VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jul 1, 2013, 07:35 PM

So now this is an official Ubiktune release. I was going to update the details to reflect this new status, but as the soundtrack was available prior the Ubiktune, say, endorsement, I wondered if I should leave like it is, add a note or what.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 06:57 PM

Also an official Joypad Records release, released the same day as Bandcamp.

Any updated thoughts on how we should mark these? Published by Joypad Records (and distributed by iTunes, loudr, Amazon, etc) | published and distributed by Bandcamp | published by Ubiktune?
Old Sep 25, 2013, 04:56 PM

I went ahead and added Ubiktune as a co-publisher, even though it's basically relegated to promoter, which is one of the tasks of a publisher, anyway. Did the same in a bunch of other entries in the db. I simply added a link to Loudr, since it only seems to be selling the album, not actually doing any publishing task, unless GermanSeabass says otherwise. Maybe as an aggregator for iTunes and the like?

9-bit Records is another publisher that defines itself as one, but also specifies it only takes care of spreading word of mouth. Guess the running costs for these new publishers are fairly low compared to the old behemoths

Still these new roles are quite nebulous. You can consider practically everything as a publisher, include this very same site. We need to define where we draw the line, I think. Several Ubiktune releases already on the db have it as the sole publisher, despite the album being sold directly from the creator via Bandcamp.

Last edited by Lashiec; Sep 25, 2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 07:35 PM

Everything is nebulous. Aggregators, distributors, and stores don't publish, they sell. Ubiktune promotes. Bandcamp sells.

If anything, Jeff Ball would be the publisher for his own release on Bandcamp, and Joypad Records would be the publisher for the release on Loudr and iTunes. Until rules get solidified about how things are named and categorized, I'm okay with whatever.