VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Product (Game) Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 13, 2021, 04:01 PM

Any idea why there hasn't been a soundtrack released for this game? I really like the music, I think it's some of the most original and creative so far!
Old Nov 13, 2021, 04:32 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Tear View Post
Any idea why there hasn't been a soundtrack released for this game? I really like the music, I think it's some of the most original and creative so far!
The answer is quite obvious:
Quote:
Publisher: Nintendo
Old Nov 13, 2021, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
The answer is quite obvious:
You say this as if there hasn't been a soundtrack release for every main series Pokemon game for the past 20 years.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
You say this as if there hasn't been a soundtrack release for every main series Pokemon game for the past 20 years.
Exactly. This doesn't answer my question. There are soundtracks for each main Pokémon game available, aren't there? Well, exept for the N64 ones maybe like Stadium or Snap. Also, the recently released Pokémon Snap didn't have its soundtrack. But every main entry like Red, Blue, Gold, Diamond, etc. has its soundtrack, so why not this one?

I wonder of Shining Diamond and Brilliant Pearl will receive a soundtrack. If so, then why not Sword/Shield?
Old Nov 23, 2021, 06:27 PM

Glad I'm not the only one wondering why there's still no official release...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
Not only that but they're also the only Nintendo games where they bother making them officially available in the West, digitally via the iTunes Store (no physical release but it's better than nothing). Thanks GAME FREAK / The Pokémon Company I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Tear View Post
But every main entry like Red, Blue, Gold, Diamond, etc. has its soundtrack, so why not this one?
Pokémon soundtracks were usually released close to the game's release date, but since Sword/Shield are the first Pokémon games with DLC, I thought that maybe the soundtracks will be released after the last DLC (similar to Breath of the Wild). Unfortunately, that wasn't the case even after the second DLC, and I'd be surprised if they're still planning other content updates now that BDSP and Legends Arceus are here.

One other reason could be the collaboration with an external composer (Toby Fox). I think it's the first time that it happened on a mainline series game, so maybe there are issues in terms of copyright/licensing.

I recently asked Junichi Masuda on Twitter if they're planning an official OST release as he's quite active there and semi-regularly answer to random people, but I go no answer unfortunately, even when translated in Japanese.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMkh View Post
One other reason could be the collaboration with an external composer (Toby Fox). I think it's the first time that it happened on a mainline series game, so maybe there are issues in terms of copyright/licensing.

I recently asked Junichi Masuda on Twitter if they're planning an official OST release as he's quite active there and semi-regularly answer to random people, but I go no answer unfortunately, even when translated in Japanese.
I don't think it's about copyright/licensing, as what I've heard, Toby Fox only contributed one song to the soundtrack (Battle Tower), in any case his involvement was minimal and they easily could have omitted that track from the official release.

Interesting about Junichi Masuda! A shame he didn't answer your question (thanks for asking him anyway!). Maybe he does reply on a later date #keepsfingerscrossed
Old Feb 2, 2022, 12:22 PM

And now we're getting the soundtrack of the original Diamond & Pearl on the official Pokémon YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/XDg0T0hsJkc. And it's even free to download for personal use!

...but still no word on Sword & Shield :/ or even the BDSP remake for that matter... I can only hope they use this release on YouTube as a test drive to see how popular it gets, because at this point there should be no difference between putting a music video on YouTube versus the music tracks on Spotify/AM/iTunes/etc.

I tried again to ask Junichi Masuda on Twitter when he announced the Diamond/Pearl OST being available on a JP-only at the time, but still no answers unfortunately.

Last edited by iMkh; Feb 2, 2022 at 12:29 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMkh View Post
And now we're getting the soundtrack of the original Diamond & Pearl on the official Pokémon YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/XDg0T0hsJkc. And it's even free to download for personal use!

...but still no word on Sword & Shield :/ or even the BDSP remake for that matter... I can only hope they use this release on YouTube as a test drive to see how popular it gets, because at this point there should be no difference between putting a music video on YouTube versus the music tracks on Spotify/AM/iTunes/etc.

I tried again to ask Junichi Masuda on Twitter when he announced the Diamond/Pearl OST being available on a JP-only at the time, but still no answers unfortunately.
I agree with that sentiment. With the exception of Let's Go Pikachu / Eevee, we haven't had any proper soundtrack release since Sun / Moon, and I wonder what's taking them so long? I kinda thought that maybe the pandemic delayed their plans or something, but at this point I don't know what to think. Hopefully they will address this, as I'd love to see releases at least for Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon, Sword / Shield (+DLC), and maybe Legends Arceus as well.

I find it somewhat ironic how, until some years ago, Pokémon soundtrack releases were rather consistent while Nintendo's first party ones were completely scarce, and nowadays it is almost like the exact opposite is happening lol.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 06:44 AM

Official Soundtrack confirmed: https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/statu...70468975804555
Old Dec 7, 2023, 07:56 AM

FINALLY

I've been waiting for these for so long, Sw/Sh and Legends are some of the best soudntrack of the series!
Also, even if a lot of the songs from these games can easily be matched to their most likely composers, official confirmation for composers breakdown will be welcome

Last edited by Mentalo; Dec 7, 2023 at 08:11 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 08:34 AM

Website for the threesome ^^
Old Dec 7, 2023, 12:05 PM

Kinda surprised it took them so long (even to the point of having two further mainline releases ever since Sword/Shield), but better late than never I guess.

If I understand correctly, the website also confirms that, for all soundtracks, there will be comments from the composers (as well as development material, histories behind the creation of the songs, etc.) so I'm really looking forward to them.

Also, I guess Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl won't get a soundtrack release?