VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jul 23, 2009, 06:27 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I had a bonus photo of the three composers I found somewhere and decided to upload it here as well.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:25 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I scanned this picture, it comes from the Ultimania Omega guide. This one has a lenghty interview with them, where they comment a selection of tracks.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 07:42 AM
VGMdb Staff

It's probably best to keep stuff like this - that's not directly linked to the album release - here in the thread instead. There seems to be six pages from this book about the music. Not sure if it would be alright to post the scans here though.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:26 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I recall Blah mentioning in another thread that it's OK to post promotional images in an album's gallery. I don't know if he would consider this to fit in here, but this is the only album these three composers worked on together, so I don't know where else it would go.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:52 AM
VGMdb Staff

It's just that it can be confusing to people who check the gallery and expect that everything there is included in the album.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:35 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I am putting the "Bonus Photo" here as it's effectively not suited in the gallery of the album itself.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:31 PM

Disc 3 Track 07 English is misspelled.

It's set as:
Song of Prayer ~ Siva

It should be:
Song of Prayer ~ Shiva

Can someone fix it? I'm afraid that with my luck I'll break something.....

TIA
Old Apr 1, 2012, 08:33 PM

So we're playing this game where one guy makes an edit, then another changes it back, and round and round we go...

Tidus is not a plural, it is a name. You do not have to drop the 's' after the apostrophe, nor do you have to include it; it comes down to "personal taste" and "consistency". It is one of those bullshit things in the English language that we're going to let everyone fight over. However, there are two reasons I'm going to add the 's' back. First of all, iTunes has it this way in their tracklist. While we shouldn't go out of our way to try and match their tracklists, because they can be full of names that have nothing to do with any of the original Japanese tracklists, we might as well be consistent when possible. Also, dropping the 's' after the apostrophe from non-plurals and names gives the appearance that the word was assumed to be a plural, or at least gives the appearance that the individual didn't know the difference. Dropping the 's' from names just... looks bad.

If you have some sort of counter argument as to why we should drop the 's' after the apostrophe from names, please discuss it here before you just go changing it again, I'd appreciate it. Oh, and also, this obviously applies to a person's name, not something like "The Hunters' Guild", which is technically a name, but "Hunters" is plural. Anyway...

EDIT: Since we're going to translate 異界 as "Farplane" per the context of the game (which I totally agree with), shouldn't 総老師 be Grand Maester? "Reception for Grand Maester Mika" makes more sense to me. Or is 異界 literally used in the Japanese version in place of our word "Farplane", while 総老師 and "Grand Master" are not similarly interchangeable...?

EDIT 2: What decision is being referred to in track 208? It seems that 決意 would refer to determination; this music plays right before a huge Blitzball game IIRC (I played only up to Mi'ihen Highroad in this game many years ago, but remember the huge Blitzball game in Luca). I also haven't seen 不撓 meaning "unwavering", though I know EDICT isn't the bible of translations or anything. I used to have a translation for this called "Inflexible Determination", which I like way more than what we have now.

Last edited by Hellacia; Apr 1, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 06:39 AM
VGMdb Administrator

They actually use "Tidus's" in English text on the Korean version of the soundtrack, so that's one data point in favor of it.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 02:38 PM

Can anyone tell me what's the difference between this version of the soundtrack and the newer one from 2004 (SQEX-10013~6)? Is it just the number and a different publisher logo?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 03:54 PM

I think that almost 100% of the time the answer to that question is yes. Sometimes they also take the opportunity to fix typos in the liner notes and stuff, but the audio on the discs is almost always exactly the same. I say almost always because I'm thinking about the Vagrant Story reprint right now, which was remastered, but that's certainly not the case for the Final Fantasy X reprint.

If there are any slight differences in the artwork (like the Chrono Trigger reprints Layzee went into detail about here in one of those threads) or other very minor differences, I couldn't tell you about that.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 03:07 PM

Thanks for the detailed answer!
Old Dec 20, 2013, 06:20 AM

There are a few scans here specific to the first print, which has its own entry - can the relevant scans be transferred to there?
Old Nov 10, 2016, 01:45 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Finally the arrange album is out!
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:55 PM

That was good. I even enjoyed reading the user comments.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 04:28 AM

Out of curiosity: If the official title is "Zanarkand", and the literal translation of the Japanese title is "At Zanarkand", then where does the far more popular title "TO Zanarkand" come from?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 06:30 AM
VGMdb Advisor

To my knowledge, it's just another unofficial translation from the time before Square revealed the actual official name. "To Zanarkand" is erroneous though, as "nite" indicates the place where the action is set.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 06:47 AM
VGMdb Staff

"To Zanarkand" funnily enough is the title I'll always think of it as. If memory serves, this was the translation doing the rounds back then on sites like GMRO and Chudah's Corner and it took a while for it to completely disappear and be replaced by the correct/official naming. Might be wrong but that's my recollection - if you put To Zanarkand into our search here you'll see that plenty of fan arrangements, both old and new, have stuck with the name so maybe I'm not the only one!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 04:14 AM

I though it was a shame they never put Besaid Island on the XV radio. It would have been the perfect song to walk around in.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:47 PM

I'm confused on the various "Hymn" songs. All those appear to be vocals...so why do they have composer credits? Is that simply to indicate who synthesized the raw audio files? Also, speaking of the "Hymn" songs, can anyone give a specific breakdown of who sung which Hymn?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damned View Post
All those appear to be vocals...so why do they have composer credits?

Excuse me...what? I keep reading this sentence and I'm trying to figure out what universe this sentence make any sense.

Why wouldn't they have composer credits just because they are vocal?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 04:11 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damned View Post
I'm confused on the various "Hymn" songs. All those appear to be vocals...so why do they have composer credits? Is that simply to indicate who synthesized the raw audio files? Also, speaking of the "Hymn" songs, can anyone give a specific breakdown of who sung which Hymn?
I’m not sure I understand your question. Just because a piece of music is performed by vocalists, doesn’t mean someone didn’t have to create the composition. It was composed and then performed. It’s not like it was improvised by the singers.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 04:48 AM

I'd rather think vocals must be samples, "arranged" or whatever by a composer/arranger making think real vocalists has sung the things for ffx (no idea whether it's that or not)

damned just pointed out the fact hymns are sung without bgm, so in all logic there should be only vocalist + lyricist for those
Old Mar 15, 2020, 04:58 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
I'd rather think vocals must be samples, "arranged" or whatever by a composer/arranger making think real vocalists has sung the things for ffx (no idea whether it's that or not)

damned just pointed out the fact hymns are sung without bgm, so in all logic there should be only vocalist + lyricist for those
I think there's some confusion here. As far as the topic we're concerned with here, there's no difference between a composition being written for vocals or for instruments; nor is there any difference between it being virtual instruments/sample libraries (I'm not talking about loops), or live performers (musicians or vocalists). Vocal-only music is still a musical composition. It consists of unique melody, harmony, and rhythm. A composer composed it. In the case of the "Hymn" melody, depending on which version, it's either a single singer, or a chorus of singers singing in unison (so no real harmony), but Uematsu still wrote that melody. It didn't materialize out of thin air. He composed it.

Last edited by Chris Porter; Mar 15, 2020 at 05:20 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 04:10 AM

What planet did I land on that people think vocal music materializes out of thin air?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
What planet did I land on that people think vocal music materializes out of thin air?
I see you ain't familiar with vocaloid concept
Old Mar 16, 2020, 04:49 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
I see you ain't familiar with vocaloid concept
And you apparantly didn't even read the article you're linking to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
To create a song, the user must input the melody and lyrics.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 04:51 AM

man, you try to troll? ok so I will troll too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The software enables users to synthesize "singing" by typing in lyrics and melody
Old Mar 16, 2020, 04:54 AM
Trusted Editor

Identical statement, you need both lyrics and melody. Hence you need both a lyricist and a composer. Better luck next time
Old Mar 16, 2020, 04:59 AM

I never said you didn't need something to initialize a process, you try to smart-ass-ing me tobi?