although, by just resizing a little higher than 1200 dpi-scan it may look pretty good.