VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:19 PM

Default Advice wanted on organizing soundtracks

This could be a longshot, but I'm hoping someone here might have some insight on a personal "quest" of mine. I'm a big soundtrack fan, but I'd like a better way to sort my music when listening. I'm not talking about generating ID3 tags and proper info, that's no problem. What I mean is I want a way to have my music sorted in such a way that it can blend together well when I listen to it. My end-goal is to be able to select some sort of category, hit random play, and all the pre-organized music will fit that general theme, so I don't even have to think about it when I want to listen to a certain style of music.

Any soundtrack fan knows just how enormous the variety is on soundtracks, which makes it hell for me to find some sort of meaningful criteria for organizing custom categories to listen to. Some music sounds like it belongs in a carnival, some in a desert, some is peaceful, some is aggressive for part of the track, calm the rest, some has more of an 8-bit sound quality to it, others are more modern renditions, etc. How do you people listen to music? Do you decide on a new playlist every time you want to listen to music or do you have some sort of system so that your music blends together well?

The real question is how would you recommend I organize my music? I'm totally willing to put time in organizing it, but once it's organized, I don't want to have to think about it, I just want to be able to select a category and enjoy it. Organizing by composer and album doesn't accomplish much in that regard if I'm looking for a similar theme when I listen to the music.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.