VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 13, 2008, 09:00 AM
VGMdb Staff

Default VGM ''Sample version"

Hi guys, I've a question:
I recently got a copy of a Capcom GSM 5 album from USA and I discover that this copy has a little red sticker (with japanese words) on the barcodes in the back cover and "SAMPLE" printed in the inner ring of the CD. I checked on the database some scans of VGM CDs like other Capcom GSM and they don't have the word "SAMPLE" printed on them. So what's does this means?
Do exist "normal" version and "sample" version of VGM CDs?
Do they play the same of they have a different sound quality? Do they have the same collector value? Who is able to resolve me the mysterious?
Old Nov 13, 2008, 09:35 AM

I believe that Sample versions are copies of the CD that are given out to radio stations or for other promotional purposes. I think that if the manufacturer wanted, it could demand that the Sample CDs be returned, but I don't know of any instances where this actually happens. The music should be exactly the same.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 02:02 PM

Me do wants!
Old Nov 14, 2008, 05:54 PM

The value is ultimately what people are willing to pay for it. A 'sample' disc would likely get more interest than a regular disc, too because it wasn't one you could buy. I don't think there's a pricing catalogue though, and even if there was, I doubt it would include samples.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 08:36 AM

Actually in Japan, as far as I can tell the way sample discs work is when in the manufacturing process, a predetermined amount of the discs are pressed to check the quality of the overal manufacture of the product. The sample discs are then usually spread around internally or to family, friends and potential buyers (shopowners) to generate interest as well.

While they're definitely more rare than a standard retail edition of the CD, it's not really out of place to find sample editions of different albums in Japan. I have quite a few (of mainstream albums, not vgm) myself.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 07:56 AM
Trusted Editor

Sorry for necrophilia, but could anyone post a picture of such a "Sample sticker" used for Scitron Soundtracks?
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:53 AM
VGMdb Staff

Sample stickers will usually be stuck on top of the bar code, as you can see in this image. There will typically be one on both the obi and on the back liner. The text on the sticker might differ from case to case but it tends to be the same size. It won't be easy to remove it without ruining the paper it's attached to.

"SAMPLE" will also be branded on the inner rim of the disc, as you can see in this image.

Last edited by seanne; Sep 23, 2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 11:16 AM
Trusted Editor

Thank you very much
Old Sep 26, 2009, 03:26 AM

Is this the same or more like a pressing test?

http://vgmdb.net/album/10810
Old Sep 26, 2009, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxingandwanding View Post
Actually in Japan, as far as I can tell the way sample discs work is when in the manufacturing process, a predetermined amount of the discs are pressed to check the quality of the overal manufacture of the product. The sample discs are then usually spread around internally or to family, friends and potential buyers (shopowners) to generate interest as well.

While they're definitely more rare than a standard retail edition of the CD, it's not really out of place to find sample editions of different albums in Japan. I have quite a few (of mainstream albums, not vgm) myself.
We bought from Jun Senoue such CDs, he called them Master CDs which are the finale ones before it went into production, they actually don't have to share the code bar every time.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 05:17 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxKiller65 View Post
Is this the same or more like a pressing test?

http://vgmdb.net/album/10810
The sticker says "QC Test" which I presume stands for "Quality Control Test", so it matches up with waxingandwanding's definition.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 09:01 AM

Cool thanks! First time I see a spinecard glued to the case like this, pretty funny. Anyway it's funny because many people avoid at all costs sample albums while some others love to buy those instead of the standard ones.