VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:42 PM
VGMdb Staff

Default Journey to Silius composer info

I haven't find a post on the database that speaks about this soundtrack, so I'm sorry if it was discussed before.
Did Naoki Kodaka really compose all tracks? Is the a definitive source for this?
Noboyuki Hara and Shinichi Seya are only sound programmer, but who are MARUMO & MABOCHAN that appear also with the others three in the music staff at the ending of the game?
Old Oct 3, 2013, 09:11 PM
Trusted Editor

Shinichi Seya himself has said he was only a programmer and that Kodaka was the composer for all the titles they were credited on. I believe Kodaka said this as well in an interview/article. Noboyuki has been credited as a composer, however. But I'm certain that Kodaka did most or all of the music when they were credited together.

Marumo is Naohisa Morota (he's the one who created the "Sunsoft" bass you hear in the NES games.)

Mabochan is still unconfirmed, but it's possible he is Hodaka Ohmori, who was credited in Freedom Force as a programmer/SFX artist.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 09:52 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I wasn't targeting Journey to Silius last night, but rather mass deleting all Sunsoft doujin credits for Shinichi Seya and Nobuyuki Hara based on their being programmers. Silius just happened to be one of the games affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by depa View Post
MARUMO & MABOCHAN that appear also with the others three in the music staff at the ending of the game?
UGH yes. All those Silius listings I edited only had Kodaka, Seya, and Hara, so when I deleted Seya and Hara, only Kodaka was left. Whoever had originally added the names to those entries omitted Naohisa Morota and Mabochan, and I would've left them there if they'd been there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
Shinichi Seya himself has said he was only a programmer and that Kodaka was the composer for all the titles they were credited on. I believe Kodaka said this as well in an interview/article. Noboyuki has been credited as a composer, however. But I'm certain that Kodaka did most or all of the music when they were credited together.
Waaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit a minute. Sounds like you're unsure that Hara never composed when he worked with Kodaka? I was basing my edits on your post from the Rom Cassette Disc in Sunsoft thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
OK guys, from what I've read here and been told by a friend (who contacted Seya), Kodaka was indeed the sole composer on the games he worked on with Hara and Seya.
I know Hara has composed music (he's credited specifically with composition in Dual Orb II), but this sounded definitive that he didn't write anything when working with Kodaka. Do I have to put Hara back too?
Old Oct 6, 2013, 04:56 PM
Trusted Editor

Nothing confirms (or denies) he did any music with Kodaka on the NES games, but it would be safe to assume that he did at least a few songs/jingles with him. I'm fairly sure Seya was purely a programmer though.